Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #1

1998 explorer 236 holding tank

Just bought a 98 dodge xplorer 236xl 21' class B.

It has one relief pull valve for holding tank. Inside, the panel shows "holding" "grey" "fresh"

My questions are: Are both black and grey water going into the same tank and thus emptied at the same timed? How can there be two monitors if everything is going into one tank?

And lastly: Am I going crazy?

This is not my first RV but my smallest. Designed by engineers with a sense of humor, for sure!
trvlguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #2

Fill the "holding tank". press the monitor button for "holding". Does it say full ?. then press the button for "grey".If it says full, then you probably have one tank..
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:22 AM   #3

Emptied the tank(s). So all lights show empty "holdin" "grey" and 1/2 tank "fresh"...I pumped that fresh water in. So as I understand what I'm seeing, one pull dumps everything in the holding tank, and everything in the holding tank is a mix of grey and black water.

That said...why would the factory include a monitor for "grey" if a tank for grey doesn't exist?

Is there a way to trickle the grey out so as not let it get to the tank. This saves space in the tank, allows a longer shower, too.

To witness this unit is different from reading the original manual (which I have).

So this also means I cany clean my dump line with soapy grey water, becausae it's mixed in with everything else. I guess I disconnect the hose and clean it the old fashion way.

Has anybody had to deal with this problem. This unit is in very good factory condition. I am th third owner. 68000 miles on the motor. 165.8 hours on the generator.

please let me hear yhour thoughts especislly if you have sam unit.
Thanks...
Old 06-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #4

Perhaps the monitor panel is one the factory used for multiple applications. i.e. maybe some units had 2 tanks, some only one, but used the same panel..
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #5

The more I study it, the more I realize that the specs and equipment chnged after operator's manual was written.

I think it originally was produced with a recirculating toilet. So, grey water always went into holding tank, but black water was in special black tank connected to the stool. That was released first, then the grey water to clean the line.

Just hate the thought of 15% black and the rest grey from showers and sinks, but have to treat it all as black water.

Maybe I'll run into someone with the same equipment.

Thanks for the reads and replys.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:19 PM   #6

may i ask-how much did you pay for your xplorer? i am looking for the same thing and can only find one for $21,000-1999. I know someone who paid $12,000 and had it shipped to him. A 1998-dodge type. Thanks for any help.
debest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank