Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2020, 03:59 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
2020 Coachmen Beyond Li3 System

We are considering buying a 2020 Coachmen Beyond 22C Class B. The Rv has the Li3 system and I was wondering if RVs here had an opinion or experience with this system either Pro or Con. Thanks
rpgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2020, 05:01 PM   #2

It's a very nice coach, and we almost bought one before finding a used Airstream Interstate that we picked up instead. I have read that the Xantrex inverter charger can be a bit of a challenge to configure, but once you have it set up, it's great. One more thing: given you're buying new, make sure it's built in the latest greatest version of the Ford Transit chassis so you get all the latest safety features and driver / passenger seats that can rotate to face the cabin.
Rocinante440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:01 AM   #3

No personal experience, but there are some vids out there.....
Old 09-23-2020, 06:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgibbs View Post
We are considering buying a 2020 Coachmen Beyond 22C Class B. The Rv has the Li3 system and I was wondering if RVs here had an opinion or experience with this system either Pro or Con. Thanks
I have a Galleria with Li3 system, and I love it. I specifically did not want a generator, especially not a propane fueled generator, and use the van primarily as a travel van with all the creature comforts rather than a rolling house for living in for extended periods of time. Travel between western NY, FL, and TX, which is a lot of driving, with a couple of overnights on each leg, plus lunch breaks on the road and such.

The Li3 system documentation stinks. It's just a collection of Xantrex literature, with no actual wiring diagram or owner instructions from Coachmen. I don't think that's particularly unusual with RV's these days, but for a complex system like this, a real user manual with as-built electrical (and plumbing) schematic would be invaluable. Even the AC and DC panel legends are mostly illegible (see below), but I'm working on that too.

I found one of the three solar panels not connected, from the factory. The leads were laying in the overhead where the controls are, tucked into some insulation. That explained why I could even get 10A out of 300W (total) solar panels. There is a Cat5 cable that's not connected to anything in the wheel well where the BMS and other electrics are located. A wifi router that is connected, for getting into the inverter/charger, which is of limited utility. I had to figure that one out on my own, from the pile of documents it came with. I'm not sure it's all connected together correctly, though. I'm still working on that.

It does some weird stuff, like the inverter trying to create 120V when the BMS and DC main contactor are inactive but the engine is running and the 280A second alternator is trying to charge the battery even though it's all off. Some contactor starts clicking in and out and my voltmeter nightlight goes on and off. Something ain't right about that, so I turn the BMS on and the battery charges. Even though I don't necessarily want it to charge, especially when I have it at 50% SOC for the winter but I have to run the engine to move the vehicle.

I'm sure there's more to complain about, but the positives outweigh it all. I can run the roof A/C off the battery for hours. I've never tried to see how long, as that depends on how much the compressor runs, and if the fan is set to cycle with the compressor. But for stopping for a couple of hours for lunch or whatever with the roof air running, it's great. I can also not even bother to plug in at an RV park if I'm feeing lazy. Just have to be careful, if running heat, to use LP instead of electric, as electric resistance heat will suck the battery down before morning if it's cold outside. But the inverter can easily handle either of those loads. And the cooktop. And the microwave. And the fridge/freezer.

I can also run the roof A/C while on the road, off the DC system and inverter, and the alternator can easily handle it (same as in the video above). The latest version of the Galleria and Beyond offer the 20kBTU Pro-Air DC air conditioning system, which doesn't require inverting battery power to AC, and runs directly off the battery. More efficient, plus it has higher capacity, which is important in hot areas (insulation is pretty thin). The standard A/C is 13.5kBTU, but I see they're using the Coleman Mach 10 NDQ, which should be much quieter than the Penguin II I have in mine. In case you're considering the non-Li3 version.

Being a LiFePO4 battery, you have to be careful about ambient temperature. They take a bit more care and feeding in extreme weather than lead-acid types. I use a heating blanket wrapped around mine in the winter, plugged into a flat extension cord out the back door, to keep it above freezing in the winter. The BMS will allow you to draw power down to around 0F, but it won't allow it to charge below 32F, and Xantrex says it's best to store it at approximately 50% SOC and 50F or thereabouts, so that's what I do. I use a wifi enabled thermostatic control and light dimmer to keep the heater power to about 40-50W, with the thermostat (with remote temperature probe) switching it on and off as needed. I could remove the battery I suppose, but it's pretty big and heavy, and I'm not as young as I used to be, so I button it up and heat it. I also put a trickle charger on the van battery via the dash power port, but only charge it every few weeks. Lead acid doesn't self discharge very fast when it's cold, and there's a better disconnect under the gas pedal (M-B - don't know about the Ford).

That's all that comes to mind at the moment. For my needs it's been exactly what I want. Your mileage may vary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DC Panel reduced.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	554.6 KB
ID:	302004  
Old 09-14-2021, 10:46 AM   #5

Replying to kanzkran post # 4

I’ve got a 2021 Galleria Li3 and it won’t charge off shore power but charges off engine. Do you have any idea where the Xantrex inverter is located? I’ve pulled just about everything apart.

Thanks

Allen
Astewart999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astewart999 View Post
I’ve got a 2021 Galleria Li3 and it won’t charge off shore power but charges off engine. Do you have any idea where the Xantrex inverter is located? I’ve pulled just about everything apart.

Thanks

Allen
Mine is under the couch, in the rear, on the passenger side. The battery is on the driver's side, also under the couch, and the battery management system is under the little side seat that covers the wheel well on the driver's side. That 3000W inverter/charger is not small, so it would be pretty hard to miss. Same with the battery, being the big red box that it is. There are two big battery cables, and a couple of little ones, in a smurf tube strapped to the bottom of the couch.

You may not have the Xantrex unit set to charge the battery. That function, along with the inverter function, can be turned on/off via the remote panel or the ethernet/wifi access screen (need the app to do it), along with a bunch of other variables.

Like the shore power ampacity, which can be dropped as low as 5A. It tells the charger how much shore power is available so it can scale itself back when the current reaches 80% of that setting, to prioritize the other loads over battery charging.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:49 AM   #7

Found Inverter

I found the inverter built into a bench covering the passenger rear wheel well. You were spot on, I checked the Firefly VegaTouch software and the Inverter and Charger are both showing "Disabled". When I push the disable box a green dot appears but nothing happens. Went to Inverter/Charger settings toggled between Sleep and Wake but no change. I gave Xantrex a call and they said there is no way to software disable the Charger/Inverter. They want me to pull Inverter/Charger out and test power levels. Any ideas?

Have you found a source for RV documentation? I've been searching all the vendor sites looking for their PDFs for each piece of equipment. I would have thought Coachmen would have provided the original documents or at least a USB key with PDFs. They gave me original documents for all the appliances, but the was it.

Thanks

Allen
Old 09-15-2021, 11:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astewart999 View Post
Went to Inverter/Charger settings toggled between Sleep and Wake but no change. I gave Xantrex a call and they said there is no way to software disable the Charger/Inverter. They want me to pull Inverter/Charger out and test power levels. Any ideas?
I'm not clear on what that means. I can enable or disable the inverter function or the charger function (separately) though the remote panel that I just installed recently, or through the software access via my phone or ipad or computer.

In the photo below, the up and down arrows correspond to Enable Inverter and Enable Charger, which are both disabled, and the Shr is for setting the circuit ampacity for Shore Power. The 12A load is the air conditioner, as all shore input and inverter output power, as well as battery voltage and current, goes through the SW3012 inverter/charger, so it's convenient to see it all on the home screen. But it's also all visible using the wifi connection; just not as convenient.

Edit: This is actually someone else's thread about the Coachmen Beyond - I might suggest you start your own to discuss your situation, which I'm happy to try to help with, of course, if I can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Run Current.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	343170  
Old 09-16-2021, 11:06 AM   #9

Thanks for the suggestion

Posted under "2021 Galleria Inverter/Charger Disabled"

Tags
coachmen, li3