Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2021, 02:08 AM   #1

Any better alternative

I am a RV rookie and have a Storyteller overland (STO) Beast on order

… the delivery would still take many months and I would like to keep my options open, … so

do you have any suggestion for a [hopefully better] alternative, taking into account the following elements:

- traveling solo (divorced, 50yo active male)
- living full time on the road, with a base in Miami FL
- MB sprinter chasis, love the comfort, tech and diesel
- boon-ducking is a priority , so needs to be 4x4 offroad capable, with offroad tires and suspension
- great electrical system, volta or close, no propane or generator. needs to be able to run AC for at least 8 hours (Miami FL)
- need to be able to fit a MTB inside plus other gear
- a fixed shower would be great, although I also like the STO halo shower
- 4 season insulation, with hot water
- not a fan of winn revel constricted space, tons of cheap plastic and lack of overhead cabinets
- my main dislike of STO is porta potty. I would love something fixed, maybe cassette based. Not sure how to get around this in STO , tbh. I explain, even when I appreciate the flexibility of halo shower and porta potty, I really like my privacy for my basic needs. Not sure that STO setup offers that
- A better styling than STO would be great, although not the main priority.
- the 2nd alternator and boost m-power extender in the beast is great. I would love something equivalent
- keep it below 200k

I have searched but have not found an equivalent built that ticks all the boxes

… the closest one, according to my search, is the new 2022 Tiffin Cahaba, that I really like, from the videos that I’ve watched. main concern though are the offroad capabilities and ground clearance (all the connectors are at running boards levels &#128528 . Also, some of these videos show that the cabling on the roof is a big mess, although maybe this was just a prototype

thanks in advanced 🙏🏻👍🏼

PS: I have rented a STO before , so I have experience with sprinter camper vans and STO in particular
mindanalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2021, 07:47 AM   #2

EVERYTHING made in the RV world is a compromise of some type. From everything that you have described about the way that you want to use it and live, I think the Storyteller would work best.

The other class B's including mine are made for normal travel and normal boon-docking.

In a way, the Storyteller's bathroom IS private since you will be traveling alone! Some people with Class B's use Gym's for showering and bathroom use.

I researched a lot of Class B's before my purchase and unless you order from Advanced RV in Ohio that allows the customer to customize each unit, you may have found the best for your needs.

Good luck!
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:20 PM   #3

Sportsmobile. Built to your specs.
Glennabbott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 10:35 PM   #4

I know this is an old thread, but what did you purchase? Your requirements are similar to mine. I've looked at ST but the Colorado Campervans and Sportsmobile look really good.
Old 12-06-2022, 08:01 PM   #5

Just saw a new small Class C called the Aeon RV. Looks interesting, maybe take a look at that unit? https://aeonrv.com/

There are already several YT video walk-throughs for it.
Rocinante440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 12:10 PM   #6

Wow that is a beautiful rig. 200K though, yikes.
Old 12-10-2022, 01:04 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
No way I’d consider full timing in a $200k rig equipped with only a porta potty. A Bear wouldn’t be the only one (mod edit) in the woods.
Nah, did that with an 8’ truck camper when I was young, dumb and full of adventure. Something to be said about large tanks and creature comforts.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 06:56 PM   #8

I think this is why all these discussion threads are so valuable. We actually prefer a toilet situation that is more portable and/or does not involve a black tank. I really like what Embassy RVs offer, but not crazy about their bed.