RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-09-2020, 12:33 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 615
It is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddykern View Post
We bought a Pleasure-Way XLMB and have been very happy with the build quality. Three years and 24,000 miles and no Pleasure-Way issues. Very few problems with the installed accessories but that is not a Pleasure-way issue. Our MH is on the 3500 MB Sprinter cutaway and have had no issues with it at all. Drives like a dream.

Suggest finding the interior plan that you like the best of the major brands and go with it. We preferred the XLMB because of no slides and Murphy bed makes the inside seem huge when stowed. The Murphy bed can keep all the bedding and pillows on when stowing away and and only take a minute to deploy when time to sleep.

The B+ C argument. When I was researching buying a B I came along a B+ and decided that was what I wanted. Searching for a class B+ got me to all the manufacturers I was looking for. So B+ classification helps to narrow an internet search down to the small, no overhang class C's I wanted to look at. Yes I know it is really a class C.
That's what the state says it's registered as a Class C... and RVIA only has 3 classes of vehicles.... there is no classification in the RVIA for a Class B+.

Some claim this is a "real Class"....in Massachusetts... it's not... the term "auto house" or auto home or house car is a broad term to describe the function of the vehicle, it is not the class registration which is a completely separate issue.

Neither California or Massachusetts specify what class these vehicles are, they are broad categories in the vehicle code handbook.

In the California vehicle code there's this definition,

Housecar (CVC §362)—A motor vehicle originally designed for, or permanently altered, to be equipped for human habitation, or to which a camper has been permanently attached. A housecar is not a motortruck.

In Massachusetts, there's this definition,

Auto Home Plates
Auto Home:
A. Definition: Auto home, any motor vehicle originally designed or permanently
altered and equipped for human habitation which is not used to transport property
other than that property used for human habitation or camping purposes. A motor
vehicle designed primarily to transport property which has been temporarily altered
or equipped for human habitation shall not be deemed to be an auto home.
(M.G.L. ch. 90 s. 1)

Once the vehicle is registered they are assigned a particular Class based on standards..

There's a big difference between what the actual registration papers say from a few words printed on someone's license plates.

If someone can prove to me that their actual registration papers say it is a Class B+, I'll be happy to change my mind..

Let me reiterate..... there is absolutely nothing wrong with Class C's..... they are designed to carry and sleep more than 2 people.... it's not a Class B is better or worse situation...geez, people stop being so tribal about this...be happy with what you bought.... there's no point in trying to convince someone who has one vehicle or the other..... it's just a mind fudge....

As for Class B+ ( really Class C's). yes, this discussion is really more appropriate in the Class C forum in my opinion. So, when I see people getting all excited about making assertions and jumping all over this topic and are in the Class B forum and they really own a registered Class C....


Motorhome—A motor vehicle designed to provide temporary living quarters, built as an integral part of, or permanently attached to, a self-propelled motor vehicle chassis or van and includes a motorhome manufactured by a licensed motorhome manufacturer.


Van Camper—A van camper is a complete vehicle purchased from a recognized vehicle manufacturer and converted (usually by the installation of carpet, curtains, additional seating, etc.) for human habitation or camping purposes.

Van campers are registered using the original manufacturer’s make, VIN, and year model. However, completed van-type vehicles altered prior to original registration to meet the ANSI specifications of a motorhome are registered using the make and VIN of the original manufacturer.

Yes, any vehicle that is built on a cutaway chassis is not a true Class B... Class B's are vehicles that come straight from the manufacturer and are modified on the inside and not expanded out the back or the sides.

Class C's have the back end cutaway and the remainder of the RV is completely constructed as a separate box and attached to the cutaway chassis.
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2020, 07:54 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Dogman635UT's Avatar
 
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Where I lay my head.
Posts: 1,456
Blog Entries: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by studmuffin1 View Post
WE have looked at/for Phoenix and Nexus. What other B+ units should we look at. We are down sizing and want a higher end B+. Help. The Muffin Man.
Reading your post cost seems to be what is holding you back. If Muffin man is a hint you may find the showers all wahy to samll. But for the money and shower. Its HARD for anyone in there right mind the beat the full over all quility of the Galleria by Coachmen. You are getting your monies worth. I dont care for two things in an RV Closet in the BATHROOM and LP GAS Stoves and both are not in the Galleria. Take away the Li3 power packages and the peice drops down 6000-or more. As for the Viper weight until you start adding in what you want away from the Basic model. GALLERIA by far, YES I'm still waiting.
__________________

Welcome to IRV2 FORUM, be safe have fun and enjoy the adventures in your RV. Pack out what you bring into a campsite.
Dogman635UT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:56 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWeiner View Post
That's what the state says it's registered as a Class C... and RVIA only has 3 classes of vehicles.... there is no classification in the RVIA for a Class B+.

Some claim this is a "real Class"....in Massachusetts... it's not... the term "auto house" or auto home or house car is a broad term to describe the function of the vehicle, it is not the class registration which is a completely separate issue.

Neither California or Massachusetts specify what class these vehicles are, they are broad categories in the vehicle code handbook.

In the California vehicle code there's this definition,

Housecar (CVC §362)—A motor vehicle originally designed for, or permanently altered, to be equipped for human habitation, or to which a camper has been permanently attached. A housecar is not a motortruck.

In Massachusetts, there's this definition,

Auto Home Plates
Auto Home:
A. Definition: Auto home, any motor vehicle originally designed or permanently
altered and equipped for human habitation which is not used to transport property
other than that property used for human habitation or camping purposes. A motor
vehicle designed primarily to transport property which has been temporarily altered
or equipped for human habitation shall not be deemed to be an auto home.
(M.G.L. ch. 90 s. 1)

Once the vehicle is registered they are assigned a particular Class based on standards..

There's a big difference between what the actual registration papers say from a few words printed on someone's license plates.

If someone can prove to me that their actual registration papers say it is a Class B+, I'll be happy to change my mind..

Let me reiterate..... there is absolutely nothing wrong with Class C's..... they are designed to carry and sleep more than 2 people.... it's not a Class B is better or worse situation...geez, people stop being so tribal about this...be happy with what you bought.... there's no point in trying to convince someone who has one vehicle or the other..... it's just a mind fudge....

As for Class B+ ( really Class C's). yes, this discussion is really more appropriate in the Class C forum in my opinion. So, when I see people getting all excited about making assertions and jumping all over this topic and are in the Class B forum and they really own a registered Class C....


Motorhome—A motor vehicle designed to provide temporary living quarters, built as an integral part of, or permanently attached to, a self-propelled motor vehicle chassis or van and includes a motorhome manufactured by a licensed motorhome manufacturer.


Van Camper—A van camper is a complete vehicle purchased from a recognized vehicle manufacturer and converted (usually by the installation of carpet, curtains, additional seating, etc.) for human habitation or camping purposes.

Van campers are registered using the original manufacturer’s make, VIN, and year model. However, completed van-type vehicles altered prior to original registration to meet the ANSI specifications of a motorhome are registered using the make and VIN of the original manufacturer.

Yes, any vehicle that is built on a cutaway chassis is not a true Class B... Class B's are vehicles that come straight from the manufacturer and are modified on the inside and not expanded out the back or the sides.

Class C's have the back end cutaway and the remainder of the RV is completely constructed as a separate box and attached to the cutaway chassis.
As I said I know it is a class C.
B+ is a marketing term and not a real class. I know that.
Search for class B+ and you find small no overhang class C.
Search for "small no overhang class C" and you won't find what you are looking for.

Similar argument: I have a hatchback Subaru that the state calls a station wagon.
Maybe we can get on all the car companies and tell them to stop calling their station wagons hatchbacks.

Semantics.
__________________
2015 Pleasure-Way Plateau XL Wide Body
paddykern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:30 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 615
Which model Subaru?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddykern View Post
As I said I know it is a class C.
B+ is a marketing term and not a real class. I know that.
Search for class B+ and you find small no overhang class C.
Search for "small no overhang class C" and you won't find what you are looking for.

Similar argument: I have a hatchback Subaru that the state calls a station wagon.
Maybe we can get on all the car companies and tell them to stop calling their station wagons hatchbacks.

Semantics.
What's the model name of your car?
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:48 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
trispeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: nashville
Posts: 15
Leisure Travel Vans are beautiful
__________________
2005 Airstream Land Yacht 26 ft P32
trispeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:54 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
trispeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: nashville
Posts: 15
Then 'super c' doesn't exist either? Who cares about classification at dmv? We all know what is meant by b+ and super c and it's a helpful distinction.
__________________
2005 Airstream Land Yacht 26 ft P32
trispeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:50 AM   #21
Member
 
cowboy70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 64
Why?

Why do some choose to ignore the OP's original question and feel compelled to go on a rant and write volumes about something off topic???

The OP asked for info on class B+ manufacturers, not your opinions on what the manufacturer chooses to call their own RV.

The horse is dead.
cowboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:53 AM   #22
Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 33
Pleasureway and Roadtrek
DWTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:23 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
2cyber71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 299
I just love the Leisure Travel Unity 24MB
When I’m done doing the Class A thing, I’m buying one of these.
Nothing comes close to it.
Perfect for 2 people.
I hope by then they they make a model that can dry camp for days with Lithium Batteries. Can’t be too hard, looks like it has the same appliances as a Travato.
A Lithium Unity 24MB would be a winner
__________________
2020 Winnebago Horizon 42Q
Maxum Chassis, 450 ISL
99 Storm 30H, 04 Southwind 32 VS, 07 Ellipse 40FD
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 06:36 AM   #24
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 6
Advanced RV is building a B+ now, calling it BBox
Rocky ARV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:05 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
I just love the Leisure Travel Unity 24MB
When I’m done doing the Class A thing, I’m buying one of these.
Nothing comes close to it.
Perfect for 2 people.
I hope by then they they make a model that can dry camp for days with Lithium Batteries. Can’t be too hard, looks like it has the same appliances as a Travato.
A Lithium Unity 24MB would be a winner
I went to the Pomona RV show last fall and stopped by the Leisure display. I talked to their tech rep and asked him why they didn't offer lithium batteries. He went on to give me a lame excuse about them not doing well in cold weather. I was going to say so you couldn't house the batteries inside the van or provide some sort of heating element like every other manufacturer does, but I just walked away in disbelief. I would have respected him more if he said we cater to an older crowd that hops from RV park to RV park with hookups and they don't need lithium batteries. Bottom line is I wouldn't expect leisure to add lithium any time soon and you'll have to put them in yourself.
Jlo11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 02:21 PM   #26
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 7
Check out Leisure Travel web site, they now offer a lithium battery option.
They must of listened to you at the Pomona RV show...lol
Ginton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:46 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginton View Post
Check out Leisure Travel web site, they now offer a lithium battery option.
They must of listened to you at the Pomona RV show...lol
Ha, ha, ha, you made me spit coffee out of my nose. Kinda hurt. Glad to see LTV begrudgingly move into the future.
Jlo11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life Gets Better and Better Saltydog44 Entegra Owner's Forum 1 12-15-2015 03:44 PM
Jake brake: Better, but how much better? Roamin Mike Class A Motorhome Discussions 17 11-28-2015 09:44 PM
Bryce Caynon report - better late than better. gazingm42 Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 11 07-07-2014 04:06 PM
What are the better brands of MH? Jcarlson Class A Motorhome Discussions 39 01-26-2013 06:12 PM
Which surge protector - comparing brands and amps. tnsharon07 Class A Motorhome Discussions 25 01-29-2009 12:05 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.