Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2019, 12:03 PM   #43

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb6days View Post
True, but they were not on our short list. I should have said 'of the ones on our short list'. Thanks for the clarification.

Also of the ones we looked at if you did order special and upgrade to a diesel generator, the fuel tank was much smaller than our gas tank (55 gal). We also learned that the horsepower of the diesel motors (5 cylinder) was less than the horsepower of the Ford V10. We were shocked. We were assuming that they would have the same power as the Ford F250 diesel we had while pulling a 5er. Learned a lot in our 6 month search. Still learning.

KGB
I agree with all of that -- we went through the same learning process in our downsizing, and ended up with Coach House, similar to your Phoenix Cruiser, for many of the same reasons. In our case, the biggest factor was towing capacity. We love our Grand Cherokee, and towing it behind a Sprinter-based B+ would have required very Spartan packing in the RV.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2019, 09:10 PM   #44

Best & Worst Class B Makes?

Quote:
We also learned that the horsepower of the diesel motors (5 cylinder) was less than the horsepower of the Ford V10.
KGB
Sprinters have not had 5 cylinders since 2007
knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:51 AM   #45

Quote:
We also learned that the horsepower of the diesel motors (5 cylinder) was less than the horsepower of the Ford V10. We were shocked. We were assuming that they would have the same power as the Ford F250 diesel we had while pulling a 5er. Learned a lot in our 6 month search.
Especially true for diesel engines, TORQUE is more important than horsepower. Low RPM torque is better than high RPM torque.

Ford 3.2L I5 Diesel - 185 hp @ 3,000 RPM, 350 lb-ft @ 1,500 RPM
Ford 3.5L Ecoboost V6 - 375 hp @ 5000 RPM, 470 lb-ft @ 2,500 RPM
Ford 6.8L V10 Gas - 362 HP @ 4,750 RPM, 457 lb-ft @ 3,250 RPM (NOT available in the Transit)

Last year Ford release a new 3.0L V6 diesel in the F150. It should show up in the Transit soon.

Ford 3.0L V6 Diesel - 250hp @ 3,250 RPM, 440 lb-ft @ 1,750 RPM

Also for the 2020 Explorer, Ford has announced a 3.0L version of the Ecoboost V6 with 365 hp and 380 lb-ft
Old 06-02-2019, 07:34 PM   #46

My phoenix 2552

You can check this out about every single Sprinter based B+ motorhome. The max they will carry is 1000 pounds. Most are far less. Subtract two humans of average overweight dimensions and you will be lucky to carry food. I checked out one which was really nice and carried less then 700 pounds.

My Phoenix Cruiser 2552 can carry 3400 pounds less two fat humans.

Now this is what you will not match.

My Phoenix Cruiser 2552 custom built by Phoenix Cruiser has a Splendide washer drier combo by my design. When we downsized from our 2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C my wife insisted she could not survive without a washing machine. It didn't matter that downsizing was her idea.

So I searched diligently and came up with what you see in the pictures. Any Sprinter chassis motorhome can not carry this simple washing machine addition. Plus the front seats are far more comfortable than the hard MB seats I tried out.

Cabinets on right are my changes
Click image for larger version

Name:	PHOENIX DOORS INSIDE  TO BACK.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	248294

These doors hide the washer

Name:	PHOENIX DOORS RIGHT SIDE UP.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	248295

You can't tell there is a washer hidden--Electric bed on left slides out.

Name:	PHOENIX INSIDE CENTER TO BACK.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	248296

Plumbing etc inside cabinet

Name:	PHOENIX INSIDE WASHER CABINET.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	248297

Phoenix Cruiser will do almost anything you want. They have a double slide 2552 with a relocated bathroom for sale as of last week.

If it were on a Sprinter chassis you couldn't drive the coach because you would be overloaded.

At 64 MPH I get approximately 14 MPG towing my 2016 Jeep Patriot. I use left over cell phone to monitor via bluetooth what the coach is doing through the OBD2 connector in the cab.

By the way, there isn't another B+ made with a washing machine. Most times there is not a place to install the washer. I have a 4 ft wide closet in the bathroom. I have hamper space next to the washer also hidden by a door. I gained two deep drawers in the bedroom and all the counters are Corian matching the kitchen.

I was talked out of the 4x4 option at the last minute because I was reminded "we're towing a Jeep anyway". Next time the 4x4 goes in and I will add slide out for the bed.

Just a sample of what you can do if you buy a Phoenix Cruiser.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:19 PM   #47

Really nice Sprinter based b+

While in my home in Sebring over the winter, I found out about a new Thor B+ motorhome The Siesta 24MB. Wife and I drove up to Ocala to take a look. Actually, I dragged her up there to keep me company on the long drive. Man, this thing was really NICE. It even had storage compartments with side swinging doors like my Bounder. It even had two closets side by side which upon measuring a washer could be squeezed in. Wow.

Take a look at the floorplan.

http://www.thormotorcoach.com/siesta...or-plans/24mb/

So now being an experienced Sprinter naysayer I asked the salesman how much can this coach carry. He said he wasn't sure, they always say that, and would have to check with the factory on his office phone. Meanwhile I looked for the yellow stickers which tell you the weight information.

Even I was shocked. Less than 700 pounds carry capacity less the two usually fatter than they care to be humans. "Engineers" think everyone weighs 150 pounds. Remember now this thing sleeps more than two people. I suppose they follow you in their car. Because 4 people would weigh, even by "engineers" figures, 600 pounds.

This is totally ridiculous. Who are these "engineers". This thing can't even have levelers. They have two "stabilizers", you know like some trailers.

MB is being used to enhance the purchaser's ego.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:44 AM   #48

Small Class C's

Hi,

I too wanted a small Class B and, like you, I found that they were outside my budget even when I was looking at 15 to 20 year old units with up to or over a hundred thousand miles.

A dealer I had previously talked to called me about a B+ or small C he had taken in. I almost didn't go to see it but am thrilled that I did. It is a Four Winds 19G, a 19 foot self contained motorcoach made by Thor. It's on a Ford E350 V8 chassis, is a 2012 and has only 23000 miles on it.

It is in near-perfect condition and the few things that were wrong with it have been or are being fixed by the dealer ... A broken door on the medicine cabinet in the fully-enclosed, private wet bath; a freezer door that wouldn't stay closed; a missing cap for the sewer hose and a 3rd door shelf for the refrigerator.

True, it is nowhere near as sleek and aerodynamic as a Class B. It is boxier but I love it! I have beautiful cherry cabinetry, a tile floor rather than aging carpet, a comfy little reading chair that swivels, a small dinette which will enable me to eat in comfort and provide a mobile office and, best of all, I have a real bathroom!

Unless you get up into larger and even more expensive class Bs, most of what you find has only a partial bathroom. Many units that I otherwise liked had a toilet in a closet with a shower curtain track that pulled out into the main aisle of the camper. If you wanted to shower you were standing in the middle of the camper blocking all traffic, with no privacy. You used the kitchen sink rather than having a bathroom sink. And because toilet wasn't really enclosed with a real door, as opposed to a folding door, you had no privacy there either.

My coach has a wet bath with a toilet, a shower pan and a small sink. There is a medicine cabinet over the sink and two faucets for washing your hands or doing laundry, Etc. There is also a flexible shower hose with a moveable shower head that can be placed in a holder if you want it stationary. The entire bathroom is fiberglass and there's a shower curtain that slides across the real door which is wood. It's very cute and very functional and private with a vent.

The unit drives and handles well. I have never driven an RV before and I typically drive a Fiat 500 so I was intimidated but it was easy and I feel very comfortable with it. I haven't yet tried parallel parking and I may not but I'm quite sure that I can find places to park it. The one disadvantage is that, because of its added height, it cannot be driven through a commercial car wash or a fast food drive-thru. I think I can live with that.

Good luck!
SaltyWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:47 PM   #49

The Tiffin Wayfarer is on a Sprinter chassis and gives you comfort and space yet it’s only 25’. But if I were buying a van I would go with Pleasureway most likely for quality. Tiffin customer service is Tops!
jrcorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:23 AM   #50

Boy, I agree about Phoenix Cruiser. They will build whatever you want if they can do it.

When I was looking into them before I settled on the Travato, I called them about removing the bathroom sink because it's just not needed in such a small coach. The kitchen sink is just fine. I like room to move around in the head and just hate being squeezed in that space on the shorter model I was looking into. The rep said, no problem.

They are also very nice coaches for long term ownership minded folks. They are not cutting edge like PW or LTV, but they are solid units...
Old 07-08-2019, 06:42 AM   #51

Midwest is also a custom coach builder - in fact they started building custom Sprinters long before the big companies did. Here's a link to an article I authored on the Midwest Lounge model Enjoy!

http://www.rotory.com/sprinter/midwest/

Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	midwest intro.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	466.6 KB
ID:	252548  
Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:19 AM   #52

We are on our 3rd class B. We started with a tent and motorcycle and moved up the line(?) with our last travel trailer. Over the years (decades) we have found plusses and minuses with the B's. Plusses include parking as in using a regular space, one can fit into almost any campsite, maneuverability..but the biggest reason is everything is always "with you" including sleeping and b'room. Tired, pull over and take a nap...Also we found that pulling a trailer with truck involved more frequent gas stops, and trying to find a gas station where a 54 foot total unit could could easily fill up on the east coast was frustrating and stressfull.
Drawbacks with a B are food, not only fridge size but having to tear down to grocery shopwhen weather or distance isn't condusive to bicycling. But we have found if you mark where your wheels were, you can get it close to level when returning. That' just a few thing that come to mind. I'm sure there are more, but I need a second cup of coffee now! Enjoy.
moonmanvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:59 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Class B

I recently sold my class C for a Pleasure Way Excel. They have excellent craftsmenship. Mine is a 2009 with 59,000 miles. Layout is well planned.
jston1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:19 PM   #54

Quote:
You can check this out about every single Sprinter based B+ motorhome. The max they will carry is 1000 pounds.
My Roadtrek Etrek on a Mercedes Sprinter chassis is rated to carry cargo and occupants totaling 2,500 lbs. It will tow 7000 lbs with 750 lbs tongue weight. Of course it is a B, not a B+.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class b