Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2014, 09:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Having been in some discussions that turned rancorous over the issue the one I use is that a B+ is a C without the front bunk over the cab. That costs storage but lets them streamline the front better.

I have a co pilot who is not good with giving directions. It has taught me to size up a situation and guide in on the drivers side. IF there is a question I get out and look. Maybe you want to develop that skill and maybe you want to stick with pull through sites. If you downsize you will still need the skill.

A 36 ft A is big enough to think about downsizing yet small enough to keep. Too many other variables. OTOH moving to a van body based B is space shock.

All I am trying to point out to you is that you need to look at the options and stop to think before you jump or you are likely to jump to something you will not like. All units have the backup problem to some level. OTOH how much room do you need to be comfortable and what will let you pull a towed. You will want the towed from what you are saying.
What nothermark says about the B+ vs C is the proper definition. A true class B is built on a van, where a B+ & C are built on a cutaway chassis, (cab only from the chassis manufacturer).

We recently went from a class C Navion IQ 25' to a class B Winnebago ERA van that's 24' long. Both would be good for what you want to do. We took/take both into downtown areas with not much issue. And both can tow up to 5000 lbs without issue.

Now the Travato being 19' long would be an ideal platform to run and not have to have a towed vehicle, and would fit the 2 of you as long as no one else went along for more than just a short trip.

Consider all the options before jumping in
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2014, 07:01 PM   #16

Some that would work for you that we are looking at are the Leisure Travel Free Spirit SS with a small slide, beautiful, has nice size tanks larger than other Bs, full large bathroom which Bs don't have. Great for short or long trips. Another we like is the Pleasureway Pursuit, large beautiful bath and a lot of storage, in a compact size, I think it's 22 ft B+, has large fridge, tanks, bath, outdoor storage. Do not need to tow anything in these. Very easy and comfortable to drive. We find our 25 ft Trail-Lite B plus which sadly they don't make anymore, good for traveling and parking most places. Never tow, never would want anything larger, but are looking at the above which are a foot or two shorter. We camp comfortably for weekends, day trips or longer extended trips. For us a B sadly is a little too small for camping any length of time, small fridge, bath too small, tanks a little small. We also like to camp in state parks, so these are perfect small enough to fit in tight camping spots, large enough to be able to dry camp for extended periods. We like something as small as possible for comfort and to drive comfortably. Had high hopes for Travato but the seats for us were very hard and uncomfortable. Not sure why Winnebago, who have extremely comfortable seats in any other unit we have sat in, would make those hard seats for the Travato.
cjscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjscotty View Post
Some that would work for you that we are looking at are the Leisure Travel Free Spirit SS with a small slide, beautiful, has nice size tanks larger than other Bs, full large bathroom which Bs don't have. Great for short or long trips. Another we like is the Pleasureway Pursuit, large beautiful bath and a lot of storage, in a compact size, I think it's 22 ft B+, has large fridge, tanks, bath, outdoor storage. Do not need to tow anything in these. Very easy and comfortable to drive. We find our 25 ft Trail-Lite B plus which sadly they don't make anymore, good for traveling and parking most places. Never tow, never would want anything larger, but are looking at the above which are a foot or two shorter. We camp comfortably for weekends, day trips or longer extended trips. For us a B sadly is a little too small for camping any length of time, small fridge, bath too small, tanks a little small. We also like to camp in state parks, so these are perfect small enough to fit in tight camping spots, large enough to be able to dry camp for extended periods. We like something as small as possible for comfort and to drive comfortably. Had high hopes for Travato but the seats for us were very hard and uncomfortable. Not sure why Winnebago, who have extremely comfortable seats in any other unit we have sat in, would make those hard seats for the Travato.
Unlike some manufacturers, Winnebago just uses the seats from Dodge/RAM on the Promaster based units. These seats have integrated airbags. That is why they are not recovered in leather. Unfortunately, these seats are engineered for commercial users, not retired RV'ers. I think they are fine for my use, but definitely not luxury seating.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:49 AM   #18

Thanks for the info. The Travato is a nice unit. The ones I mention above that I love are unfortunately expensive. I really wish they would make the Trail-Lite B+s again or other company copy. I believe Monaco bought them off and they stopped making the B+s. They were nice, comfortable and much more affordable! Ours is over 10 years old and we were thinking of upgrading but the prices are really over the top for most, except for the Travato and larger Trend (which has same seats which we were looking at also), both more decently priced compared to others. Maybe they will upgrade the seats, then that may be the one for us also.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:58 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
We had a friend that had several small dogs she traveled with and she had a Rialta and really liked it. The newer version is the Travato and looks nice and easy to store and drive.

Dick

2014 Winnebago Travato RV for sale in Tampa, FL.

Rialta Motorhomes - Consignment Sales - PPL Motor Homes
Old 07-13-2014, 04:44 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
We own a Chinook. They are starting to make them again (stopped in 2006). Ours is 21 feet long, V10 on the E350 chassis, and goes pretty much everywhere. The Glacier is a larger version with a slideout and the destiny is 2 feel longer than mine and on a GM chassis. All tow 5,000 lbs.

We are a family of 4 that use this rig if you can believe it. It has opened up a whole avenue of places to see that larger rigs have less options. Day trips are a breeze and we can park it in a handicapped parking spot (wife has medical issues).

What is nice on the chinook is that it is a true gel coat fiberglass shell rather than the luan wood with thin filon of most B+ and C rigs. Build quality of the Concourse for example is very good.

Our goal has always been to keep under 30 feet to keep many options open. We almost bought a rig with a walk around bed that was 29' long and I am sure we would have been happy, but also would be using it less often. (We used to own a class C)

Any choice you make has tradeoffs. That's what keeps it interesting.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:48 AM   #21

The Rialta and the higher end Chinook were really nice. Too bad they stopped making them. As far as towing with a Travato, the point of that small size is you don't need to tow. It is a nice size for 1 person with a dog. I like the ones I mentioned above but they are much more expensive. I think there is a large market for people who want similar to the Rialta, my Trail-Lite B+ and if you could afford, Chinook.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:38 AM   #22

FYI, the RAM Promaster chassis which the travato uses, will soon be shipping with diesel engines sometime around august/september. The longest version of the promaster is only 7 inches longer than an F150 crew cab with a 6'5" bed.

Also, shipping soon is the new Jeep Renegade, which is probably going to be the most capable small toad available. With great angles and 9" ground clearance, should have no problems getting to your favorite hiking spots. 2015 Jeep Renegade - Adventure is Coming. Get Ready.
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:35 AM   #23

Did you say they are making the Chinook's again? They really were beautiful, we used to see them in RV shows and around, expensive, but very nice. Weren't they 4 wheel drive also or am I mistaken?
Old 07-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes. The first prototype rolled off the line this spring from a facility on Oregon and was shared at a rally in March. The ETA for the production model is later this fall with added models such as the Concourse (my model) following.

http://chinookrvclub.com/newchinook.html

They did make a 4x4 version known as the Baja. My rig has the upgraded chassis / lift, but not the 4x4 option. (Not to say I couldn't have the conversion done if so desired; just don't need it. .
Old 07-15-2014, 03:42 PM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
Looked at Sprinters? Technically, they're small Class-C's, but have some real advantages if you're going to travel with them. They have showers and more than enough room for a dog.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:51 PM   #26
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdjeb View Post
I love the 36' and driving it on the open road was not an issue for me, however I'm not able to back it up or maneuver in tight spots without a co-pilot

Do you currently have side and rear facing cameras ? If not, simply adding these cameras will let you easily back and maneuver with ease alone ! Gives you every view you need right from the cockpit !

pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:38 PM   #27

It should be noted that the common 5,000 lb. towing spec. is a maximum capacity and you must still observe the GCWR (gross combined weight rating) and rear axle ratings. Very frequently a fully-loaded small RV will max out on these and de-rate the actual towing capacity to well below 5,000 lbs.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:41 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
It should be noted that the common 5,000 lb. towing spec. is a maximum capacity and you must still observe the GCWR (gross combined weight rating) and rear axle ratings. Very frequently a fully-loaded small RV will max out on these and de-rate the actual towing capacity to well below 5,000 lbs.
Thank you. That's a good point. The Itasca Navion I've been looking at has a GCWR of 15,250 lbs. (rear GAWR = 7,720 lbs.) They say it will tow up to 5,000 lbs. I'd be towing a 3,500 lb. Jeep. Is there somewhere I find out how much the Navion will weigh when fully loaded?

By the way, this discussion has been enlightening for me. I've learned a great deal and appreciate all of the input.
dbdjeb2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel