Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2021, 02:06 PM   #1

Best windshield cleaner and tools

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a tool and/or cleaner to remove bugs and dirt from large, hard to reach windshields? Water with squeegee scrubber doesn't quite get it. thanks in advance!
joergferchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2021, 02:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joergferchau View Post
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a tool and/or cleaner to remove bugs and dirt from large, hard to reach windshields? Water with squeegee scrubber doesn't quite get it. thanks in advance!

I use small electric power washer(1500psi) with some extension wands to wash van. I use some tool to clean the windshield. Save lots of time. Spray foam for soap. use auto washing mop on extension pole to lightly scrub. Follow with rinsing with DI water. Allow to air dry in sun. For spots missed(always some). Use a microfiber towel with some quick detailer to touch up. Sometimes will have to wipe the windows and mirror with glass cleaner and microfiber towel.
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 03:27 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I first spray with “bugs and all” and use the extension pole from Aero Cosmetics (wash and wax all) with their bug scrubbing pad. “Bugs and all” works so well if you can reach the area you can use a microfiber towel.
2Newsomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:49 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
First off, Welcome to IRV2! There's a great bunch of people here to help you out on your new adventures.

Look for the Mary Moppins system on Amazon. Their windshield kit consists of a scrubber pad, a drying pad and a pad holder. The holder will fit onto a standard painter's extension pole. Most of the time I just plain water and the scrubber but sometimes it takes a little soap with stubborn greasy bugs.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:57 PM   #5

Ladder, 0000 steel wool and a couple coats of rainx
outlawten5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:02 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawten5 View Post
Ladder, 0000 steel wool and a couple coats of rainx
+1
Old 08-08-2021, 07:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joergferchau View Post
Use this - https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sprayway-19...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

With this to clean then clean a second time with papaer towels - mine is normally clean as a Whistle.

https://www.amazon.com/Carrand-9500-...47234475&psc=1

The window cleaner in the can is streak free once the window is clean, Works for me.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:53 AM   #8

I find that cleaning the windshield using 0000 steel wool, then some type of protectant such as rain-X does very well. Remember, if the windshield is not clean to begin with, then you will be spinning your wheels trying to clean the windshield.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 09:21 AM   #9

For on the road cleaning, we use a folding step stool for reach and a razor blade for bugs and dried bird poop along with normal cleaning product. We've found that the step stool does double duty as a convenient stool for sitting when changing footwear, etc.

We've also recently discovered plastic razor blades. They are inexpensive and safe to use on the vehicle body as well as glass to remove stubborn glop. It's like using your fingernail, but on steroids.
rogerstg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Use this - https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sprayway-19...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

With this to clean then clean a second time with papaer towels - mine is normally clean as a Whistle.

https://www.amazon.com/Carrand-9500-...47234475&psc=1

The window cleaner in the can is streak free once the window is clean, Works for me.

Best of Luck,
Sprayway is exactly what I have been using for quite sometime. I started using it to spray the whole front of my bus when stopping overnight. Works perfectly on the Sprinter too!

I like to clean the whole front including the hood as I don't like a build-up of bugs as they will just keep on baking into the paint.

You let the Sprayway sit for a few minutes and the bugs start to soften for easy removal! After you clean them off, re-spray for a good clear clean! The trick is, the final spray needs to be cleaned off so that the windshield is dry to have NO streaks.

Good luck and safe travels!
Mark
Mr.Mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:37 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
WashWaxAll. A bit expensive, but works really well. My wife laughed at me when I bought the $100 kit with quick extend pole, two heads- one small with a scrubber and mop, and a larger dual mop head and extra washable mops. She didn’t laugh long because it totally surprised her how well it works. Now when we see their booth at RV shows, she gushes how well it works to anyone near the booth. We have no affiliation with them, and the concentrate is expensive, but to us it’s worth it. I pump the fuel while she does a quick windshield touch up.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:45 AM   #12

Just a hint for removing bugs. If you get out while the dew is still on the windshield in the morning the bugs have been softening all night and they are easier to get off. It doesn't work when you're traveling but I've used this method for a while on my motorcycle. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tools, wind, windshield