Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2021, 10:27 AM   #1

Camper van radio dilemma

Hi I'm new here, thanks for letting me join. I have an older camper van I've remodeled substantially. I have 200-watt solar power for the usual lights pumps etc. However, I've also installed a new in-dash stereo which I would like to know how I could also hook it up to the solar power so when I'm camped in one spot I can listen to music without draining the van battery. I've searched the internet on how that can be done but can't seem to find anything specific to the topic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
OldBess is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2021, 12:39 PM   #2

What kind of "older camper van" is it? Year/make/model and any other specifics will get you better (more helpful) responses than this one.
Consider adding that info to your signature, so it will always be viewable.
Old 10-18-2021, 01:01 PM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
What would be best is to wire the power to the radio to the same battery(s) that the solar panels are charging. ~CA

BTW, Welcome to the IRV2 forums website.
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:01 AM   #4

Hooking up directly to solar batteries

As suggested, to hook up directly to the solar batteries, removing it completely from the van battery... it would no longer shut off when the key is turned off if I'm correct? Just trying to understand... I have minimal wiring experience and mostly rely on YouTube for my projects!
Old 10-19-2021, 07:23 AM   #5

Yes, that's how it works, depending on how the solar charging system(s) and coach battery bank(s) are set up.
This is all just guess work, having no information on your year/make/model of "older camper van", and any electrical mods that may have already been added to it. If there are any 12VDC hot outlets (I had several in my 2002 Roadtrek) that are wired to the coach battery system, they would work as a solar supported power source for your radio, as well. Assuming the solar charging hardware charges the coach batteries, as would be the more typical setup. No ignition "on" required.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Yes, that's how it works, depending on how the solar charging system(s) and coach battery bank(s) are set up.
This is all just guess work, having no information on your year/make/model of "older camper van", and any electrical mods that may have already been added to it. If there are any 12VDC hot outlets (I had several in my 2002 Roadtrek) that are wired to the coach battery system, they would work as a solar supported power source for your radio, as well. Assuming the solar charging hardware charges the coach batteries, as would be the more typical setup. No ignition "on" required.
All the information is in my signature as you suggested!
1995 Dodge B3500 Ram Conversion Van
175 Watts Renogy w/Renogy Adventurer 30 amp Contr.
2 X 12 volts batteries (Parallel hook up)
Old 10-19-2021, 02:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBess View Post
All the information is in my signature as you suggested!
1995 Dodge B3500 Ram Conversion Van
175 Watts Renogy w/Renogy Adventurer 30 amp Contr.
2 X 12 volts batteries (Parallel hook up)
Ah, yes, now I see. Nice rig, good little system.
In that case, my prior post applies to your classic B3500 Ram Conversion Van. Find a way to attach the radio's DC "power in" to the coach batteries, and you're good to go.
It's a good little system (Renogy) to keep things running overnight. The problem with battery banks is not how long they will last powering your "stuff", it's how long it takes to replenish it the next day, either by solar, generator (if installed), alternator/converter/charger.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:38 PM   #8

There are likely two 12v requirements fo your new radio. One for memory and one for main power. You can wire in a DPST switch to switch power sources between the chassis and house batteries
Glennabbott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 06:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennabbott1 View Post
There are likely two 12v requirements fo your new radio. One for memory and one for main power. You can wire in a DPST switch to switch power sources between the chassis and house batteries
Ok so in this scenario would I wire the main power to the solar batteries but leave the memory on the chassis and install the switch where? Can you expand on the details? Sorry I'm just learning...Thank you.
Old 10-20-2021, 03:55 PM   #10

I will draw out a schematic later and post here. Stay tuned.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennabbott1 View Post
I will draw out a schematic later and post here. Stay tuned.
Thank you thank you! Very much appreciated!
Old 10-20-2021, 07:19 PM   #12

Schematic

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211020_200603.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	346685
Old 10-21-2021, 04:09 PM   #13

For the uninitiated, that's a double pole single throw switch. I didn't draw the "wiper" because I figured it was self explanatory.

Have a nice day, ya'll!!!!!

Tags
camper, radio