Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2014, 12:14 PM   #1

Thumbs down CB antenna

We have been unsuccessful in finding a suitable cb antenna and mount for our Roadtrek 210 versatile. Best Buys placed a window mount on one of the three small windows in front of the vehicle. It does not pick up nearby signals except for a brief "blip". We finally pulled into a cb antenna shop near Jacksonville and after taking one look at our Roadtrek, he shook his head and said, "Too much fiberglass." The small antenna we purchased was one that did not require a ground. (I think) Any suggestions?
Silverschuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2014, 01:18 PM   #2

I'll be installing my Cobra 25lx here in a couple of weeks and also need to find a place and antenna for the coach. I had the same problem with my old CJ7 with fiberglass body and bought a firestik no ground plane that worked like a champ. Didn't even have to adjust it.

I have been looking at this one: Firestik NGP Roof Mount CB Antenna Kit | Right Channel Radios but I don't want to have to drill through the roof. They also have a side mounted one, but you also have to drill. Not sure what I'll end up with.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverschuck View Post
Any suggestions?
On the hood in Unicorn fashion works well for me.

Run the wire between the windshield and the hood, then around the corner and through the drivers door jamb.

Tim

Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:35 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Another vote Firestix. But since you have a metal body, I would not use the NGP. Drilling a hole and properly mounting an antenna is no big deal. Just make sure it is properly sealed.

If you have to mount in the fiberglass, use the NGP.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use a NGP (no ground plane) From Radio Shack.. Some day I may move it to the OUTSIDE of the motor home (Actually that is fairly close to the top of my to-do list just now).

Some considerations.. And by the way a short video (Which is part of a longer video) I will link to the longer one shortly.

The longer the whip, the better the antenna.. With all that fiberglass a NGP design will work where as a common radio you will have to figure out how to provide a counterpoise.. The famous 102" Whip is 1/2 of an antenna.. The vehicle is the other half.. NOTE that the frame rails.. They might qualify if you stick the whip in a wall somewhere. (I do not recommend) or perhaps UNDER the rear cap between the real rear wall and the false cap. (That might work depending on what is around it)

Now the video: Look Look for the Febuary sixth episode of HAM NATION at Ham Nation | TWiT.TV The title says something about DX Engineering acquires {some} antenna (i forgot the antenna)

About 3/4 the way through the show (Download it) there is a video about short mobile HF antennas.. CB is HF (the high end of the HF band) so much of what they say applies.

Those through the glass Antennas.. I do not like 'em for VHF, might be OK at UHF, but at HF (CB) not on your life.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:32 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought a Firestix, 4' aprox...took it to the shop and they would not mount it, did not want to drill thru. That's why I took it to them, they are the professionals???
FMCA F438950
AUPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:30 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Right now I have an NGP that is stuck between the Couch and the wall 1:1 SWR in the middle of the band I'm kind of happy.

I plan on an upgrade though

I will get a mirror mount,, This mount consists of an "L" bracket and a backign plate, both have a "V" shaped piece that bolts together on the mirror arm,, only I do not have that kind of mirror arm.

I will use only the L, and 4 stainless lags, Find a spot drill likely into the "A" pillar, bring the coax in via the hole and seal it well (Dicor lap sealant) then put the L over the hole and seal the top part of the V, everything caulked or masticed. And that will hold the NO GROUND PLANE antenna. Should work Get it up a bit higher and look very good.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:13 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
"They" (not sure of a manufacturer off the top of my head) make bumper mounts for antennas usually for the rear bumper. No drilling to the body. Then you would run the cable under your vehicle to the front. Also most truckstops sell various mounting brackets for antennas. You might try another cb shop as some of them are more likely to want to install an antenna than others.
borderboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:06 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
By the way ... I will make a comment on those through the glass antennas like Best Buy installed.

Perhaps at UHF I'd trust 'em to work (440-450 MHZ, license required)

At VHF, I'd rate them iffy (Some VHF frequencies do NOT need a license, most do)

At CB (HF) Forget it. But then you found that out.

Tags
antenna