Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2022, 08:51 PM   #1

Class "B" driveability

We want to downsize for age and health reasons from our 36 diesel coach. We have looked C coaches and driven them but no B coaches in our area to drive.

How would you compare a B to a C for easy of drive, ride quality. Look like you get more for your money with a C

Thanks Konnie
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2022, 06:10 AM   #2

Konnie
Good morning.
We just did what you are thinking about doing.
We have a 40' fifth wheel which we now leave on our snowbird site in central FL.
We went to a large truck camper, but the DW was not comfortable driving that anymore. She really never was comfortable.'
Like you, age and health have played a part in our decision to go to a class B. Brenda does all the driving because of my vision loss.
We have had our 2015 Roadtrek Popular 210 on a Chevy 3500 Express van chassis. We love it. Wished we would have gone to the class B instead of the truck camper.
Brenda love driving the Roadtrek. So much easier than anything else she has driven. Yes, she pulled the 40' fifth wheel all over the place, even Atlanta on a Friday at 4:00PM, rush hour traffic, she is a real road warrior.
It rides really good. Has all the room we need. Can park it any where. Easy to handle in traffic. We will take our first trip next week, about 1000 miles.
WE had a class C a few years ago. We like the Class B more.
The C was 32' long with a full wall slide out, the Roadtrek is 22' long.
Good luck.
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 08:50 AM   #3

We went from a 40' "class A" to the "class B". One of the best decisions we have made. We use the "class B" all the time. We purchased the "class A" new in 2012 and kept about 10 years and it had less than 30000 miles when we sold it. We have had the "class B" 5 months and it already has 14000 miles on it. If you are comfortable driving a SUV the class B is very similar. Ours is on a pro-master chassis that we have been happy with it so far. My wife says it turns better than the Honda Civic. I also drove a semi-truck for a short time so was not afraid to drive the class A but it was simply much more trouble. The cost of fuel and other expenses not even close which is an added benefit. I personally believe the "class B" will be the easiest to drive if you can live with the lack of space which for us has not been a problem. We full-timed for about six months in the "class A" and was perfect for that but otherwise would never do go back to one of those again. We also had a 5th wheel before purchasing the class A which was similar for us in terms of the amount of use.
robertj1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 09:10 AM   #4

We had a 28' travel trailer and towed it with a RAM 1500. It was great, but we got sick and tired of dealing with hitching / unhitching, all the room needed to operate the rig, and how tired we got from hauling it around, despite the fact that the trailer towed like a dream 99% of the time.

Now we have a Class B camper van, an Airstream Interstate, which is built inside an extended Sprinter 3500. It's light years easier to drive, to park, and to generally navigate around. We don't tow anything, and we only have a bike rack on the back of the van, so we're making do with the storage in the van, and we drive it everywhere. Switching to a Class B will also change how you camp, because if you go anywhere while camping, you take your rig with you. As a result, we don't do a lot when we "set up camp." We pull into our spot, set the brake, sometimes plug in shore power, and we're done with setup. If we are going to camp in the same site several days, we will sometimes set up a screen tent and put out a couple of chairs. We like the Clam Venture screen tent, as it just fits across in back of the van behind the rear couch / bed.

So, yeah, less storage, way less storage, but we have found it's worth it. We cut way down on the stuff we bring, such that for most things if we don't know for sure we're going to use it we leave it behind. Oh, and when we hit the road, we stay out for roughly three months, camping in our van the whole time, and we still like it.
Rocinante440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 06:07 AM   #5

We absolutely love the Trevato K we bought a few months ago.
We’ve had a c class up to a luxury class Newmar diesel pusher.
Nothing is easier to travel in then this Trevato. It’s a mini Motorhome with everything a Motorhome needs to have.
Newaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 08:48 PM   #6

Nancy and I just got a 2023 travaro 59 k and plan on jheading to our house in Yuma for the winter getting old time to down size. Jim
james1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 05:19 AM   #7

Parkability

Plus you can park between the lines in any parking lot. If you have an extended B you can just back in and hang the rear over the curb.
magicbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 08:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
Plus you can park between the lines in any parking lot. If you have an extended B you can just back in and hang the rear over the curb.
Agree totally on finding spaces is easy and can park anywhere. One word of caution on backing and hanging the rear over the curb however is the back can be pretty "low" if the curb is somewhat "high". Please don't ask how I know that.... No damage however but it is possible to strike the curb from underneath the van.
robertj1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 09:11 AM   #9

We own a 2020 Coachmen Galleria that's 24' long, 7' wide and 9'9" tall. We looked inside some class C's and the extra room was appealing, but that was the only plus.

I can drive through any street with the Galleria, that I could drive our Nissan Maxima through. Some streets have been so narrow that we remarked a class C wouldn't have made it.

Finding a parking spot is much less challenging with a B.

We typically average 20 mpg when traveling on an interstate. I drive in the right hand lane with the cruise control set at 65 mph.
dmb496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 02:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1979 View Post
Agree totally on finding spaces is easy and can park anywhere. One word of caution on backing and hanging the rear over the curb however is the back can be pretty "low" if the curb is somewhat "high". Please don't ask how I know that.... No damage however but it is possible to strike the curb from underneath the van.
We also have to be careful when backing up our Airstream Interstate extended lounge over a curb. The propane fill location is low and behind the passenger side rear wheel and the generator, which is also behind the axle, doesn't have as much clearance as I would like. So yeah, back over that curb, but go slowly and have someone watching for clearance issues.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:29 PM   #11

Coachmen Beyond here, and so far so good. We have a full size truck too, so we have a little practice with larger vehicles. The Beyond is about 2 feet longer. We have been on a couple trips where parking was involved, and we have not had a problem finding a spot. We typically back in, and so far have not trashed the generator. Ride quality is OK, but rougher than our truck or SUV. The main thing I have to remember is that taking corners is radically different than our SUV (or my Vette!)
JonMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMN View Post
Coachmen Beyond here, and so far so good. We have a full size truck too, so we have a little practice with larger vehicles. The Beyond is about 2 feet longer. We have been on a couple trips where parking was involved, and we have not had a problem finding a spot. We typically back in, and so far have not trashed the generator. Ride quality is OK, but rougher than our truck or SUV. The main thing I have to remember is that taking corners is radically different than our SUV (or my Vette!)
I have to agree with the handling point you're making here. While we love camping in our Class B van, it does suffer on the road in windy conditions and it wallows a bit around corners, and especially when leaving gas stations, etc. where curbing is involved. With that in mind, and with an eye to significantly improving the experience, we're taking our van to Agile Offroad in February for a RIP Kit suspension upgrade. Not cheap, but certainly cheaper than buying a new van and hoping it will handle better when everything we've read says that won't happen.

We'll be getting the Sprinter 3500 2WD Kit installed. https://agileoffroad.com/sprinter-rip-kits/
Old 12-02-2022, 08:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante440 View Post
I have to agree with the handling point you're making here. While we love camping in our Class B van, it does suffer on the road in windy conditions and it wallows a bit around corners, and especially when leaving gas stations, etc. where curbing is involved. With that in mind, and with an eye to significantly improving the experience, we're taking our van to Agile Offroad in February for a RIP Kit suspension upgrade. Not cheap, but certainly cheaper than buying a new van and hoping it will handle better when everything we've read says that won't happen.

We'll be getting the Sprinter 3500 2WD Kit installed. https://agileoffroad.com/sprinter-rip-kits/

After the Agile RIP Kit has been installed you'll be more than pleased.

We bought our 2020 Coachmen Galleria new. From day 1 the handling was a surprise and concerned me. Side wind buffeting could be startling. Being passed on the interstate by a large SUV would cause our vehicle to react, and when a semi passed us, hold on. Exiting an interstate onto an off-ramp had to be done at less than the posted ramp speed to avoid a feeling of pending roll-over. Our vehicle came from Coachmen with Sumo Springs already installed. The name is misleading as they are just polyurethane bump stops that replace the factory rubber bump stops.

In April 2022 I installed the Agile RIP kit. The Galleria drives like a totally different coach. I test drove it after installing the front suspension pieces, but before the rear pieces were installed. The handling improvement at that point was great. When I finished installing the entire kit, it's hands down the best money we've spent on the coach.

The rear of our Galleria now sits 2" higher, the front is 1/2" higher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060816.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	327.6 KB
ID:	381942  
dmb496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 08:50 AM   #14

We went through the same thought process. Full timed in 45’ DP and as we slowed down to part timing it made sense to downsize. Looked at small 24’ B’s but at 70% higher cost we believed the C was a better choice for us. We always tow a Jeep so the B’s tow capacity was an issue. Both types of rigs will work great you need to figure out how much you will use rig and if you need more or less size. This past year we used our rig for 5 months away from home. Not sure I would have liked the smaller size for two people that the B’s have. Good luck with your choice.

Enjoy the journey