RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-08-2020, 01:52 PM   #1

iRV2 No Limits Club
Class B vs Class B+PLUS?

This comes up time and time again in many campfire conversations. When talking with most people we all well know what is a Class A, Class B, and Class C motor home is. Now the confusion always comes up when someone brings up as Class B+. When this happens I just smile get up and leave the fireside chat with others to deliberate over RV construction and confusion with one each other. Looking around I don't see Class A-PLUS for anything over a normal 38-foot and I have never seen any class A under 30-foot called a Class C-Plus.

To myself, a true Class B is the VAN that stays within its normal size and structure of a VAN, YES, it can have a slider(s). But when you blow out the walls or rooftop, it is clear to me, a Class C Motor home and NOT a Class B+PLUS.

Can anyone fix my thinking as to why anyone would NOT want to call them what they are, a Class C?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2020, 02:40 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Obviously someone-manufactures rep,sales pro,marketing pro-decided to differiate their product from others and without a "by your leave" created the creature "B+" It's really simple but now sit back and lets go
Just thinking maybe the question should be who invented the term

n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 03:15 PM   #3

The so called "B+" is a mythical creature, like the unicorn, born in the minds of some unscrupulous sales person's desire to try to sell something to unsuspecting buyers, that is definitely a Class C, without calling it that, because there's obviously some sort of stigma associated with the term "Class C" motorhome.
If a buyer walks into a showroom, and sees some actual Class B van conversions, but after looking them over inside and out, doesn't like the smaller size, the lack of a dry bath, no slides, a clever salesman will try to up sell them to something they call a B+. It's just a small C with/without the cab over.
It's all about psychology and sales. Give the customer what they want, even if you have to make stuff up.

Some manufacturers have also decided they exist, as well. I wouldn't deal with them, simply on that basis.

According to the RVIA there are 3 classes/types (they were recently renamed to Type A, B, C by the RVIA, which is THE governing body)

Class (Type) A motorhome built on a bus chassis.
Class (Type) B motorhome is a van conversion.
Class (Type) C motorhome built on a van cab chassis, and/or light/medium/heavy truck chassis. It's a catch all in between the other 2 classes.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 01:33 PM   #4

This is a really good question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman635UT View Post
This comes up time and time again in many campfire conversations. When talking with most people we all well know what is a Class A, Class B, and Class C motor home is. Now the confusion always comes up when someone brings up as Class B+. When this happens I just smile get up and leave the fireside chat with others to deliberate over RV construction and confusion with one each other. Looking around I don't see Class A-PLUS for anything over a normal 38-foot and I have never seen any class A under 30-foot called a Class C-Plus.

To myself, a true Class B is the VAN that stays within its normal size and structure of a VAN, YES, it can have a slider(s). But when you blow out the walls or rooftop, it is clear to me, a Class C Motor home and NOT a Class B+PLUS.

Can anyone fix my thinking as to why anyone would NOT want to call them what they are, a Class C?
I've seen some really nice Class C's, there's nothing wrong with a Class C RV, so, I don't know WHY people wouldn't want to call it what it is.

I will say that there seems to be a "wide variety" of interior build quality of Class C's. Some of these "super C's rival the build quality of the really big Class A rigs.

Recently, they've been building some really "inexpensive" Class B's ( van conversions), , but, this has mostly only gone on in the last 5 years.

Older Class B's, many of them on the Sprinter platform, are so luxuriously appointed they look like a shrunken Class A, and on a price per square foot are more expensive than they look.

Most "families" prefer a Class C because they need a cab over sleeping space for small kids.

Class B's are really designed for two adults, very limited space.
MWeiner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 01:43 PM   #5

I call mine a Class C- Minus the bunk.
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:08 PM   #6

Nice rig, what's your MPG, that V10 engine is thirsty, I think....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbenny View Post
I call mine a Class C- Minus the bunk.
Engine Type
V10
Displacement (l)
Horsepower
Fuel Type
Gas
Fuel Capacity (gal / L)
55 / 208.2
Engine Brand
Tritonģ
Chassis Brand
Ford

Tell us, what's your fuel costs?

Here's the bottom line, if you have kids or really need this extra space, it's great, otherwise, it's a lot of extra fuel to burn, just me.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWeiner View Post
Engine Type
V10
Displacement (l)
Horsepower
Fuel Type
Gas
Fuel Capacity (gal / L)
55 / 208.2
Engine Brand
Tritonģ
Chassis Brand
Ford

Tell us, what's your fuel costs?

Here's the bottom line, if you have kids or really need this extra space, it's great, otherwise, it's a lot of extra fuel to burn, just me.
Last year we took a 4K trip I averaged 11 MPG. As high as 13 low at 7.5. I really donít get caught up on fuel cost or MPG just like to travel.
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:37 AM   #8

Searching for a very small class C with no over cab bed and designed for only two people.

I searched for class B+ and found the narrow segment of class C I was looking for.

Don't care if here is no official designation of a class B+.

Yes technically I have a class C but describing it as a B+ tells others that it is much smaller than a traditional class C.

Our class C/B+/C- is shorter than some class B's.
It is made for only two or less people.
Larger than a class B but much smaller than a regular class C.
Drives more like a class B than a class C.
So small that we have never considered the need for a toad.
Fuel consumption slightly more than a class B.
Slightly wider than a class B.
Much taller than a class B.

Don't care what you call it but I did find what I wanted.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:48 PM   #9

Beautiful RV...but, it's a Class C

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddykern View Post
Searching for a very small class C with no over cab bed and designed for only two people.

I searched for class B+ and found the narrow segment of class C I was looking for.

Don't care if here is no official designation of a class B+.

Yes technically I have a class C but describing it as a B+ tells others that it is much smaller than a traditional class C.

Our class C/B+/C- is shorter than some class B's.
It is made for only two or less people.
Larger than a class B but much smaller than a regular class C.
Drives more like a class B than a class C.
So small that we have never considered the need for a toad.
Fuel consumption slightly more than a class B.
Slightly wider than a class B.
Much taller than a class B.

Don't care what you call it but I did find what I wanted.
These vehicles get registered as a Class C... which is fine.
Again, there's absolutely nothing wrong with this, it's a choice.
We almost purchased a unit this size.

The problem is that a lot of people don't advertise this correctly.....see this.

https://www.roamingtimes.com/2015/11...s-b-motorhome/

When you go to register the vehicle you will find out.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:36 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Winterbagoal nailed it with the three classes (and definitions)- simple Mweiner is right the RMV will call a B+ a C - simple. Paddykern seached for a B+ and found what they were looking for in a MH I think if a company describes the product as a B+(as opposed to a C) its meant more a description than as a separate class. There are companies that call all their Class C's B+s and they range in size from 22' to 32'. Forest River is offering an option on their class Cs of a "Trekker" front(no overhang). Its a description not a new class. On the question of MPG we went in knowing the MH would get 7+ mpg. We tow a Jeep Cherokee which gets 25+ mpg,allows us to go anywhere without having to decamp, and puts on more mileage sightseeing than the MH. Dont get me wrong I fully appreciate a class B. We have a Ford Transit cargo/van that we use for day excursions,overnighters and as a second vehicle. It carries our bikes inside,has restroom/changing room/cleanup facilities for our daily rides and it gets 23mpg avg
Old 04-13-2020, 06:22 AM   #11

If you start out with a cargo van and do all you care to do to it, and still end up with a van, it’s a B. If you start with a chassis and cab and build every thing else it’s a C. If you start out with a chassis and build everything else it’s an A.

An example of the confusion is the Winnebago Rialta. It started with just the cab, engine, transmission, and two wheels. Same front end as their Euro van but without the van part. Everything from the back of the seats was not there. Winnebago built everything. They classified it a C.

Many dealers or web sites incorrectly called it a B, and it looks like a B+. A B+ Would be better called a C- but that sounds like something is missing and would be a marketing loser.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 08:00 AM   #12

I used to call my under 20’ class C a C-, now that I know a B+ is really a C-, I think I’ll start a new class, the class Cmini hmmmmm, though come to think of it, maybe those class C’s built on the Datsun and Toyota cutaway chassis call them selves a class Cmini.....how about the class Cmini+

I don’t care about mileage, I care that it is gas, fits in a city parking space, has a propane fridge that will run for a long time on propane, and will tow 8000# when needed.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:11 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
If you start out with a cargo van and do all you care to do to it, and still end up with a van, itís a B. If you start with a chassis and cab and build every thing else itís a C. If you start out with a chassis and build everything else itís an A.

An example of the confusion is the Winnebago Rialta. It started with just the cab, engine, transmission, and two wheels. Same front end as their Euro van but without the van part. Everything from the back of the seats was not there. Winnebago built everything. They classified it a C.

Many dealers or web sites incorrectly called it a B, and it looks like a B+. A B+ Would be better called a C- but that sounds like something is missing and would be a marketing loser.

So very true,but isnt confusion all part of marketing. Adding a somewhat larger body without the distinctive Class C bunk gave it the perception of being different -more than a B and less than a C. And your right who would buy a C-
Old 04-13-2020, 10:03 AM   #14

YES, Winnebago Rialta was a small Class C

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
If you start out with a cargo van and do all you care to do to it, and still end up with a van, itís a B. If you start with a chassis and cab and build every thing else itís a C. If you start out with a chassis and build everything else itís an A.

TRUE, the Rialta was built on the VW chassis by Winnebago. Heard conflicting information about why they stopped making this....was it Winnebago who wanted to pull the plug or VW.....

Anyone know?? The vehicle was pretty popular and I still see them on the road, plus they command high prices still for such an old vehicle.

Tags
class a, class b, class b+, class c, motor home