Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2017, 08:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny K View Post
LVRVLVUR: You recommend a small class C instead of a class B. Can you recommend any specific models (keeping in mind my aversion to slide-outs etc.)?

How about a Winnebago VIA (or similar Itasca REYO), Thor Axis, or Forest River FR3? All are very small class A (25') but more room than a Class B.

Click image for larger version

Name:	588eb85f055cfe38455db218.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	153844

Name:	589da98e6d778938ce3f2d57.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	153845

Name:	5862990f94e0a14a062121cf.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	153846

Thor Axis and Forest River FR3 are on a Ford chassis Gas V10, but the Winnebago VIA/Itasca REYO are built on MB Sprinter chassis.

I think they all have slides, but you get so much more room. Initially, I was opposed to slides, but *almost all* RVs have them now.

Funny thing is one of the reasons we ended up with the ERA 70C was because of the extra room from the slide out...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2017, 11:22 AM   #16

Name:	245.JPG
Views:	598
Size:	782.0 KB
ID:	154160
After traveling 70,000 miles and all 49 states since 2012 I will say the absolute best feature of our Pleasure Way Excel TS is it's length at 20"-4". I can park in a regular parking space. Traveling, sightseeing, stopping at stores and restaurants is a breeze because I don't need special parking. I didn't really know that when I bought it but now realize what a relief it is to not worry about where to park. So since parking isn't a issue we stop and get to do basically everything. We bought ours used and don't regret that as it was very well taken care of and stored under a roof. We saved a lot of money over buying new.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:39 PM   #17

We have a Pleasure Way Plateau XL. It has a class A style bath, full kitchen, no slides and is 6'8" inside. I'm 6'4" and do not feel claustrophobic. The Mercedes diesel has plenty of power and gets 14-18 mpg.
AZ520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:29 AM   #18

Is that the one with the Murphy bed? Nice! I was looking at one last weekend, and the Plateau XL is on my short list.
Granny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ520 View Post
We have a Pleasure Way Plateau XL. It has a class A style bath, full kitchen, no slides and is 6'8" inside. I'm 6'4" and do not feel claustrophobic. The Mercedes diesel has plenty of power and gets 14-18 mpg.
We just got the same model last fall and went on an 8,000 mile trip.
We looked at a bunch of B and one B+ and I told the wife not to focus on the bathroom of the Plateau XL. Well she focused on the bathroom and now have the Plateau XL.

No slides and few windows but it seems so large and airy inside.
I think the light colored wood and vinyl with the addition of two skylights gives it a larger than it actually is feeling.

Solid mid 16mpg. Went through the Rockies with no problems.

It was perfect for us.

AZ520, No trouble with the Murphy bed at 6'4"?
paddykern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:12 AM   #20

Paddykern, the bathroom was what sealed the deal for my wife also. While I wouldn't mind a larger bed, the queen works fine. We put a 2" topper on the mattress and it's almost as comfortable as home.
AZ520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:15 AM   #21

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have one more question. There is a kijiji ad this morning for a 2015 Pleasure-Way Excel. But according to the brochures I have downloaded, Pleasure-Way stopped making the Excel in 2013.

Am I misled or is the ad a scam?
Old 04-18-2017, 06:38 AM   #22

Where Class B’s shine is in the small size for maneuverability, parking, daily use and drivability, etc. They key to really enjoying them is to use them in that capacity. As a travel vehicle you can live out of, and not a moving home you can live in. If you are on the move (daily, every other day, etc) the B’s come into their own. As well as for a home base during day use activities at the beach, enjoying your hobbies, festivals, events, etc.

I love mine, use it at least once every week, and also live out of it for extended periods solo or with my wife. But I wouldn’t want to spend much time in it with another person and multiple dogs. I think that would be very cramped. I also would have gone larger if I expected to stay at most locations for a week or more at a time.

Everybody is different. Some people love to backpack and tent and keep moving, others wouldn’t leave the house without a 35” flat screen, sofa, and a residential fridge.

As another posted said, spend enough time in a B with the expected number of people and dogs, and visualize where you would store everything you want to bring, where would you put the dog food/water bowls, etc. But you don't have to visualize driving conveniences, mpg, parking, etc, no issues there.

Do the same with something larger, but also visualize driving in the city (if thats part of your expected destinations), parking considerations, when you have to make a run to the store, etc. You don’t have to visualize storage, where you'll put everything, you’ll have plenty

The tortoise and the hare
Do you travel or do you camp?
There are lots of compromises in a Class B, but are also offset by many advantages.
reflex439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:44 PM   #23

Am senior female and want to buy a Pleasure Way TS with twin beds. I have no idea on how to figure out what to pay. Everything is so expensive. Do people on this forum share what they paid?
Orson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:43 AM   #24

$107,000 for a new 2015 Pleasure-Way Plateau XL.
This is classified as a class C (I like to call it a B+) so is wider but not much longer than most Class B's
It was new but sat on the dealer lot for over a year.
The MSRP was $137,000.
paddykern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:48 AM   #25

You should get at least 20% off msrp. If you get 25% you did good. 35% you did great.
ctarmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:01 PM   #26

I had a nice Class B and saw the Northern states in it over a couple months. Convenience was great of course, but I quickly found that I cannot live without a regular size fridge. Even being single, I don't want to eat out all the time. I found it fun to live in the cramped area for a short time even with my white lab. But to full time or even for a full summer trip, nothing like a real fridge w/ decent kitchen area, as well as a real bed you don't have to make up all the time. I prefer a single bed myself, but it has to be a proper mattress whether foam or springs. I found now that I am near elderly, my top priorities are a good night's sleep and a good BM when I awaken. After that, and my usual breakfast of 1 scrambled egg/1 strip of bacon/half a piece of toast, I am good to go exploring for the day (along w/ my Molly dog) . Making some soup or a nice casserole for dinner, and a bowl of cereal at bedtime, and life is very good.
Allaloneami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:59 AM   #27

Reply to Allanoneami: Thanks for your insights. You speak of your Class B in the past tense. What type of RV did you end up with?
(I looked at a Pleasure-Way Excel yesterday and was disappointed. I am now leaning toward a small Class A.)
Old 05-08-2017, 12:31 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny K View Post
Reply to Allanoneami: Thanks for your insights. You speak of your Class B in the past tense. What type of RV did you end up with?
(I looked at a Pleasure-Way Excel yesterday and was disappointed. I am now leaning toward a small Class A.)
I recently discovered the Phoenix Cruiser line of B+ MHs. They are really close to a class C. They seem the perfect compromise to me. I saw a few videos regarding floor plans and build quality and was hooked. It seems they not only thought of everything, but also thought of how to make everything better. Here is one of the many they have on youtube:

I think I am in love with these, especially the ones with the Hickory cabinets. The 2352 is just like the longer 3100 both with twin beds, the 3100 adds a dinette booth which adds a few feet to the length. I love both these models. Not so sure I really need the extra length and dinette booth, being alone and eating in the chair or couch all the time.
Allaloneami is offline   Reply With Quote