Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2018, 02:56 AM   #1

Cleaning Black Water Tank

I recently purchased a used Class B and found the previous owner(s) apparently did not take proper care to flush the black water tank. Despite flushing it now with fresh water while emptying it, it appears there is a build-up of solid waste taking up about 1/4 of the tank's capacity.

Anyone know of a tried and true method of removing this kind of build-up?
HJCihak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2018, 05:11 AM   #2

While our new to us coach had a similar problem, it was not as severe as you have described. It took us a while, but we used water, lots of water, and dish soap. When traveling, we kept about 1/3 to 1/2 tank full of water with soap, and then emptied it at the next stop. It took quite a while, but now we can flush the tank and get a clear water rinse. Best of all, the stink is gone.

Hope your situation can be solved fairly easily.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:32 AM   #3

You can try Noflex Good Reviews on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/BoatersMate-N...oflex+digester
Brezzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:26 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Dish soap and laundry detergent with lots of water over and over again letting it soak to soften up a spray wand also helps and can be bought at Walmart
Intothewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:50 PM   #5

What has convinced you of this 1/4 tank build up??

1) Can you see it by looking down toilet
2) Does tank have problems draining
3) OR is the /14 tank indicator light staying on after dumping tank

1 & 2.......use a Digester.

3...level indicators are notorious for false readings. GEO Method to clean sensors. Course they WILL get dirty again and then give false readings again and again and again

I don't even look at them

Toilet BURPS...time to dump black
Sink/Shower draining slower then usual...time to dump grey
Water pump goes Burrruup....need more water in fresh water tank
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:13 AM   #6

#3, and if the indicator lights are to be believed it's more like 1/2 tank that doesn't empty when purged.
HJCihak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJCihak View Post
#3, and if the indicator lights are to be believed it's more like 1/2 tank that doesn't empty when purged.
Yeah, the sensors are notoriously unreliable. Best thing to do is look down the toilet opening with a flashlight. If it looks empty, then take a wand sprayer down that same hole and try to spray the sides of the tank really good. That should dislodge anything hanging on the sensors. On the other hand, if it really does have a bunch of solid material in it, then dump some Dawn dish detergent in, fill it up about halfway with water, and drive around a bit to agitate. The Dawn helps to dissolve the fats that are causing the "material" to stick to the tank. Then let it sit for a day or two before dumping. This gives the Dawn time to work, and also lets the water rehydrate/soften the material so it doesn't cause a big clog on the way out. You may have to repeat the process once or twice, but that should do it.
OregonJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:29 PM   #8

I thought my blackwater tank was clean. I poured a few buckets of hot water down the toilet and then drained into a bucket. Yuck. I am thinking of adding an outdoor hot water spigot to my house. Every so often I would flush out with hot water and dump at the nearby rv dump site. I agree, I can get weird about things.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:53 PM   #9

Never had more than the pyramid of poo but the magic wand down the toilet is a significant headsup in getting ahead.
After doing all you can with the wand then do the lots of Dawn, hot water and a drive down the rough road in stop and go traffic. Wait a few days and drive to the dump station. Do you have a tank rinse? I find it to be pretty good once the tank is cleaned.
Chowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:17 AM   #10

Ice cubes

A suggestion from one manufacturer was to half fill the tank and then add detergent and water softener. Then add several bags of ice cubes and drive around sloshing the mixture and agitating the ice against the walls.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:23 AM   #11

I hear good things about Happy Camper Extreme.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:00 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
And as a matter of preventing the proverbial shimountain,
the black tank should be left in closed until it is 2/3 or
so full, and then dumped.
Your previous owner left the black tank drain open when
camping, which allows the liquids to run out, but lets the
solids build up, and they can then become quite hard
and thus difficult to remove.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:27 AM   #13

Old Biscuit made good suggestions.

It is very important to keep the black tank drain CLOSED except when dumping the tank.

Driving with a partial tank is important. Agitation aids in keeping solids from settling.

Enzymatic digesters in both tanks to break things down in an eco-friendly way.

Many new RVs plumb the sink and lav sink into the black tank to quickly increase the liquid volume so you keep things from drying out or not having a enough water flow when emptying the tank.

Tank gauges are NOT accurate except when the tank is empty or overflowing.

Just a Crow's opine.....too many folks fret over the inside of their black tank. Do you fret over the status of your septic tank or the condition of your sewer lines and spend a lot of time and water flushing them?
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:44 AM   #14

X2 on Harry Camper Extreme, at least till you get it cleaned out........ice just melts and floats...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water