Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2021, 12:42 PM   #1

Coachmen class B RV quality

Hi,

I am researching small class C"s and class B's and keep on coming across Coachmen class B's such as the Beyond

Are these the same quality as the brands travels trailers and A's or are they different?

Are they worth investing time in further research?

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2021, 08:33 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Watching this because I also am interested in Coachmen "B's"
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 09:42 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Coachmen is owned by Forest River so you might do better looking into quality issues and the reputation of that company. As an example, look at before and after comparisons of quality, materials, fit and finish in the Dynamax line. That brand experienced some significant changes after being bought out by Forest River. Coachmen Bs might be a good value, but expect production line results, not custom built, hand made quality.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 12:42 PM   #4

Thanks R. Wold,

I was a bit hesitant about the brand.
Anyways it turns out the wet bath is a show stopper for DW.
Old 10-01-2021, 06:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
Thanks R. Wold,

I was a bit hesitant about the brand.
Anyways it turns out the wet bath is a show stopper for DW.
Show her a few of the "poop in a bucket" van floor plans out there, and suddenly a wet bath will look like a luxurious addition to any van!
Rocinante440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:05 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a 2019 coachmen CrossFit 22c. The quality of construction has been good. The Ford transit chassis handles well and averages 15mpg.
sask66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:38 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by sask66 View Post
We have a 2019 coachmen CrossFit 22c. The quality of construction has been good. The Ford transit chassis handles well and averages 15mpg.
I think a rig like this built into a high-top van is one of the safest bets available because the body isnt built by the RV manufacturer - all you have to worry about is the quality of the interior components which you can easily determine. Cabinets, furniture and appliances are easy to evaluate and can often be upgraded. Its when you get into the house build and chassis modifications and more extensive plumbing and electrical that you have more room for error.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
I think a rig like this built into a high-top van is one of the safest bets available because the body isnt built by the RV manufacturer - all you have to worry about is the quality of the interior components which you can easily determine. Cabinets, furniture and appliances are easy to evaluate and can often be upgraded. Its when you get into the house build and chassis modifications and more extensive plumbing and electrical that you have more room for error.
Thanks R Wold,

That's what I was thinking also.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:11 AM   #9

FWIW, I’m happy enough with the upfit work in my Galleria. There are shortcuts taken, like stapled cleats that support the panels that supports the seat cushions over the wheel wells that couldn’t support my 230 lb without coming loose. Not big deal, as a little glue and some screws took car of it permanently.

The standard arrangement for this van was a generator and two solar panels, but mine has no generator and three solar panels. I found the leads from the third panel tucked into the insulation in the overhead cabinet that houses the electrical controls. I terminated them for a 50% increase in solar charging current.

Little things like that are an annoyance, but from what I can tell, most RVs are delivered with little annoyance flaws. No water heater bypass valves for winterizing (I added them), no individual switches on the reading lights (later versions have them), little stuff like that.

Cabinets are solid (dovetail joints on the drawers), on the other hand, with soft close slides and hinges. Dimmable LED lighting everywhere with under counter strip lighting in the galley (good for TV watching), lots of little things that are nice. The jack knife couch makes a very comfortable bed. I’ve looked at other brands, including Airstream and Chinook, and just didn’t see the value in the higher asking prices.

Plus, this one has no generator but has a 600Ah battery and second alternator, which is exactly what I wanted. It’s a travel van to us rather than a ‘park it and stay a while’ RV, and it’s just right for that. I can run the roof A/C for hours off the battery while eating lunch and walking the dog and such (all night if it can cycle), and the engine recharges the battery once we get back on the road. The 7 cf AC/DC compressor fridge/freezer will run forever off the solar panels and is big enough for any road trip. It has the Truma Combi heat and hot water system which sips LP and can use electric resistance heat instead (or with LP) when on shore power or the inverter when driving.

I’m happy with it and have no plans to change.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:35 AM   #10

Thanks for the indepth reply.

I will be sure to check one out if I can find one.

Tags
class b, coachmen, quality