Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2018, 08:49 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Dealer Scarcity?

Good Evening from the Atlanta GA area,

My husband and I are rapidly approaching retirement and have begun looking at class B motorhomes, primarily Leisure and Pleasureway. Shocked to find dealers so scarce, with few if any models in inventory and closed on Sunday???? What's a prospective buyer to do?

Attended a small local show and was finally able to see Pleasureway in "person". Only a single model though. Does serious shopping require a road trip and reservations at a dealer out-of-state? Is the market in Georgia not enough to be of interest?

Very appreciative on any insight.
dhchjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2018, 09:08 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us. You're gonna like it here.

As much as you don't want to hear it. A road trip may be the best and easiest way to see what you want. When you consider how much you'll be paying for a rig. Going to see them is worth it.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:10 PM   #3

To find what you're looking for sometimes you do have to travel a fair bit. I drove over 300 miles to look at ours. Good luck in your search.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:07 PM   #4

Old 04-24-2018, 04:10 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum. Lots of good folks here.

Yes you may have to travel. For our first coach we took 3 trips ranging from 50 miles to 300 miles to find the one we wanted.

For our second we did it all on line as we knew what we wanted but are traveling 700 miles to pick it up in a couple of weeks.

Good luck in your search and if you do it right you will be very happy with your new rig.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:53 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Just be aware that if there is a local dealer and you buy out-of-town, that you will have a real problem getting work done on your RV! They will put you on the bottom of their list and keep you there, if they agree to service it at all!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:13 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As I recall there are a number of Dealers within an hour or 2 of Atlanta but some of 'em I'd not wish to buy from.. (Not sure which since I don't RV shop in that area) I did go to the atlanta RV show a few years back, Was dissappointed.

Here in Michigan General RV. which bills itself as the largest RV dealer in MI (I remember when they were a little hole in the wall General Trailer in Ferndale) is building a new dealership
They outgrew the one I bought from.. moved across the freeway and are now too big for that one so they are building another.

And 2 other states too

But a lot of folks are not all that happy with the BIG dealers.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:27 PM   #8

drove over 800 miles to our new coach, TWICE!

the two brands you mention are very low in production numbers... the plants that produce them are not huge, like some of the others, and the 'type' of RV is relatively small in numbers to the other types, so you'll not see as many dealers, or maybe any 'close' to you.

Drive, it's worth the weekend, if this is your passion.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:13 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
You are smart to start looking early. The Pleasure way van styles are easier to get then the wide bodys. If it is a wide body that you want, you may have to order one and wait. They can only make so many a year. The dealers like to keep them on the lot so customers can see what they ordering. Then get ready to dicker for a good price. That being said, [moderator edit] We were planning to downsize from a 35 ft. Class A with 2 slides. So far it is not working well for us. Glad I kept the Class A. Get on there web site and check it out. Good Luck with your search.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:30 PM   #10

We drove to Tampa 650 miles 3 times before we did the deal on our MH. It was worth it, slim pickings in western NC unless you want a travel trailer. All the ones we came across within a few hours were dealer trade in rejects bought at auction. The ones at dealers were overpriced.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:54 PM   #11

We bought our Class A on craigslist in Virginia.

We sold our house when we took a job assignment in China.

After coming back we had 30 day on expense account to decide to retire or move to the next assignment. We bought an old Class A and thought we would go full time for a few years.

Last year we decided to upgrade while traveling around the PNW. We bought our present Class A on craigslist in Yakima.

We also went to RV shows, stopped at dealers and MH with for sale signs. As a word of warning, if the deal sounds too good to be true, run away.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:56 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If you're not in a hurry and you're willing to travel. Wait until September and go to the RV show in Hershey, Pa. They bill themselves as the largest RV show, (but then who doesn't). You'll find almost every manufacturer and they will have most models there with them.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer