Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2021, 09:22 PM   #1

Do Class B MHs leak and get water damage?

I am thinking that Class B motorhomes are manufactured similar to the way that cars and trucks are built and different from the way Class Cs and As are built. Is this correct? If so I would assume that they either don't leak and don't get water damage, or at least it is mitigated. I have never had a car or truck that leaked or had water damage. If this is not the case please advise.

Thank You,

Old Guy Dave
Floridastorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2021, 09:28 PM   #2

In general, class B van conversions can be just as prone to leaks, as any other motorhome. As soon as you start poking holes in the external surfaces of the van body/roof to add appliances or whatever, or if you cut the top off a shorter van to add a raised roof, as many older ones were constructed, you enable water intrusion.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:26 AM   #3

The newer models where the higher ceiling is an integral part of the body are much less prone to leaking that any RV. The seams that cause the most issues simply do not exist. That said, the two weak points that exist on all RVs are the air conditioner and the roof vent, but I have never had an issue with either of these on any of the three RVs I have owned.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
That said, the two weak points that exist on all RVs are the air conditioner and the roof vent, but I have never had an issue with either of these on any of the three RVs I have owned.
All true. The Chinook I looked at but decided against had the roof vent/fan bulging out of the ceiling with some sort of foam leaking out, too. Had to be water intrusion. My Coachmen has a faint patch that almost certainly was from a leak around the Fantastic Fan also. An extra layer of goop on the roof around the fan presumably stopped it - I can see that it was an afterthought, on top of the original sealant.

Antennas, vents, anything that penetrates the steel roof is a potential leak source. But at least there is no FG cap, slideouts (M-B factory windows), or other mods to the walls other than the shore power, Truma heater vent, and outside shower door. OK, so there's a number of wall penetrations, too.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:06 AM   #5

There are a few Class B builders that try not to make swiss cheese out of a factory van so it won't leak. For example, Embassy RV uses a split AC system with no hole in the roof. I wish more builders would take a clue from them. But even those who poke some holes will have less leaks than a class A or C builder that has seams where the roof and walls meet.
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 09:36 AM   #6

Agree with all the previous posts.

One thing to note, not all Class B are simply factory van bodies. If you look, many Class B RVs are nearly identical to a Class C in construction, save for the sleeping area over the cab. In short, they are van chassis with the area behind the cab removed and a manufactured "house" built upon it. Personally, I would call them a Class C, but they are advertised as Class B or Class B+. As such, they would be subject to all the potential leaks of a body built by a different manufacturer than the chassis.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 10:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Agree with all the previous posts.

One thing to note, not all Class B are simply factory van bodies. If you look, many Class B RVs are nearly identical to a Class C in construction, save for the sleeping area over the cab. In short, they are van chassis with the area behind the cab removed and a manufactured "house" built upon it. Personally, I would call them a Class C, but they are advertised as Class B or Class B+. As such, they would be subject to all the potential leaks of a body built by a different manufacturer than the chassis.
Yes and no… If the MH is a Class B, then it is a converted van, and should have less potential for roof leaks, and have better safety features. Any time you poke a hole in a roof, sidewall, you have a leak just waiting to show up. No class B’s start with a cut away chassis/cab combo.

I do agree that anything marketed as a B+ is in fact a Class C. I once owned a 1998 Winnebago Rialta (based on a FWD Volkswagen van cab and motor) which Winnebago classified as a C, some dealers sold them as a B or C depending on what the customer was looking for. Fun fact is when shipped to Winnebago VW attached two cabs back to back. Looked quite odd. Winnebago still does not use the B+ Classification.

I forget who came out with the B+ classification first but at least they were smart. Removing the typical overhead bunk or storage area is taking something away, and a C- would have been a marketing disaster. I contend they muddled things up.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 11:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Yes and no… If the MH is a Class B, then it is a converted van, and should have less potential for roof leaks, and have better safety features. Any time you poke a hole in a roof, sidewall, you have a leak just waiting to show up. No class B’s start with a cut away chassis/cab combo.

I do agree that anything marketed as a B+ is in fact a Class C. I once owned a 1998 Winnebago Rialta (based on a FWD Volkswagen van cab and motor) which Winnebago classified as a C, some dealers sold them as a B or C depending on what the customer was looking for. Fun fact is when shipped to Winnebago VW attached two cabs back to back. Looked quite odd. Winnebago still does not use the B+ Classification.

I forget who came out with the B+ classification first but at least they were smart. Removing the typical overhead bunk or storage area is taking something away, and a C- would have been a marketing disaster. I contend they muddled things up.

Agreed. Unscrupulous salesepeople and manufacturers "created" the B+ class to try to convince some buyers that "it's not really a class C, because it hasn't got the cab over, it's really just a larger class B", because many buyers don't like the idea of owning a class C for reasons unknown.
The RVIA, which is the industry standards organization makes no mention of B+ in their research, reports, or data. They do not exist. They are a unicorn in the RV world.
Note: The use of the term "class" has changed to "type" - e.g. Type A or Type B or Type C motorhome. There is also no mention of the Super C class, either.
Old 09-18-2021, 01:09 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
My Sprinter van/ WinnebagoERA is a 2008 chassis. I'm the third owner and it came with a cover the seller used in winter only. No leaks or stains that I can find.
ArtDecoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:09 PM   #10

Any RV can leak. Class B vans built inside the original van body are generally less likely to leak than a Class C (including those alleged B+ campers), but they can leak too. Also, class B vans with cut-off roof and a fiberglass shell (and windows) on top are also more likely to leak than a Class B built inside an intact van.
Rocinante440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 09:16 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Absolutely agree. Mine is a real B ... factory high top, no slides, crank out windows in original body, etc. And I still woried about leaks, moisture, and mold when I bought it.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:22 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridastorm View Post
I am thinking that Class B motorhomes are manufactured similar to the way that cars and trucks are built and different from the way Class Cs and As are built. Is this correct? If so I would assume that they either don't leak and don't get water damage, or at least it is mitigated. I have never had a car or truck that leaked or had water damage. If this is not the case please advise.

Thank You,

Old Guy Dave
Yes. They leak if not properly maintained.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:00 AM   #13

Thank You All for the enlightening information

Kind of boosts my confidence in at least considering a pure Class B for less maintenance and down the road trouble.
Floridastorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:08 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
That was my thinking based on a friend with two class As currently, and another who owned a C and an A years ago. I live in a very wet climate area in central Pennsylvania and everything molds around here.
Mostly depends on whether you can tolerate the class B compromises. Not for everyone, but works for us. Many (s)miles to you.

Tags
class b, leak, water, water damage