Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2020, 02:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWeiner View Post
Good thing you have a 100 gallon fuel tank, it's still around a 500-600 mile range comfortably and filling that up is a lot of money. I'll bet that you are mostly going with the "toad", because driving that 37 footer to the store for groceries is likely something you don't want to do?

We originally looked at a Class A, around 32 feet, and also a gas model, but, I decided that it was too expensive in fuel. I suppose it's all on how you use your rig and if you mainly take local short trips, it's not so bad. But, I wanted something I could drive across the USA in and WOW, 6 to 7 MPG is a real "show stopper" in my opinion for that.

Maybe you've considered taking it on a cross country trip? I'm sure you can boondock just about anywhere? We're self contained, but, we don't have the kinds of amenities or tank capacity you have, let alone space.

In 200,000 miles of driving, that's more than 33,000 gallons of fuel @ 6 MPG.... not at all insignificant.

That's 300 percent more than what I'm getting on my Sprinter at 18 MPG.

Here in California, the fuel cost alone would be around $115,000 for your rig if you drove 200,000 miles, $75,000 more in fuel than my rig over that 200,000 miles.

I don't know, some people would just say, "it's just gas"

Again, a rig like yours is spacious and luxurious, it's really a complete house on wheels. That's why there's 31 Flavors at Baskin Robbins, enjoy.

I couldn't see myself using a rig this large to justify its existence.
I have heard that a lot of people actually live in RV's this large, maybe you do?

We're just "part time" RV users and would never consider living in the rig, just too small, but, it's great for touring.
The 100 gallon tank is great. We both still work and live up north so the coach is only used 7 months a year for about 3000 miles.

We normally spend about 1,000-1,500$ on gas each year, we use about 500 gallons a year. When we retire in 10 years we will get something more fuel efficient.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2020, 03:15 PM   #30

Fuel efficiency does make a difference....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
The 100 gallon tank is great. We both still work and live up north so the coach is only used 7 months a year for about 3000 miles.

We normally spend about 1,000-1,500$ on gas each year, we use about 500 gallons a year. When we retire in 10 years we will get something more fuel efficient.
I purchased my RV in 2017 with 26,000 miles and we now have just under 49,000 . We used it the first year for a USA trip and put almost 15,000 miles, now averaging about 5,000 miles per year. The 11,000 miles around the USA was great and still it was expensive enough to drive. If my rig got 6 MPG, I would have never done that.

Yeah, get a rig with better fuel economy if you want to go really long distances. The diesel is great for that and doesn't breathe hard on mountain passes.
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 05:14 PM   #31

Quote:
I purchased my RV in 2017 with 26,000 miles and we now have just under 49,000 . We used it the first year for a USA trip and put almost 15,000 miles, now averaging about 5,000 miles per year. The 11,000 miles around the USA was great and still it was expensive enough to drive. If my rig got 6 MPG, I would have never done that.

Yeah, get a rig with better fuel economy if you want to go really long distances. The diesel is great for that and doesn't breathe hard on mountain passes.
We will definitely do a cross country trip at some stage when retired.

What mpg are you getting on what rig?
Old 04-10-2020, 05:35 PM   #32

I'm contemplating adding a Class B to our garage as we've have owned class A's for 13 yrs. I would like a smaller RV to explore places that we could not take the larger class A.

I've been looking for quite sometime so I've looked at AdvancedRV where they do a completely custom unit on the Sprinter chassis. But, they are $250,000+.

The Winnebago Travato (Ram chassis gas, about $150,000, MSRP) and the Winnebago Boldt (Sprinter chassis diesel $170,000 MSRP) have caught my attention. Both offer the Volta3 battery system so there is no need for a generator.

Our class A gets about 6.5 mpg on average at 55,500 lbs.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:24 PM   #33

MPG on my Sprinter 3500

Quote:
We will definitely do a cross country trip at some stage when retired.

What mpg are you getting on what rig?
I have the 3 litre turbo diesel-powered V6 engine (OM642); setup with the dual wheels.

It's all about my cruising speed to get the maximum mileage. At 60 miles per hour on cruise control I have gotten up to 20 MPG, but, my consistent average mileage is between 18-19 MPG. It really doesn't matter too much climbing hills because what I use on the way up I make back on the way down.

Here's a few pictures of my rig, it's pretty aerodynamic. It's a pretty small rig, but, the back sofa converts to a king size bed, which I like. And, with the bicycles on the back of the rig, it makes taking them pretty easy.

There's certainly downsides to a rig this small, but , I like it because it's very easy to drive and I can park it just about anywhere.

Visability on my rig is excellent and it handles great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 RS Adventurous.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	428.7 KB
ID:	281138   Click image for larger version

Name:	bikes on Sprinter.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	506.3 KB
ID:	281139  

Name:	inside additional cabinet instead of seat.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	338.0 KB
ID:	281140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside RS 2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	320.8 KB
ID:	281141  

Name:	Zamp Solar panel on roof of RS.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	425.3 KB
ID:	281143   Click image for larger version

Name:	another rear view of Sprinter.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	426.3 KB
ID:	281144  

Old 04-10-2020, 10:47 PM   #34

Ah, you have a class B Sprinter. I can see now why you are asking about b+.

Crazy things is our used Class A was cheaper than a similar aged Winnie sprinter we were interested in. Cost of insurance, service was a wash.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:19 PM   #35

We looked for 10 years and almost didn't purchase one

Quote:
Ah, you have a class B Sprinter. I can see now why you are asking about b+.

Crazy things is our used Class A was cheaper than a similar aged Winnie sprinter we were interested in. Cost of insurance, service was a wash.
Funny how things turned out; first time we saw a Sprinter, my response was who would pay this much money for a rig like this?

We purchased a tear trailer in 2014, it was very cute and got us out, but, it was very labor intense.

Went looking for a replacement and almost purchased a left over 2016 Navion in 2017 that never sold. I test drove that and a Winnebago Fuze, and then we found the 2012 Roadtrek. It only had 26,000 miles and was $50,000 less than the Navion.

I did look at the brand new Roadtrek and they wanted $152,000 for a vehicle similar to ours, 5 model years newer and 2,500 miles. Yeah, they drove it from Canada to Los Angeles. Couldn't see the value in paying that much.

Even buying it used, it's an expensive rig. Made a few mistakes, never get an RV with a propane refrigerator and don't buy an RV with low generator hours.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:41 PM   #36

Quote:
I noticed that a few posts on the forum talks about "B Travel Vans".... and then reveals that they are talking about a Winnebago Navion....or some "wide body" Ford Excel TS.

Look, I understand that people want extra interior space...if you are looking for this, maybe a Class B+ is for you....

Please realize that "there's no such thing as a Class B +"

They are Class C RV's..... there's no vehicle registration for a Class B+....it doesn't exist. These vehicles are registered as a Class C RV..... there's absolutely nothing wrong with this.

One hidden benefit of the larger vehicle is that components won't be as "shoe horned" into small places making it easier to access things installed on the vehicle....

Just realize that your MPG and handling will be quite different from a true Class B......
Hmmm .... I've figured it out long ago:

Regardless of width or length or the chassis that it's built on, a Class C motorhome has a big section sticking out over the cab area that's large enough for a full queen bed.

Regardless of width or length or the chassis that it's built on, a Class B+ motorhome description is identical to a Class C motorhome description except that the section above the cab is a lot smaller and streamlined such that it is not large enough for anything but maybe a single bunk, at best.

I really don't understand all the confusion.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:27 AM   #37

I'm going to reiterate this one more time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
Hmmm .... I've figured it out long ago:

Regardless of width or length or the chassis that it's built on, a Class C motorhome has a big section sticking out over the cab area that's large enough for a full queen bed.

Regardless of width or length or the chassis that it's built on, a Class B+ motorhome description is identical to a Class C motorhome description except that the section above the cab is a lot smaller and streamlined such that it is not large enough for anything but maybe a single bunk, at best.

I really don't understand all the confusion.
A Class B is just a "van conversion" on the inside. Some are custom or home builds, but, many are done by a company that specializes in building out the inside and adding equipment, but, they do this in the confines of the original factory vehicle.

The one thing that distinguishes at Class C is that they are all built on a "cut away chassis", meaning that the coach manufacturer builds "the RV box" on the back of the vehicle with the original truck chassis up front.

They don't all have a large bunk over the front of the cab, some are streamlined and just have extra storage.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:24 AM   #38

Quote:
Funny how things turned out; first time we saw a Sprinter, my response was who would pay this much money for a rig like this?

We purchased a tear trailer in 2014, it was very cute and got us out, but, it was very labor intense.

Went looking for a replacement and almost purchased a left over 2016 Navion in 2017 that never sold. I test drove that and a Winnebago Fuze, and then we found the 2012 Roadtrek. It only had 26,000 miles and was $50,000 less than the Navion.

I did look at the brand new Roadtrek and they wanted $152,000 for a vehicle similar to ours, 5 model years newer and 2,500 miles. Yeah, they drove it from Canada to Los Angeles. Couldn't see the value in paying that much.

Even buying it used, it's an expensive rig. Made a few mistakes, never get an RV with a propane refrigerator and don't buy an RV with low generator hours.
We have had our 2008 for 2years, plan is to keep it for another 10 and then retire. We would purchase a lake front property up north as a home base and buy a sub 30ft Diesel MH, preferably with 4x4 or AWD. We would use the toad as extra storage.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:48 AM   #39

If you really need the extra space, go for it. Our class b has been large enough for us, (just!) and can be taken anywhere. It's also our second car, so this works out also. Unfortunately, true class b's are a dying breed.
Trekkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:33 AM   #40

I currently have a Sprinter based Class C/B+, whatever you want to call it, and I am seriously considering downsizing to the Lithium version Coachman Beyond Class B van. It is the closest to an all electric small motorhome I can find. The March issue of Motorhome Magazine highlights the NEW Coachman Beyond (new Ford gas EcoBoost, 10 speed automatic, AWD chassis), https://coachmenrv.com/class-b-motorhomes/beyond, with 600ah Lithonics Lithium batteries, 2000w inverter, 12vdc-20,000 BTU air conditioner, Truma Combi electric or propane operated water heater and furnace, DC/AC Nova Kool Compressor Refrigerator, induction cooktop, 12vdc TV, Firefly multiplex coach controller, solar panels/charging, second alternator battery charging, onboard generator, Sumo Springs, suspension upgrades, and more. They claim entire coach self sufficiency for up to 6 hours and that second alternator or generator can recharge the batteries in just 1.5 hours. Some manufacturers are really going all out on putting the technology in their Class B van builds. This Coachman Beyond certainly ticks off a lot of boxes for me. I hadn't really seriously considered a Class B van until I saw the features on this Coachman Beyond. It would be nice to buy something that already meets all your needs as opposed to buying something new that needs a lot of modifications to get it the way you want it!
Old 04-11-2020, 10:47 AM   #41

Beautiful RV, yes, it's a Class C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTraveler View Post
I currently have a Sprinter based Class C/B+, whatever you want to call it, and I am seriously considering downsizing to the Lithium version Coachman Beyond Class B van. It is the closest to an all electric small motorhome I can find. The March issue of Motorhome Magazine highlights the NEW Coachman Beyond (new Ford gas EcoBoost, 10 speed automatic, AWD chassis), https://coachmenrv.com/class-b-motorhomes/beyond, with 600ah Lithonics Lithium batteries, 2000w inverter, 12vdc-20,000 BTU air conditioner, Truma Combi electric or propane operated water heater and furnace, DC/AC Nova Kool Compressor Refrigerator, induction cooktop, 12vdc TV, Firefly multiplex coach controller, solar panels/charging, second alternator battery charging, onboard generator, Sumo Springs, suspension upgrades, and more. They claim entire coach self sufficiency for up to 6 hours and that second alternator or generator can recharge the batteries in just 1.5 hours. Some manufacturers are really going all out on putting the technology in their Class B van builds. This Coachman Beyond certainly ticks off a lot of boxes for me. I hadn't really seriously considered a Class B van until I saw the features on this Coachman Beyond. It would be nice to buy something that already meets all your needs as opposed to buying something new that needs a lot of modifications to get it the way you want it!

What's your mileage on this, 14 to 15 MPG?

We almost purchased one of these in 2017, I really wanted to like driving this more, however, it just felt a little more vague on the road than I liked.
One thing about these extra wide and long extensions of vehicle behind the rear wheels is that the inertia and weight really makes the vehicle seem to lag a little when turning. You feel the front turning first and then the back end just sort of catches up.

The smaller Class B's don't have this sensation and seems to respond a lot quicker. I can't explain it any other way, you just have to drive both of them which is what I did. There's a little more sway and unsteadiness in the larger vehicle.

Don't get me wrong, I love the extra space inside. It all came down to this.
If I didn't like driving it, then I probably wouldn't take it as many places.

One thing about my Class B ; I love driving it and feel comfortable taking it just about anywhere.

Have you considered a Galleria by Coachman?
Old 04-11-2020, 11:00 AM   #42

Could you please explain what you mean by a "dying breed"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkar View Post
If you really need the extra space, go for it. Our class b has been large enough for us, (just!) and can be taken anywhere. It's also our second car, so this works out also. Unfortunately, true class b's are a dying breed.
OK, you've brought up a topic that I've never heard anyone say before.

There's a lot to "unpack here".... you say that it's been large enough for you (that's great), and can be taken anywhere ( I totally agree with this), and that it works as your "second car" ( OK, you really only have one automobile and the Roadtrek is really your 2nd car literally? Did this save you anything on your insurance? I only ask, because, my wife and I each have two cars plus the RV which is our 3rd vehicle. And, with the multi-vehicle discount on the insurance, we save money on the automobiles. If we were to go to one car and the van I think our costs for the one car would actually go up.

How's that working for you?

What do you mean when you say true Class B's are dying?

I think all of us really want to know.

Tags
class b