Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2020, 09:42 AM   #1

Do you really have a Class B + ? And why do you like it?

I noticed that a few posts on the forum talks about "B Travel Vans".... and then reveals that they are talking about a Winnebago Navion....or some "wide body" Ford Excel TS.

Look, I understand that people want extra interior space...if you are looking for this, maybe a Class B+ is for you....

Please realize that "there's no such thing as a Class B +"

They are Class C RV's..... there's no vehicle registration for a Class B+....it doesn't exist. These vehicles are registered as a Class C RV..... there's absolutely nothing wrong with this.

One hidden benefit of the larger vehicle is that components won't be as "shoe horned" into small places making it easier to access things installed on the vehicle....

Just realize that your MPG and handling will be quite different from a true Class B......
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2020, 12:02 PM   #2

Unicorns, leprechauns, faeries, pigs in flight, and Class B+ motorhomes, are all in the same category. They simply do not exist.
(was going to add "a Ford V10 getting good fuel economy", but didn't want to start that old topic, again )
Old 03-03-2020, 01:19 PM   #3

C'mon.....Ford Excel V10.....or 5.4 V8.... not gas savers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Unicorns, leprechauns, faeries, pigs in flight, and Class B+ motorhomes, are all in the same category. They simply do not exist.
(was going to add "a Ford V10 getting good fuel economy", but didn't want to start that old topic, again )
You didn't want to bring this up??? I think you just did😁.

Yeah, the V10 is a very thirsty engine... has to feed all those cylinders.... and displacement.. it's a big engine.

Funny thing about gas coaches...it usually takes a lot of RPMs ( maybe except for the new Eco-Boost to get the necessary torque and horsepower to move a really heavy coach. That's why when you're climbing up a steep mountain pass the gasoline engine has to rev like a banshee to get up the hill.... You don't generally find this with diesels..... much lower torque curve.

Diesels do have their own issues though.... annual maintenance on my Sprinter is about $1,000 per year OR 10,000 miles.... Not inexpensive . .

All about choices....on the other hand. I'm getting 18 to 20 MPG.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:40 AM   #4

The never ending B+/C- C naming debate.
When on my quest for the perfect MH for me I wanted to see C's without the over cab bed.
True C's were just to big for what I wanted.
Searched the net for B+ and found exactly what I wanted to look at.
Understand that B+ is a made up term but it dose describe a particular style of C.

When I say I have a class B+, most everyone knows it is a small class C with no over cab bunk.
Don't care what the official designation is.

So What do I like compared to a class B:
Actually shorter than some class B's.
About a foot wider.
Much taller.
Much more ground clearance.
Much larger fresh, grey, black and propane tanks.
Huge inside.
Huge bathroom with separate glass door shower.
Overall slightly larger outside dimensions so still very easy park and drive.

Originally wanted a class B but when out looking the B+ was just what we wanted.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:34 AM   #5

To B or not to B, that is the question. My answer was “not to B”. To small, where do I put the BBQ, lawn chairs, table, wash bucket, levelers, hoses, cables, power cord....... So looked at the so called B+, yikes they command a pretty penny compared to a so called “C”. So I found a C that has a V10 for towing if needed, 3 burner stove, oven, microwave, double stainless steel sink, 2 door propane refrigerator freezer ( I don’t want a compressor fridge), large wet bath, decent fluid capacity, good storage, and at 19’ 11” fits in a city parking space! I think I’ll call it a C- just to mix everyone up! I’m done lookin’ and hopefully have my last RV.
#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWeiner View Post
You didn't want to bring this up??? I think you just did��.

Yeah, the V10 is a very thirsty engine... has to feed all those cylinders.... and displacement.. it's a big engine.

Funny thing about gas coaches...it usually takes a lot of RPMs ( maybe except for the new Eco-Boost to get the necessary torque and horsepower to move a really heavy coach. That's why when you're climbing up a steep mountain pass the gasoline engine has to rev like a banshee to get up the hill.... You don't generally find this with diesels..... much lower torque curve.

Diesels do have their own issues though.... annual maintenance on my Sprinter is about $1,000 per year OR 10,000 miles.... Not inexpensive . .

All about choices....on the other hand. I'm getting 18 to 20 MPG.
if you get a C- with a V10 & six speed tranny, it will climb those mountains without breathing hard. It’s almost scary zipping up mountain with cruise control on!
Old 03-05-2020, 09:14 AM   #7

What's a "TRUE C?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddykern View Post
The never ending B+/C- C naming debate.
When on my quest for the perfect MH for me I wanted to see C's without the over cab bed.
True C's were just to big for what I wanted.
Searched the net for B+ and found exactly what I wanted to look at.
Understand that B+ is a made up term but it dose describe a particular style of C.

When I say I have a class B+, most everyone knows it is a small class C with no over cab bunk.
Don't care what the official designation is.

So What do I like compared to a class B:
Actually shorter than some class B's.
About a foot wider.
Much taller.
Much more ground clearance.
Much larger fresh, grey, black and propane tanks.
Huge inside.
Huge bathroom with separate glass door shower.
Overall slightly larger outside dimensions so still very easy park and drive.

Originally wanted a class B but when out looking the B+ was just what we wanted.
Nothing wrong with wanting extra space.... Enjoy your RV.

Yeah, we looked at these and test drove them. My DW won't even drive my "B" except for straightaways on the open highway and even then, she's "white knuckling" the wheel.....She wouldn't test drive any of the models we looked at and refused to ever drive the larger models...

I really wanted to like the Class B +..... I drove an Itasca Navion and a Winnebago Fuze... Unfortunately, and this was only my experience,. they listed and pitched way too much like being on a "⛵ "boat".......The front end would turn first and then the tail would wag afterwards.....

I appreciate your point about the extra space..... they are about 18 inches wider....9 inches on either side....

You're right.... they are registered as a Class C.... and that is the official designation.

There's a lot of different sizes for Class C's... small like yours, medium size ones that have bunk over the cabs and "super Cs".... based on large trucks....

The first Class B+ we looked at was a VW Rialta..... yes, you still see them on the road today.... it's a smallish Class C... with no cab over.....

Class B's are built on a factory van that has been converted on the inside and doesn't have a cutaway chassis.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:23 AM   #8

Torque, RPMs and Control......

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
if you get a C- with a V10 & six speed tranny, it will climb those mountains without breathing hard. It’s almost scary zipping up mountain with cruise control on!
I hope you have an Allison transmission for control?

It's not all about "speed"... and the fact that you mention zipping up "scary fast". ..Whoa..... I wouldn't want to necessarily be there.... that's a lot of weight and inertia.

Breathing hard? I don't know about that? It takes a lot of extra RPMs to get the necessary power and torque curve from many gas engines. Again, maybe it would work fine on a brand new "Eco-Boost".... Tell me, am I wrong??
Old 03-05-2020, 09:33 AM   #9

Quote:
I hope you have an Allison transmission for control?

It's not all about "speed"... and the fact that you mention zipping up "scary fast". ..Whoa..... I wouldn't want to necessarily be there.... that's a lot of weight and inertia.

Breathing hard? I don't know about that? It takes a lot of extra RPMs to get the necessary power and torque curve from many gas engines. Again, maybe it would work fine on a brand new "Eco-Boost".... Tell me, am I wrong??
Sorry, those were just expressions. Of course it is breathing harder, I just can’t tell by the sound or slowing down. And, of course I slow down going up by desire, it was just the first few times that I noticed with cruise control on, it goes up as fast as I set it, that is different from any of my 3 previous rv’s. So my point was, mine does not rev like a banshee
Old 03-05-2020, 10:25 AM   #10

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
Sorry, those were just expressions. Of course it is breathing harder, I just can’t tell by the sound or slowing down. And, of course I slow down going up by desire, it was just the first few times that I noticed with cruise control on, it goes up as fast as I set it, that is different from any of my 3 previous rv’s. So my point was, mine does not rev like a banshee
I realize that diesels are not for everyone , and they have their own "drawbacks"..... higher maintenance costs....my oil changes are EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE.... even though I only have one per year.....

But, on mountain passes, and higher elevations... diesels are not breathing as hard as the gassers.... they run at a lower RPM and develop the torque between 1,400 and 2,400 .... my little 3 litre V6 turbo diesel is a real trooper.

I don't know how many miles you drive, but, fuel economy is a real concern and at 18 to 20 MPG or more if I hold down my speed, I can travel very long distances on less fuel.

The V10s are really big compared to the size of my engine. I don't know why this is, but, my engine has a huge oil capacity 13.25 quarts of oil... that's probably a diesel thing...... that's another reason why it's more expensive to maintain and more filters....

Diesels are less affected in high altitudes..
Old 03-05-2020, 12:24 PM   #11

Having owned and driven both engines and drive trains, I can say that you are absolutely correct. My Sunstar had the V10/6 speed combo and it labored on some really steep grades, greater than 6%, and needed the top end of the RPM range to get over the hills. My Navion, like your Roadtrek, does neither, and still gets 15 mpg.
Just sayin'....
Old 03-05-2020, 05:35 PM   #12

This is very true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Having owned and driven both engines and drive trains, I can say that you are absolutely correct. My Sunstar had the V10/6 speed combo and it labored on some really steep grades, greater than 6%, and needed the top end of the RPM range to get over the hills. My Navion, like your Roadtrek, does neither, and still gets 15 mpg.
Just sayin'....
I test drove the Navion and the Winnebago Fuze....the Fuze had a 3.2 inline 5 cylinder engine... I think it is actually built by Navistar.... Even though it's slightly larger displacement...it felt more sluggish than the V6....

I liked the Navion, but, it was only available brand new... and the Roadtrek RS Adventurous was $50,000 less .... my RV only had 26,000 miles on it and I decided to save the upfront cost and extra depreciation schedule from buying new.....

I have driven my RV up to the top of the Eisenhower Pass in Colorado.... and it's fine.... just went up there with no complaint.....on the straightaways it can get 20 MPG... I usually don't get driving past 60-62.... more control at this speed......
Old 03-05-2020, 09:45 PM   #13

Quote:
I test drove the Navion and the Winnebago Fuze....the Fuze had a 3.2 inline 5 cylinder engine... I think it is actually built by Navistar.... Even though it's slightly larger displacement...it felt more sluggish than the V6....

I liked the Navion, but, it was only available brand new... and the Roadtrek RS Adventurous was $50,000 less .... my RV only had 26,000 miles on it and I decided to save the upfront cost and extra depreciation schedule from buying new.....

I have driven my RV up to the top of the Eisenhower Pass in Colorado.... and it's fine.... just went up there with no complaint.....on the straightaways it can get 20 MPG... I usually don't get driving past 60-62.... more control at this speed......
Our first outing took us through the Eisenhower Pass, and we did it effortlessly. It was nice after having our previous gas engined motorhomes struggle with the climb and descent.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:06 AM   #14

I have a 2001 Phoenix cruiser 2300 B+ (yes I know its a class C) it has a V10 a four speed automatic transmission. The best gas mileage I've gotten is
13 mpg, averaging 65-70 mph on the highway using cruise control.

I don't think that's to bad for a V10.
cobra 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class b