RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-16-2020, 10:23 PM   #1

Do you think lower generator hours are better than higher hours and why?

How many hours per year do you run your generator?

And, do you service it yourself or bring it in for regular service? How often?

Once per year??
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2020, 10:38 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
We are fulltimers, with a PowerTech 12.5k, 4 cyl Kabota powered gennie with 4,000 hours as of today.
I would at a minimum want to see 1 hour use per month x the years of "in service" for the coach..
That would show that the unit has been used and cared for..
The adage "Use it or lose it" is true for the windings and armature of a generator to prevent corrosion (and gummed up carburetors for the gas units.)
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:55 PM   #3

Ours was bought new in 2017 and has 400 hours on it. Iíve done regular service on it and agree that itís best to use it. I always let it cool down prior to turning it off, usually by turning the A/C off 5 minutes prior.
Old 06-16-2020, 11:04 PM   #4

My DP has an Onan QD7500 that I just did the most recent oil change on today, this oil has 300 hours on it and next time I will be adding a remote filter mount so that it is easier to service and I can use larger filters. The generator has 2700 hours on it right now and I've been using it continuously for the last 4 days while working on other projects around the coach. When evacuating from hurricanes 2 years ago, it was used for a solid week straight through. This Kubota is a beast, it is designed for WORK and likes to be used. Even better, it is very fuel efficient and decently quiet.

I don't have a problem with hours on a generator, it shows that the unit has been used and hasn't just sat around rotting away. I had a towable Whisperwatt generator (commercial business) that was powered by an Isuzu engine and a P-pump. That unit had over 10k hours on it when I bought it, and was rated for 30k hours before a pump rebuild... Then it could go another 30k hours - over and over. If they aren't working hard and have good oil (I always use full synthetic) then they should be good to go for a VERY long time.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:11 AM   #5

IMO MANY more gen problems from under use than over use. Plus if not used regularly it seems the likelyhood of skipped maint goes up.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:52 AM   #6

Agree completely 💯 percent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
IMO MANY more gen problems from under use than over use. Plus if not used regularly it seems the likelyhood of skipped maint goes up.
Agree with everything you and others have said...

Do you have your generator serviced once per year regardless of hours?

I put 40 hours on my generator in 12 months; I'm NOT a full timer.... and my generator was purchased a year ago..

Next service is 150 hours, but, Cummins recommendation is to get it serviced once a year... which is probably a better idea.....at 40 hours per year it would take me over 3 years to hit the 150 hours mark.

It's less expensive to maintain it rather than replace it....

Unfortunately, when I purchased my RV , three years ago the original generator only had 11 hours on essentially a 6 year old coach.... conversion completed in July 2011...

Generator worked fine for 16 months after I purchased it and then problems led to a complete replacement in 2019...

I've heard that people try and wrap insulation around them to reduce noise, but, I think this is a really BAD IDEA, they are air cooled engines....

What do you think????
Old 06-17-2020, 10:21 AM   #7

….the QD line of Onan genset are common on many/most mid-range to high-end coaches....they are water cooled but do require airflow....sound levels on my QD7500 is from the muffler....since the 7500 adjust RPMs to produce a range of amp outputs, I guess its harder to tune a muffler across different RPM?????? ….don't think adding sound deadening material directly to the genset cabinet is not a good idea...
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:39 AM   #8

Did you mean to say that? I'm confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Ö.the QD line of Onan genset are common on many/most mid-range to high-end coaches....they are water cooled but do require airflow....sound levels on my QD7500 is from the muffler....since the 7500 adjust RPMs to produce a range of amp outputs, I guess its harder to tune a muffler across different RPM?????? Ö.don't think adding sound deadening material directly to the genset cabinet is not a good idea...
Hmm, you actually have a double negative in your last statement.

Did you mean to say it is NOT a good idea?

When you said you "don't think is is NOT a good idea" that really means you think it's GOOD... did you really mean that?
Old 06-17-2020, 12:37 PM   #9

Exactly! [smile]
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:22 PM   #10

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Exactly! [smile]
OS....You be the sly one!
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Exactly! [smile]
Clear as mud.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:36 AM   #12

Gen hours

My new vintage 97 Allegro has an Onan 4000 with 63.5 hours. Runs perfect. It will now be used much more than previously.
Retroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:50 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Low generator hours are pretty indicative of low usage and probably poor maintenance. I would rather see one high higher hours on it.

Ken
Old 08-13-2020, 09:25 PM   #14

I have 50 hours on my 3600 Cummings Onan. I change the Oil with 10 40 Pennzoil synthetic Platinum. I do it one a Year. I did it yesterday. Itís in a 15 View.
I agree running the gas or Diesel every month for at least an hour. Gas generators has issues with gummy gas. My propane gen does not have that issue so I donít run it monthly.
Service is important. My 50 hour gen is better than a high hour aircooled gen.

Tags
generator