Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2020, 10:25 AM   #1

Do you travel with a full tank of fresh water?

Recently, I've been filling up before heading out on the road and keeping a full tank of fresh water....

Sure, it might affect my fuel economy a little, but, having the convenience of having the water while we travel means I don't have to worry about using the bathroom, kitchen sink or run low on hot water...if I need it...

I noticed, at least on my rig, if the water runs down to a quarter of a tank the hot water heater won't work....it needs around a hai s tank to heat up properly.....

Once I'm rolling along, I don't think the extra weight is going to have as much an affect on my mileage..... unless I'm climbing up hills.... and, it doesn't seem to be an issue on my engine performance....

Finally, the extra ballast from the water seems to be more of a steadying factor in "windy conditions"....RV seems more planted on the road....

What do you guys do normally???
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2020, 10:30 AM   #2

We don't have a Class B, but we usually travel with the tank about 80% full. Even though we have different types of vehicles, I think the rationale behind this holds across the board.

We fill at home for the same reasons as you, and also because our well water from home is softened and of a known quality. This keeps me from having to be totally reliant on the water source at the campground or dry-camping location on the road. I can use their water if it's ok, or I can rely on my own if I want.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:36 AM   #3

I travel with a full or almost full water tank.
I also keep it full while in full hookup.

Been to two CGs that had water main breaks. After the repair, they want you to boil the water for 48 hours. I turn off the CG water and use tank water for a few days and then flush my hose before turning it back on and refilling my tank.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:40 AM   #4

Tow a 14K 5th wheel
Never leave W/O fresh water tank FULL

Once upon a time we only traveled with few gallons for potty stops etc

Got to a remote CG and the Main Water Line broke.....CG had NO water and we had only few gallons.
So for a week we had to drive to nearest town and purchase water.
NEVER AGAIN will we be caught short w/o water.

Weight of water has very little impact on mileage........wind resistance plays bigger role

CARRY WATER........never know WHEN you will need it
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:44 AM   #5

I always keep a full tank of water, and empty gray/black tanks while traveling. Once on I-75 at the Tennessee/Kentucky line there was an accident. While we were held up for several hours we were able to cook dinner, use the bathroom and even take showers. The only problem we had were other stranded motorist kept knocking on the door wanting to use the bathroom!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:46 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
It depends on where we're going. We hold 100 gallons of fresh, and usually only carry about 1/4 tank or less while traveling for the potty or sink use. If we're going boondocking we fill up at home. Fortunately we have excellent water at home. I don't feel any difference in handling with a full water tank, but anytime you can travel lighter is probably better.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:46 AM   #7

I have a small 20ft tt. I always keep fresh water tank full when traveling as well. We have been glad to have the water a couple of times.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:16 AM   #8

It depends on the situation.

Going boondocking, we head out with a full water tank.
CG to CG, normally a half tank or more. We have a 100+ gallon tank so this leaves plenty for using the facilities or an unforeseen situation.
Heading home after boondocking is with whatever water is remaining. After a campground stay, if I had the presence of mind to turn off city water and use tank water, the tank may be less than full.
For longer CG stays we’ll use up the tank water, dump the remaining few gallons and refill in order to start with a “fresh” tank.

In all cases we fill a 6 gallon jug with RO water from the house and carry several, 1, 2 or 2 1/2 gallon water bottles for drinking and cooking. For us, tank water is for dishes and bath only.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:34 AM   #9

Maybe 2/3 but it depends on destination or purpose of trip.
Agree about added weight helps steady the coach.
Haven't noticed much of a difference in fuel economy, with water full or empty. Once you get it rolling, it's probably not much of a factor.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:21 PM   #10

I fill my little 30 gallon tank right to the top before I leave. The extra 250 lb is just a little more than I weigh, and it moves from the fresh tank to the other two over the course of several days or so. Then I dump the holding tanks and refill the fresh.

If I only filled it halfway, that 125 lb weight savings would be even more negligible than running full. So I don’t bother, and just start with it full and the others empty.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:25 PM   #11

I guess I am in the minority here. I will usually keep about a third of a tank. More than sufficient for our needs. Been doing it that way for the past 15 years, never been left high and dry...
Old 01-12-2020, 07:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redapple View Post
I guess I am in the minority here. I will usually keep about a third of a tank. More than sufficient for our needs. Been doing it that way for the past 15 years, never been left high and dry...
Yeah, but you have a 75 gallon FW tank. 1/3 of that is 25 gallons, similar to what I set out with.

https://www.theautochannel.com/db/RV...pecs.php?id=42
Old 01-12-2020, 07:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
Yeah, but you have a 75 gallon FW tank. 1/3 of that is 25 gallons, similar to what I set out with. [emoji23]

https://www.theautochannel.com/db/RV...pecs.php?id=42
You got me there...[emoji4]
Old 01-13-2020, 03:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Tow a 14K 5th wheel
Never leave W/O fresh water tank FULL

Once upon a time we only traveled with few gallons for potty stops etc

Got to a remote CG and the Main Water Line broke.....CG had NO water and we had only few gallons.
So for a week we had to drive to nearest town and purchase water.
NEVER AGAIN will we be caught short w/o water.

Weight of water has very little impact on mileage........wind resistance plays bigger role

CARRY WATER........never know WHEN you will need it

So true. Water weight helps hold me down in wind and I always have water.
Mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, travel, water