Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-25-2021, 07:11 PM   #1

Downsizing

Thinking of downsizing to a B class. Wondering where everything goes? Dirty laundry, shoes, outdoor chairs, bedding, jackets, etc.?
slaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2021, 07:24 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaney View Post
Thinking of downsizing to a B class. Wondering where everything goes? Dirty laundry, shoes, outdoor chairs, bedding, jackets, etc.?
Yes there is the problem with downsizing to a B class.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:39 PM   #3

You'll need to carry less of that. It varies by floorplan of course, but usually there are overheads (clean clothes and bedding), under bed storage (sometimes clean clothes, laundry basket, sometimes other stuff like chairs), some outside storage for chairs and such. The primary difference is that you'd likely have room for only 2 chairs, a single laundry basket, a couple coats, etc. You'd need to weed out your stuff to get down to just the things you really need to take every trip, and then a few extras that you only load in for specific trips where those items are needed.

For instance, you'd only take along the beach stuff if going to the beach, and not take the cold weather gear. Likewise, if going cold weather camping you'd load in the cold weather gear, but leave the beach stuff at home.

I've seriously considered it, but with a family of 5 it's not currently practical. I'm still considering it for my wife and I once the kids have flown the coop though.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:20 AM   #4

You could pull a small utility trailer, as a "mobile shed/closet", depending on the type of B you get.
Or, some folks add a swingaway storage container like a Rola hitch mounted box. I had one on my Roadtrek. Good for those extras that you only need when stopped for the day/night. Or to carry spare stuff, like fuel, and so on.
Or, you could adopt a mor minimalist approach and leave the unnecessary stuff behind.
I chose option 2.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:30 PM   #5

slaney take a look at some class B+ RV's, they have more room than a class B and get around just as easy..

Class B+ also have more storage and a bigger fresh water tank.
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:10 AM   #6

He's already in a small C (the mythical B+).
Old 03-27-2021, 09:37 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
The issue I found with the Class B I had:

- shared eating and sleeping area so you had to transition every day
- shared toilet and shower area - not big enough for either

However the engine power to size ratio is great. The Chevy V8 had plenty of power to cruise down the road. Great parking ability.

And if you do pack too much stuff, as I usually did, you just maneuvered around it - on the couch, floor, passenger seat, under dinette, inside the microwave, etc.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Or, some folks add a swingaway storage container like a Rola hitch mounted box. I had one on my Roadtrek. Good for those extras that you only need when stopped for the day/night. Or to carry spare stuff, like fuel, and so on.
Or a StowAway2. Adds a lot of storage, especially things not needed until stopped for the night. Like the propane fire pit, chairs, tables, tools, shore power cable, heavy coats once far enough south, soft bags of clothes for once weíre at our destination, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9A589CCF-DEB3-454E-AF4C-AF972AC5CD67.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	544.6 KB
ID:	322810  
Old 03-28-2021, 11:28 PM   #9

Slaney, you will be surprised at how easy it is to carry everything you need. In the span of two years we went from a 45' bus conversion to a class-C (hated it) to our current B van. On the bus we had 4 tvs, a 2 door residential fridge, washer and dryer, dishwasher, and -- no lie -- a jacuzzi bathtub and double shower. We had so much space and carrying capacity that we carried a duplicate of every appliance (and pretty much every other item) that we had at home, plus enough food and clothes to outlast a zombie apocalypse. We quickly realized that while nice to have, most of that is unnecessary (except the espresso machine). We seldom wish for more room on the van. Our van does have more interior cabinets than some others we looked at, and we do use a Stowaway box on long trips if we want to carry a screen tent and other campground paraphernalia, but most of the time we leave it at home. For us, the ability to go and park almost anywhere was well worth the sacrifice of space. We enjoy the 3-D puzzle challenge of packing everything we want to carry in the limited space available. I suggest you carefully research the available B van models, as even though the layouts are often similar, the amount of usable cabinet space does vary a lot. Good luck!
Currently: 2018 Midwest Automotive Designs Weekender MD2 (Sprinter 3500 ext 170 wheelbase) Previous rigs: 2014 Itasca Cambria Class C; 2000 MCI 4500e bus conv. American Coach; 2007 Fleetwood Rev. class A; 1990 Prevost XL bus conv. by Country Coach
LA-Hodag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:28 PM   #10

Opps wrong post
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaney View Post
We're thinking of downsizing as well. I've rented a 2018 Hymer Aktiv 1.0 for 7 nights in June. The design of the bed provides what they call a "garage" area under the bed.

The Hymer has 260 watts of solar panels and lithium batteries. Cassette toilet but does have a fresh water tank and grey water tank. Propane heat.

Being a Euro design it has the front lounge area you'll find on some of the other Promasters.

My wife and I built a spreadsheet with test cases based off how we use our class A to validate the pros and cons of a class B.

Our thinking is we want to travel more. We see the class A as a destination vehicle. We see the class B as a travel vehicle where we can drive twice the miles we currently drive the class A with tow vehicle in a day which I limit to about 240 miles.

Years ago we did some kayak camping so we know how to be minimalists if we want to be.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:57 PM   #12

My wife and I (no kids) first RV is our class B.

We have an Aluminess box off the back for the hoses / tools / tarps etc unsavory stuff. We have an Aluminess roof rack with a storage box on it that carries stuff we don't use often but are more relaxed if we have - tool kiit, tire inflator, off-season clothes in case of weird weather etc.

Storage is not an issue so far. The compromise is elbow room inside the rig - we cannot easily pass by each other fore-and-aft. Everything we do inside the rig requires co-ordination - some examples:

Brushing our teeth
Dressing / undressing
Getting out of bed
Cooking
Walking the dog
Standing up to go to the fridge to get a soda water
etc

We don't spend more time than weather or driving requires actually inside the rig - if you are inclined that way (being outside) anyway, you won't notice a class B constricting you very much. If you like being 'indoors', you will feel cramped with two people, and it won't be due to lack of storage so much as no room to use the things that you do store and bring.

Mind the GVWR - my Sprinter conversion has a GVWR of 11k lbs and we are at 10k.
MarkSaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtrekers View Post
We're thinking of downsizing as well. I've rented a 2018 Hymer Aktiv 1.0 for 7 nights in June. The design of the bed provides what they call a "garage" area under the bed.
Well we decided to downsize. We purchased a 2021 Winnebago Solis 59px flat top which we pick up this Tuesday 4/20/21.

I'm shooting video today of all the storage our 2016 Trek has to look back on in 6 months to remind my wife and I just how much storage space we were able to live without.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:43 AM   #14

I'm putting the cart before horse here but I'm scheduled to pick up my class-B at the end of May. I have a deposit on it and if for some reason I don't like it, the deposit is 100% refundable.

I've been reading about 'B's' for over a year checking out different brands and models. I zero'd in on the Pleasure Way product. I started looking/reading about the Winnebago Travato then the Boldt.... which lead me to the Plateau. I like the sofa that converts to a bed and that I can use it as a twin bed. It will be just me traveling.

I've had two large coaches covering 15 yrs. so I want to try a different type of traveling. Looking forward to actually being able to stay in Key West and some places in the Northeast.

I plan on pulling a car on occasion depending on the trip. I know the 'B' will be an adjustment and I think I can handle it. If not, it will sell quickly but I really think I've done my homework.

I'm getting excited about the 'new way' to travel.

Mark
Mr.Mark is online now   Reply With Quote