Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2020, 04:04 PM   #57

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowntrouble View Post
Yes, I was understanding this is the usual way the tanks are configured. I just wasn't sure how you were handling your gray water. The undercarriage piping for gray water sounds interesting. Would this nullify the coach being 4-season capable, as the gray water might freeze?

Doesn't sound like the gray water is going to be stored going straight to ground
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2020, 06:07 PM   #58

Quote:
Yes, I was understanding this is the usual way the tanks are configured. I just wasn't sure how you were handling your gray water. The undercarriage piping for gray water sounds interesting. Would this nullify the coach being 4-season capable, as the gray water might freeze?
The undercarriage piping is what stores the shower drainage in their normal configuration. It would freeze if it had water in it when below freezing. Using it to also hold gray water from the sink would limit the 4-season capability slightly. But there are other ways to deal with sink water when in freezing temps. The shower draining into external tank/piping has always limited cold weather showering in the inherent Embassy RV design. To improve the 4-season capability the undercarriage piping would need to be protected from freezing.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:12 PM   #59

I should have explained my coach order configuration better.
Stock ERV coaches have a gray water bladder inside the coach next to or on top of the fresh bladder.

As fresh empties, gray fills make it a net liquid swap in the space where they are.

Terry can make the gray into fresh, thus increasing total fresh. I asked for this.
So, my only gray is the pipes under the coach. Works for me. I would probably just put the hose in the sewer at the campground slot and l drain it when needed. When boon docking, I'd just figure a way to drain away from the traffic area of the camp site.

Sorry if I created confusion.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:31 AM   #60

Quote:
You pour some RV antifreeze down the shower drain and you are good to go.
Pierce93055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:12 AM   #61

@Bad Bolt,

Did you have any conflicting thoughts on ditching the black tank? I've talked to folks who are shocked that we would consider a coach without a black tank, but to me, it just gets rid of a headache. What was your thought process when you decided it would not be a problem?

Also, if the 2 bladder tanks are used for fresh water, how does Terry compensate for the additional space required? The fresh water / gray water system just relied on displacement.
ttowntrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:34 PM   #62

My thoughts about not having a black tank are not without careful consideration of its replacement. The Laveo dry flush system is self contained with only replacing the cartridge when used up. It is so simple and sanitary, what’s not to like? The system just needs to be understood and thought through. Black dumping is eliminated, underbody real estate gained and no tank treatment cost and dump cost and time to deal with such an inherently dirty and unsanitary system. What remains is the cartridge cost. Works for me! And, you can place the toilet anywhere you like.
There are two water bladder configurations that I understand based on which model chosen. One has the bladders stacked, the other is where they are end to end. The Traveler Sport is the latter.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:09 PM   #63

We're not a fan of the Laveo because of the enormous amounts of plastic waste it seems to generate. It also occurs to us that few things can ruin a trip faster than a needlessly complicated space toilet gone bad...

Aside from that, we're generally impressed with Embassy and their designs / implementations.

Fortunately, at this point it appears the Laveo is an option, not a requirement.
Rocinante440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:16 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante440 View Post
We're not a fan of the Laveo because of the enormous amounts of plastic waste it seems to generate. It also occurs to us that few things can ruin a trip faster than a needlessly complicated space toilet gone bad...

Aside from that, we're generally impressed with Embassy and their designs / implementations.

Fortunately, at this point it appears the Laveo is an option, not a requirement.
I'm also not a fan of the Laveo for plastic waste and an unsustainable way of dealing with human waste. I'm sure it would work well in some applications with limited use. If you dig deep enough into the reviews it seems that after month or so of use, many want to return it. Home Depot has been selling them for a few years now and their Q&A on the Laveo has many problematic comments.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/question...et/205205828/1

I thought this comment on the HD site was very telling:
"May 13, 2020
the half that say they've had issues have actually bought and used the thing. every time i read a review that says "15-17 uses before i have to refill" i already know is bogus - that comes straight from the manufacturer. the folks who say customer service is non-responsive are the actual owners. i know, because i've tried several times to contact them about packs only lasting thru 10 uses consistently."

I'd probably go with the Cassette toilet. I really like having multiple toilet options offered by Embassy RV.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:37 PM   #65

After doing some research and reading the Home Depot Q&A section about the Laveo, I'm leaning toward a cassette toilet on the coach. We have a video conference with Terry and Wanda tomorrow, so will ask them about the specifics. I'm thinking the Laveo is too "fidgety", and the cassette toilet is a more tried and true product. The Laveo might be the best thing since sliced bread, but I'm a little concerned about the issues some folks have had, and also the expense of the packs.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:22 PM   #66

Quote:
After doing some research and reading the Home Depot Q&A section about the Laveo, I'm leaning toward a cassette toilet on the coach. We have a video conference with Terry and Wanda tomorrow, so will ask them about the specifics. I'm thinking the Laveo is too "fidgety", and the cassette toilet is a more tried and true product. The Laveo might be the best thing since sliced bread, but I'm a little concerned about the issues some folks have had, and also the expense of the packs.

I've seen a video with a Laveo failure, and although I believe the only people who tend to post product reviews are the ones who have real issues, if it does happen to fail... how do you fix it? With a cassette or composting toilet, I'd assume you could just get a new part or maybe have someone local do temporary fixes. I can't see how you would do that with a Laveo if things did go south.

We've been leaning towards composting toilets, and I really like the Air Head. The design seems better than the Nature's Head, although it costs a bit more. Of course, if we are going to spend money on a new RV, the cost difference seems minimal.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:52 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadsofLife View Post

I've seen a video with a Laveo failure, and although I believe the only people who tend to post product reviews are the ones who have real issues, if it does happen to fail... how do you fix it? With a cassette or composting toilet, I'd assume you could just get a new part or maybe have someone local do temporary fixes. I can't see how you would do that with a Laveo if things did go south.
And they are pretty expensive too. I'm having trouble determining the difference between a porta-potty type toilet and a cassette toilet. It seems that a lot of people that are reviewing toilets are using the terms interchangeably. Does a cassette toilet always necessitate cutting a hole in the side of the coach to pull out the cassette? If so, that's probably a no-go for us.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:01 AM   #68

We had our video shop tour / meeting with Terry yesterday. So impressive! Even after watching other videos of his shop and work, I must say, this one was the best. He is working on an impressive variety of both coaches and commercial vehicles. He is so innovative and interesting - I can't wait to meet him in person.

After talking about the toilet concerns, he has me convinced that the Laveo is the way to go. The innovations he includes in his product and his honesty have convinced me that the product is worthy, so if we are able to swing this, the Laveo will be on board.

We got a look at a semi-finished Dual Traveler - what a layout! I am even more excited now than just looking at the floor plan on paper, as I really couldn't tell what was happening with the beds. The rear bed is raised up, so there is storage underneath. And it folds up against the 2 side walls making a passthrough from the front to the back door. The front bed is designed to be "telescoping" instead of folding, so not sure how that works yet. It's hard to believe how much storage he gets in one of these!
Old 09-11-2020, 08:58 PM   #69

Quote:
. . . Does a cassette toilet always necessitate cutting a hole in the side of the coach to pull out the cassette? If so, that's probably a no-go for us.
The cassette toilets installed by Embassy RV in their basic Traveler model do not require a hole in side of van. The cassette is removed by opening the driver side rear door. Attached photo with red arrow pointing to the cassette door, which is inside the van.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedEmbassy-PRL-Tan---Toiletjpg_LI.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	300756  
Old 09-11-2020, 10:39 PM   #70

Thumbs up

Quote:
After talking about the toilet concerns, he has me convinced that the Laveo is the way to go.

What did Terry say that made you change your mind and become so sure the Laveo was the right way to go? I can't get over the expense of the cartridges (no matter how they get priced, they are way too expensive). And what if a part breaks? Where do you get it repaired? There is also the amount of waste with the cartridges.

Quote:
We got a look at a semi-finished Dual Traveler - what a layout! I am even more excited now than just looking at the floor plan on paper, as I really couldn't tell what was happening with the beds. The rear bed is raised up, so there is storage underneath. And it folds up against the 2 side walls making a passthrough from the front to the back door. The front bed is designed to be "telescoping" instead of folding, so not sure how that works yet. It's hard to believe how much storage he gets in one of these!

I want to see the Dual Traveler even more now!!