Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2017, 04:10 PM   #1

Enough power?

We are looking at a Dynamax REV on a Dodge Ram Promaster chassis; gas 3.6 L V6 280 HP & 260 ft-lbs of torque, with 6 speed transmission with OD.

GCWR of 11,500 lbs. 24'.

Is this likely under powered? Is there anyone out there with experience with this rig? If so, can you tow much of anything, and what kind of gas mileage do you get?
Modersical is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2017, 10:49 PM   #2

Dynamax REV 24
GVWR 9,350#
GCVWR 11,500#

So MAX Tow of 2150#

RAWR of 5200# which can get close to rating with just normal loading ...8600#

Issue is that 3.6L gas engine.
Great little engine.....19-20 mpg on FLAT no wind roads
Add a little wind, a small incline etc and MPG drops to 12 , trans drops out of 6th/5th and engine has to REV to keep from getting run over.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:27 PM   #3

So, you think the Ford Transit Chassis with 3.2L I-5 Power Stroke Turbo diesel 185HP & 350lb-ft Torque would be a more respectable powerhouse , as comes on the 23' Thor Compass?

I guess the Dodge's tiny 3k receiver hitch, compared to the Ford's regular size 5k hitch tells part of the story?

I drove the Dodge today. Handles well, and is pretty peppy in slower traffic; but getting it from 60 to 70 on the interstate takes time and patience.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:27 AM   #4

Ford Transit is available with the proven 3.7 litre or for a up charge the eco-boost that has 305 HP and 400 Lbs. torque!
Comes on either the Coachmen Crossfit or the Winni Paseo (sp)
B-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-RV View Post
Ford Transit is available with the proven 3.7 litre or for a up charge the eco-boost that has 305 HP and 400 Lbs. torque!
Comes on either the Coachmen Crossfit or the Winni Paseo (sp)
Are those Ford Transit engines gas or diesel, B-RV?

Is the engine I mentioned new or unworthy of doing the job well?
Old 07-25-2017, 11:42 AM   #6

The 3.5 Eco-Boost and the 3.7 are gas. A less expensive option, if I'm going diesel in this size RV, I'm going with the Mercedes. Dollar for dollar, a tough one to beat.
B-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modersical View Post
So, you think the Ford Transit Chassis with 3.2L I-5 Power Stroke Turbo diesel 185HP & 350lb-ft Torque would be a more respectable powerhouse , as comes on the 23' Thor Compass?

I guess the Dodge's tiny 3k receiver hitch, compared to the Ford's regular size 5k hitch tells part of the story?

I drove the Dodge today. Handles well, and is pretty peppy in slower traffic; but getting it from 60 to 70 on the interstate takes time and patience.
Thanks all, for info you shared. I wanted info on these two engines . . . the little Dodge gas 3.6L V-6 & the Ford I-5 3.2L Diesel; as those are the two available and on lot presently.

Both are peppy little engines at city street speeds, however, the Ford was a bit more peppy.

At highway speeds, In the Dodge V-6, do not expect to pass much more than horse and buggies. Getting from 60 to 70 seemed to take forever. That engine was straining and really revved up . . . I guess that is where they got the name Rev??? No, you don't see hose and buggies running at 60 mph, but they do run at speeds this engine can overcome.

The little 3.2L Powerstroke on the Ford, however, did keep It's pep for passing at highway speeds, and went from 60-70 mph fairly quickly and without straining.

More importantly, however, is the comfort driving. The Ford cockpit is considerably more roomy. I am 6' and my wife 5' 10", and we fit the full size size Ford seats much better, with plenty of room for our legs and feet. As a matter of fact, I usually have my seat adjusted about all the way back when driving, however, I had to move up a bit from farthest rear seat position to reach the pedals! Room to spare!

The Dodge, on the other hand, had a much more shallow seat, supporting only about 3/4 of our thighs, as we sat; and could never stretch our legs out . . . Barely room for our feet, and our heels were against the front of seat, so our knees were close and bent tight. The Dodge Promaster chassis is made for little people . . . Really!

We made our decision: Ford Thor Compass over the Dodge Promaster Dynamax Rev. Besides more pep, and better comfort, we both like the looks of the Ford better . . . inside and out.

Tags
power