Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-04-2021, 08:53 AM   #1

Expanding water hoses

Does anyone use expanding water hoses?

I use an RV typical blue / white relatively stiff fresh water hose and I am wanting something more packable.

I wonder if an expanding hose will give me any flow issues either due to kinking or to flow resistance from the need for water pressure to make the hose expand. It would definitely pack down smaller and much more easily take the shape of whatever space I have to stuff it into.

Anyone use such a hose and like it or attempt to use one and go back to a stiff hose from some bad experience?
MarkSaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2021, 09:02 AM   #2

Nope never used one and the reviews on Amazon were enough to stay away from them.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:12 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had two different ones that I used for trailer and truck washing. Both split after one season of light use. No more for me.

I'll stick to the blue Camco hose.

Ken
Old 10-04-2021, 09:26 AM   #4

I bought something like this a few years ago at Sam's for general household use. I think it came as a 2 pack, 50' each.
https://www.samsclub.com/p/lightweig...f/prod21991834
I had thought about trying it as a potable water hose, and the packaging suggested it's safe for use for drinking water, but I never got around to actually trying it. It works very well as a garden hose, and it's lighter weight and flexibiity have survived a couple of winters up here. No leaks, so far.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSaxton View Post
I wonder if an expanding hose will give me any flow issues either due to kinking or to flow resistance from the need for water pressure to make the hose expand.
Other than durability, they work fine if there is enough water pressure which you typically get from a city hookup. However they are terrible if you are using them to drain a tank or siphon water, as there is not enough pressure to expand the hose and you only get a trickle of water through it.
ait109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 12:05 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Recently Project Farm on YouTube did including several collapsible. At least one said it was lead and BPA free but don't know whether it was "drinking water" safe. His reviews are pretty objective and definitely cover wear and tear.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 04:00 PM   #7

My wife bought three expanding hoses. They are lighter than standard hoses. They work, sort-of, but are inconvenient when pressure is shut off or decreases. They shorten slowly pulling on what ever they are connected to.

The flow is also restricted. Two hoses connected to a lawn sprinkler have reduced flow. Standard garden hose delivers higher volume.

Certainly don't buy one for potable water use unless it says so on the package. I am not sure I trust the statements I have seen on the packages. They seem to side step the issue.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 06:55 PM   #8

If you google long and hard enough you'll find RVers who use them for potable water.
ZeroG seemed to pop up the most when I did a search awhile back.
They make both a 1/2" and 5/8" if I remember correctly,
the latter seemed better if you needed more pressure.

O LLOYD
O Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:43 PM   #9

Zero G user here. Hose works fine, but you do have to check to make sure there aren't and kinks in the hose blocking water flow. Durability has been good over two years of use.

That said, I'm switching back to the tried and true blue hose. The convenience of better storage on the Zero G doesn't outweigh the ease of use for the solid blue hose, in my opinion.

Jim
Old 10-04-2021, 10:35 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
I also use a Zero G hose. Works fine for my application, and I store it on an electrical cord hand reel.
Old 10-04-2021, 10:57 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I used a zero G, for about 3 months. Then it failed.

I now use the Sam's Club flex H20. Six months and counting. What I really like about it is I can get 75' on my reel; a regular house will only fit 50'.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
I bought something like this a few years ago at Sam's for general household use. I think it came as a 2 pack, 50' each.
https://www.samsclub.com/p/lightweig...f/prod21991834
I had thought about trying it as a potable water hose, and the packaging suggested it's safe for use for drinking water, but I never got around to actually trying it. It works very well as a garden hose, and it's lighter weight and flexibiity have survived a couple of winters up here. No leaks, so far.
We have a similar cloth hose in the garden. Very light weight, and after four years still doesn't leak a drop. I may bring it with us on the next trip this winter. I also don't care if it's drinking water safe, as we only use bottled water for drinking.

I've been using the coiled plastic outside shower hose the van came with. It's a bit short, but it works well for what I need it for, which is primarily filling the fresh tank at an RV site. The longer one that I keep on the boat would reach much farther, but I think I'll use the cloth garden hose next time, since it will take the least space of any hose.

I don't want the standard white potable water hose, as it will take too much space, and space is severely limited on a van.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:04 AM   #13

I use an Aqua Joe fiber jacket hose. Similar to a Zero G, but less expensive and has better durability according to the Project Farm review. I keep it on an extension cord reel.

It's not what I use at home though. For there, I buy the most durable heavy hoses I can find. They last years if you don't run the lawnmower over them.
rogerstg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:32 AM   #14

We found that the pokies in the Arizona desert caused too many failures. I went with the metal clad hose instead. Stays flexible and seams to have no memory when coiling it up. I'm not sure if they are drinking water approved, but we have been using gallon bottled water for years.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hose, water