Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2019, 12:50 PM   #1

Extended Warranty?

Just curious if anyone has any comments on purchasing extended warranty on a new motorhome.
Thanks, Iver
2019 Pleasure Way Lexor.
Topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2019, 01:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topman View Post
Just curious if anyone has any comments on purchasing extended warranty on a new motorhome.
Thanks, Iver
2019 Pleasure Way Lexor.
Don't do it. Too many people with too many bad experiences on these warranties.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:57 PM   #3

I think you are in the majority with your opinion on these warranties.
I still haven't heard anyone say "Wow, I'm sure glad I bought the warranty"!
So I guess it is a "no-go" unless someone convinces me otherwise.
Thanks, Iver.
2019 PW Lexor.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:30 PM   #4

You're better off tossing the money they want for the warranty into a separate TFSA, invested in something that returns 5%, and use that to fix stuff that breaks outside the factory chassis/coach/appliance warranties. A DRIP would also work for something in a blue chip stock.
They're like insurance, you're betting that something will fail and it will be covered, and they're betting that nothing will fail that is covered, all within the term of the warranty.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topman View Post
I think you are in the majority with your opinion on these warranties.
I still haven't heard anyone say "Wow, I'm sure glad I bought the warranty"!
So I guess it is a "no-go" unless someone convinces me otherwise.
Thanks, Iver.
2019 PW Lexor.
Actually, I got an extended warranty when I got my 2016 Tiffin class A. On our trip this summer to Glacier Park in Montana, the main Air Conditioner/Heat Pump died. I also realized the main slide's hydraulic ram was leaking. The extended warranty company covered the repairs - over $2K (we chose to stop at our dealer not they way home so they could review the needed repairs and call the warranty company. The warranty company DID send an inspector to verify the repairs were needed (both the air conditioner and slide ram had to be replaced). The repairs took 2 weeks (partly because it took about 2 weeks 2 get the slide ram).

So in MY case, the extended warranty has been worth it. The warranty cost just under $3K. I still have a couple of years left. I could have put the money aside and would be ahead a couple of hundred bucks. If something else goes wrong in the next year or so, I could still end up ahead. Either way, I am not unhappy at all.

So: "I'm sure glad I got the warranty." I'll just pass on the "wow".....

It's insurance. You may or may not need it. It may or may not pay for itself. We paid within the loan, so it wasn't an extra check and was only a few extra bucks a month. Worth it for us. You'll have to decide for yourself. Although we have a few things more to go wrong then a class B would have

best,

Dave
Old 09-03-2019, 12:14 AM   #6

Thanks Dave,
Okay, there we have one vote for the extended warranty.
I'm happy that it worked out for you. I'm not sure that I am convinced but I still am undecided.
Iver.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:50 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is a warranty if it comes from the manufacturer. It is a service contract if it comes from someone else. Cost seems to be the deciding factor. Everybody would get one if $100 got you a 6 year, 72,000 mile contract......

Do you have life insurance, h/o policy, medical plan, etc. ? Anyway your 2019 chassis and coach is covered for awhile. See how it goes....
Old 09-04-2019, 11:21 AM   #8

Thanks Scooter,
I was thinking the same way.
Iver.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:21 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Think about it a minute, an extended service contract (not warranty) is sold by a company to make money. It is not to provide you reimbursement for repairs, it is not to maintain the company's reputation, it is not to get you to feel loyal to the manufacturer, it is not to enhance the image of the manufacturer. It is to make money at your expense. Therefore they historically insert clauses to restrict payouts, they procrastinate in payouts and generally do anything possible by their contract to avoid any payments. One such example is the "prior approval" clause. Read the tales of these experiences in various blogs to confirm these scenarios. My personal opinion is that it is more sensible to deposit an amount equal to the cost of such a deal in a bank or credit union.
604eholston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:56 PM   #10

Thank you 604eholston,
As you say, there is a lot of information on these "extended service contracts" on line. Most of the opinions are negative.
I have for many years repaired and maintained every RV we have owned and I am comfortable doing that if I have a problem after warranty.
So at this point, I will likely decline the option.
Thanks to all,
Iver.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:28 AM   #11

The goal of companies is to make money. This is the main rule. If an extended warranty exists, it means it is more beneficial to the company than you. Covered damage does not always compensate for the cost of the guarantee.
Tom Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extended warranty, warranty