Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargovan View Post
Just finished a mini-project in my van conversion transformation. Over the last two weeks I created and installed a 'hidden' extension shelf under my bed. All cherry hardwood and some cherry ply.

Look here to see the details.

Looks great! Not much space between the pull out extension and the mattress leaving the possibility of moisture under the mattress. Have you checked out the Froli Sleep System? Takes up a minimum of space, is lite weight and provides comfort and ventilation. We have it on our sailboat and it works great.
GeilerKamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #30

After my last post, I took a short brake, but now I’m refreshed and at it again. We are in the final stretch of the multi purpose cabinet and next time I hope to have it ready to install in the (cargo) van conversion.

Follow my progress on cargovanconversion.com

Old 07-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #31

As I am struggling a bit to finish the multi-use cabinet, the next phase of the van conversion will entail some of the wiring for the off-grid electrical system. Before any new cabinets are built, cables have to be laid. At the same time, buying a battery charger, inverter, some batteries and an induction cooktop, will give give me ever more use of the van, while the conversion is underway.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #32

Now that the different parts of the electrical system have been established, the first thing to do is calculate the number of batteries needed to support the daily energy use. Here a lot of time goes into researching all appliances that will ultimately be installed. Adding up their amperage use, will yield our daily ‘electric bill’.

More on cargovanconversion.com
Old 07-09-2012, 06:19 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAU MAU View Post
Why don't you live near me so you can make me a cabinet? Nice work!
that's just the thing about RVing and I'm new (well sorta)

the Nation is your backyard

that aspect I already get...

@OP, nice work
lostmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:24 AM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
CAbinet looks great!

Dan
Old 07-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #35

After upgrading to off-grid power and power storage, this post elaborates on the available power generating tools for a small RV. The electrical calculations are comprised into a detailed schematic overview, that serves as the basis for the installation.

Follow me at cargovanconversion.com

Old 07-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #36

The introduction to off-grid power (upgrading to off-grid power, power storage and power generation) is concluded with a post about monitoring and maintenance. With all this knowledge we can finally begin with the wiring.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:52 AM   #37

While working on the multi-use cabinet, I started with some of the wiring. Before I can continue building new cabinets, the majority of the electrical wiring has to be installed.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:34 AM   #38

Continuing with the wiring of the van, gives me the opportunity to search for and order some of the materials, needed in the coming weeks. My list currently consists of wire connectors, heat shrink, 12V outlets and power inlet. I still haven’t found decent and affordable 12V LED light fixtures either.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #39

Another post on wiring of the van. Two heavier wire gauges will support the appliances to be installed on the driver’s side.

Follow my progress at cargovanconversion.com
Old 09-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #40

Having batteries, doesn’t automatically mean access to 12V. Thus, two access points are planned in the van. One 12V socket is located at the solar components (controller, charger, inverter, etc.) compartment, under the bed.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #41

Cargo Van Conversion | Battery Monitor Comparison

We’re now at a point in the cargo van conversion where decisions have to be made about battery monitors and solar controllers. The latter is not urgent, as the solar panels won’t be installed before next year, but they have to be incorporated in the overall decision. This phased-in approach will allow battery monitoring, while charging from an outside source. It allows for short trips with added comfort and a chance to test and evaluate the electrical system.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #42

Cargo Van Conversion | 12V Cooling Fan

The compartment under the bed that will hold the charger, controller, inverter, etc. is a small enclosure and needs some form of cooling. I choose a 5” computer fan with thermal control, that automatically adjusts its speed as the temperature rises. Other considerations were low noise level (<18dB), high airflow volume (up to 42cfm) and low current (<0.2A).