Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2023, 08:29 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ford 350 Transit van with 3.2L diesel

My wife is wanting to get a high top type van to outfit for going to dog shows.

She currently has her eyes set on a this van, which overall looks pretty good. https://www.carmax.com/car/23868770

It has the 3.2L diesel which is actually a Duratorq made by Puma, usually used overseas.

I've done some research and found this article https://yourmotorguide.com/ford-rang...gine-problems/

Does anyone have any info on Pro's and Con's of this engine. Only thing that scares me is the oil pump issue, if you let the oil drain too long during a service and the oil pump looses prime you could be buying an engine soon afterwards.

Any way to tell if oil pressure is a problem, not sure if there is a proportional gauge on this or just an idiot light.
If I go look at it I'll take my code reader and see if there are any codes but I wouldn't be able to tell if there is an old code.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2023, 10:32 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Well, I see I've had some views but no comments.

Spent a couple hours doing more research.
  1. Based on VIN I found on the Ford website it still has 3 out standing recalls (even though the NHSTA says it doesn't have any). It also has a power/engine warranty till June 2019 so that's good.
  2. Ford only used this engine from 2014 till 2019, it seems there wasn't a high demand for a diesel Transit van.
  3. This engine is used in Europe and Africa.
  4. Since the engine isn't produced or used in new vehicles in USA parts may be an issue but haven't got into it enough to know if it would be an issue. Since Ford offered this in their vehicles I believe they are obligated to have parts for 10 years but that doesn't mean you won't have to wait for them.
So for now the jury is still out, my wife is actually going to look at it this weekend on her way to a baby shower.

If we do make an offer it will be contingent on getting the recalls fixed and at minimum oil pressure check and possibly and inspection at a qualified shop, where ever that may be.
Old 03-29-2023, 01:22 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
So I posted to another forum and a knowledgable member responded with this.

"
Walk Away…. Run if you can!!!
i worked on them when they came out, reason is only ford can do major service ONLY FORD! Cause EVERYTHING needs a special tool, ford quit using them cause all the techs and dealerships were bitching so bad cause the time factors were thru the roof. You will notice there is no doghouse to remove to accec the back of the engine, well the engine mfg put the EGR cooler right in the very back of the engine, almost IMPOSSABLE to change, plus im sure the parts availability will be $$$$$ due to they dropped the engine family. Sorry didnt respond sooner, i was having issues opening the website…🙀runnnnnn!"

So we aren't going to even consider the vehicle.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
So I posted to another forum and a knowledgable member responded with this.
" Walk Away…. Run if you can!!!
i worked on them when they came out, reason is only ford can do major service ONLY FORD! Cause EVERYTHING needs a special tool, ford quit using them cause all the techs and dealerships were bitching so bad cause the time factors were thru the roof. You will notice there is no doghouse to remove to accec the back of the engine, well the engine mfg put the EGR cooler right in the very back of the engine, almost IMPOSSABLE to change, plus im sure the parts availability will be $$$$$ due to they dropped the engine family. Sorry didnt respond sooner, i was having issues opening the website…🙀runnnnnn!"

So we aren't going to even consider the vehicle.
You got good advice. Those diesel Transits were real lemons. Ford started to bring out their 2.0L 4-cylinder diesel in 2020 Transits, but cancelled the plan before they built any in USA.
https://fordauthority.com/2020/11/fo...ket-exclusive/

It appears Ford will stick with the V-6 gasoline Eco-Boost engine. If you want a diesel van you'll have to get a Sprinter.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 10:18 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, any info I can get on any type of cargo/transit van is helpful as we are still in the looking stage.

Do you know if the current EcoBoost engine is reliable, I thought I read earlier years had problems so I'm trying to pin point which years to stay away from.

Same with any engine in a Sprinter van or Ram van.

Wife is stopping to look at a Chevy Conversion van today, it is not the extended model so I'd be concerned on space as she needs room for X-large dog crates! But this van does have the Chevy 6L vortec which I believe is pretty dependable.
Old 03-31-2023, 02:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
. . . Do you know if the current EcoBoost engine is reliable, I thought I read earlier years had problems so I'm trying to pin point which years to stay away from.

Same with any engine in a Sprinter van or Ram van. . .
The Ford V-6 Eco-Boost engine is in a lot of vehicles like F150 pickups. I've heard of some issues, but no more than any other gasoline engine.

Sprinters and Promasters have their own unique engine issues, but nothing like the Ford Transit 3.2L diesel.

The Chevy 6L Vortec does have a good reputation for reliability

Good luck in your search
Old 04-09-2023, 03:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Sprinters and Promasters have their own unique engine issues, but nothing like the Ford Transit 3.2L diesel.
The Sprinter diesel should have its oil changed by a Mercedes dealer.
jsfarnrsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 05:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfarnrsw View Post
The Sprinter diesel should have its oil changed by a Mercedes dealer.
Why?

Tags
diesel, ford