Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2017, 09:20 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Propane--cause that's what I got!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2017, 09:26 AM   #16

I've had both and Coach I have now is diesel. You will go through a Ton of propane.
Coach #10984
apatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:51 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
He went through 3 bottles of propane on the first day and night, and had to go get more. He went through three more bottles, being careful to not use much, before the end of our trip.
That's exactly why I wouldn't have a propane generator unless I had too. The only reason to have propane is because you don't have a fuel cell, like most 5th wheels. I'm guessing the choice on many diesel class B's having a propane genny is mostly cost driven.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:38 PM   #18

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The Era has a propane generator. Damned noisy, no smell and sometimes has issues.

The Ambassador has a water cooled 8 KW diesel generator. Very quiet, minimal odor, very reliable.

And no experience with air-cooled diesel but bet they are noisy.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:23 AM   #19

My choice would be none of the above - no generator at all. We went with a lithium battery bank, solar, a large alternator, and a 2,000 watt inverter. The only thing we can't run with that set-up is the coach a/c for any length of time, and if it's so hot that we *need* coach a/c, then we figure we shouldn't be traveling to that location at that time of year anyway. We are going to yank the original propane generator off our Class B and sell it as a used unit as soon as we can find the time.

Of course, it all depends on lifestyle. My husband and I want a remote wilderness experience where it would be foolish to run a generator - what's the point of being in the wilderness if one is going to generate so much noise that the ambiance is indistinguishable from Wallydocking adjacent to an interstate highway? But if someone has a different travel objective and/or is involved in special activities, maybe they need a generator.
Interblog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:36 AM   #20

But you do drive a somewhat noisy, definitely-polluting internal combustion vehicle into the wilderness to get that generator-free experience. It's all relative.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:24 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropFan View Post
But you do drive a somewhat noisy, definitely-polluting internal combustion vehicle into the wilderness to get that generator-free experience. It's all relative.
But that's equally true of everyone who has a rig of any kind, so in the relative analysis, that part cancels out. The difference is that I then turn my rig off and leave it off for long periods of time.

Because we boondock almost exclusively, we sometimes end up in the same locations as equestrian people, who are legendary for running their generators. Those rigs belch noise and combustion products all day long, and half the time I can't even figure out why. Even when air conditioning is not needed, they are still running. It's a total game-changer (for the worst) on the outdoor experience.
Interblog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:50 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good To Go View Post
Looking at a LTV B plus, they have the option for the generator with diesel or propane.

I think the diesel would be the way to go since the vehicle is diesel.

Any thoughts about the differences?

Thanks,
Steve
I had a propane generator on our first coach. Technically it was fine. But having to ensure propane on board was a downside. Especially if dry camping in cold weather and having to use the furnace, as then propane is depleted just that much quicker. Go same fuel as propulsion engine, IMHO.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:24 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I had a propane generator on our first coach. Technically it was fine. But having to ensure propane on board was a downside. Especially if dry camping in cold weather and having to use the furnace, as then propane is depleted just that much quicker. Go same fuel as propulsion engine, IMHO.
I would under most circumstances agree. My 75 gallon gas coach tank and my 150 diesel coach tank were ideal. But that's not what you get with the Sprinter, the chassis tank is only 26 gallons. That small tank does not go very far after your commute averaging 15-19 MPG. The propane furnace draw and burners does not burn much propane, there's over 90K BTU's in one gallon, that a lot of heat! But let say you travel just 200 miles leaving you around 14 gallons of diesel left. How comfortable are you burning into that before refilling the diesel tank? We are talking about small B's & C's...
Old 06-02-2017, 02:47 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardy View Post
I would under most circumstances agree. My 75 gallon gas coach tank and my 150 diesel coach tank were ideal. But that's not what you get with the Sprinter, the chassis tank is only 26 gallons. That small tank does not go very far after your commute averaging 15-19 MPG. The propane furnace draw and burners does not burn much propane, there's over 90K BTU's in one gallon, that a lot of heat! But let say you travel just 200 miles leaving you around 14 gallons of diesel left. How comfortable are you burning into that before refilling the diesel tank? We are talking about small B's & C's...
Wonder if Titan or somebody makes a larger OEM replacement tank for the Sprinter. I had a 67 gallon Titan tank installed on my F350. Diesel is more available and easier than getting propane filled.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, generator, propane