Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2016, 10:47 AM   #1

Guido & Becky's 2015 Winnebago ERA 70C

Picked up our new 2015 Winnebago ERA 70C last week. Flew up to Springfield, MO to pick it up and drove home back to Texas.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160411_101212c.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	124364

Name:	20160411_101236c.jpg
Views:	845
Size:	355.5 KB
ID:	124365

Name:	20160411_130408c.jpg
Views:	754
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	124366

Name:	20160412_114453c.jpg
Views:	827
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	124367

Name:	12994289_10209471887660491_8814584164803276618_n.jpg
Views:	746
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	124368

Thanks to TexasSprinter and a few other threads for helping in our research before we purchased.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2016, 11:18 AM   #2

The ride and drive was very comfortable and quiet. I averaged ~18.7-19 MPG (according to the trip computer, verified hand calculation)

First stop was Bass Pro Shops world HQ (which according to the magazine in my hotel room) gets 4 million visitors a year, twice that of the St Louis Gateway Arch! I didn't have too much time to browse, I had to get on the road.

Name:	20160411_143708.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	124369

Welcome center in OK

Name:	20160411_172839.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	124370

Rest stop somewhere along the way...

Name:	20160412_114453c.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	124371

Ironically, stopped at Cabela's in Buda TX, too

Name:	20160412_133241.jpg
Views:	692
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	124372

A few notes, the 70C is not designed for large people. The slide limits how far back the driver's seat can slide. I'm only 5'8" so I had no issues, the seat was very adjustable and comfortable. Just one night so far on the fold out bed, but it was quite comfortable (really easy to deploy/unfold). I was worried about the seams, but the padded sections catch you just where they need to weather you are a back/side/stomach sleeper. We will add a mattress pad of some sort, I am sure. Again, not designed for large people, is a hair smaller than your average full size bed (a little narrower than a queen).

We debated the 70A (larger bed/smaller wet bath) vs 70C (Smaller bed/full dry bath, larger kitchen) for some time and ultimately the 70C won out. With the slide out, for daily use, the "living room" feels like a much larger RV.

We will take some weekend trips soon for real shakedown run.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:34 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Spartan Chassis
Nice looking van. I have a Travato G with the corner wet bath. Spacious for a van, but still a wet bath. If I was looking for a Sprinter right now, the 70C would be among the top two or three. Those dry baths in vans are great, especially on longer vacations when a wet bath becomes a bit of a chore. And you've got great storage space in the van. Nice choice. Hope you enjoy it.
Dahai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:03 AM   #4
jww

Congratulations on the new toy!!!!
We purchased the "lot mate" to your 70C back in January. Identical units other than yours having graphics.
The 70C is fulfilling our needs very well. Hope yours does the same!
This is not meant as a negative, more so informative.......check the tire codes on your unit, just for future reference. PM me if you have any questions.
Johnny
Old 04-19-2016, 02:03 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Congratulations on your new Winnie ERA. Thanks for all he pics, nice looking!

Good luck with it and Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:47 AM   #6

We also have a Winnebago C and we love it, put over 8500 miles on last summer as we live in northern Michigan can really only camp/travel in the summer months. However we are on our way to Texas to maybe become a winter Texan in the near future.
talaskim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:56 AM   #7

Me Too...

We bought a 70C here in Texas, the first one we had ever seen. Very few issues and we love driving it. Here are a few things to watch for:
1) The little door where the water hook-up is? Always check that it is closed before moving the slide in. Otherwise the slide trim will crack it right down the middle. Fortunately, the dealer did it on their lot, so they paid to have it fixed!
2) That sliding bathroom door? The track will let go at some point, as it is a very heavy door and the track has very small screws. And you can't get tools back in there to fix it. Our dealer fixed it the best they could, then I added a 2" caster to the bottom of the door only at the far passenger side of the door. So the caster carries the weight at that end - not the track - and yet the caster never rolls out over the visible flooring. Contact me for details if you want.
3) If you don't use the awning very often, it will stick when you go to put it out. No biggie, just reach up and grab the aluminum cover all pull straight out. I put lubricant on the little flange edge at the top and that helps.

We love the unit - so easy to deal with and you can boogie down the road at good speed. We added a Wallie World foam topper for the bed that is exactly the right size, and carry it rolled in a trash bag in the shower when moving. Amazed at how much stuff it carries. I bought a few of the rubber maid hooks that fit the track and hang a folding table and two rocking chairs from them, and still have room back there for a patio mat, a grill, all the hoses and electrics, and two sets of golf clubs!

Oh yeah, carry both a 30/20 and a 50/30 electric adapter. There are a lot of parks that are going to all 50A only.

Enjoy.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:58 AM   #8

Texas 70C owners

Sounds like we are getting a group of Texas or Texas traveling 70C owners. We're in hill country outside San Antonio.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:29 PM   #9

Sounds like we need a Texas Sprinter Round up in the future. :sombrero:

Did our inaugural trip/shakedown run in the 70C this weekend to Port Aransas, TX

Thanks for the tips, I will keep an eye on water service door and the propane door.

The pocket door was already broken when I did the walk thru. It's been repaired, so we shall see how,long that lasts. I love the pocket door, but I think I will follow your lead on the caster to prevent further problems.
GuidoLyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:26 PM   #10

Pocket Door

It took me a while puzzling out how to do it, but remarkably little time to actually install it. There is a cheap little trim piece that hides the track. You can work the staples out with a putty knife on the bathroom side. From there you can see the whole mechanism and release the door from the wheels. Careful, it is VERY heavy. Measure the bottom gap first, so you know what size caster & shim. Mine was a 2" caster with a 1/4" shim. As you'll see, you can adjust the door hang from the top. Slick hardware.

I had to grind down the "ears" on the caster and drill new mounting holes, as the caster was too wide for the pocket. But I think if you measured first (duh) you could probably find a caster that fit without the grinding.

Good luck. What part of Texas?

Niel Powers
Hill Country Texan
Old 04-29-2016, 08:01 PM   #11

Niel,

We are in Corpus Christi. Let me know if you are coming down this way.

Our inaugural RV trip was a great success. The weather was nice, spent some time at the beach, did a little fishing (no catching, unfortunately )

Still sorting out where to put things and figuring out how things work. It was nice to have cold AC, a fridge, gas stove, microwave/convection oven, and an outdoor grill...probably the most luxurious "camping" I've ever done.

Aside from the slideout and full dry bath, one of the big reasons we went for the 70C was the larger water tank capacity (45g fresh, 22g black/25g grey) and the Alde hydronic water heater/heating system.

It worked great on shore power (it does a lot of hot water quickly), but it does not seem to work on propane I get an error message "fan failure" and the water does not get hot when not connected to shore power.

I downloaded the full manual from Alde USA, and tried resetting it a few times, but it looks like I will be making my first trip in for warranty work. Oh... and the damn pocket door! The inner/passenger side roller came off the pocket door, I think the screws are too short The dealership fixed the driver's side roller already. It's better to get the bugs worked out now close to home, than out on the road.

Despite a few hiccups, it was still a successful trip

Name:	13062511_10209546860494765_4428947534900300321_n.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	125617

Name:	13083083_1603670116623566_504690016278511306_n.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	125620

Should have brought another chair...

Name:	20160423_165938a.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	125618
Old 07-27-2016, 08:50 AM   #12

Well.

We dropped our 70C off at the local Winnebago authorized service center Ron Hoover on 24 MAY 2016 for service. I called in April after our first trip and had to wait three weeks for an "appointment" to even drop it off. Turns out, my appointment wasn't an appointment at all. I had to call every week for an update. I even stopped by in person twice to inquire as to the status. It sat there at Ron Hoover RV for a month before they even rolled it in to diagnose.

After 6 weeks, I finally got my first call from the service manager. Just waiting on the fan motor for the Alde water heater....

I got my second call this morning...uh well, we got the fan in, but the combustion chamber has water in it which is not covered by Alde (improper winterization) We are going to check back with Winnebago now to see what to do...

Well, since I've only owned it 3 months and it's been in the shop 2 of those months, all at temps well above freezing...

Sounds like the dealership in Springfield MO didn't winterize it properly. So...I get to wait awhile longer...
Old 07-27-2016, 08:59 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoLyons View Post
Well.

We dropped our 70C off at the local Winnebago authorized service center Ron Hoover on 24 MAY 2016 for service. I called in April after our first trip and had to wait three weeks for an "appointment" to even drop it off. Turns out, my appointment wasn't an appointment at all. I had to call every week for an update. I even stopped by in person twice to inquire as to the status. It sat there at Ron Hoover RV for a month before they even rolled it in to diagnose.

After 6 weeks, I finally got my first call from the service manager. Just waiting on the fan motor for the Alde water heater....

I got my second call this morning...uh well, we got the fan in, but the combustion chamber has water in it which is not covered by Alde (improper winterization) We are going to check back with Winnebago now to see what to do...

Well, since I've only owned it 3 months and it's been in the shop 2 of those months, all at temps well above freezing...

Sounds like the dealership in Springfield MO didn't winterize it properly. So...I get to wait awhile longer...
That stinks, sorry to hear that. Cool looking unit though!
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:51 AM   #14

This is an interesting thread about the Era 70C. It will be great once things are in order. It amazes me how totally unorganized dealerships can be. I will only use the word "unorganized". Nice looking unit though! Congratulations to the users on this thread who owns one.
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
70a, 70c, 70x, era, winnebago