Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2020, 05:04 PM   #1

HELP! MB Winnie ERA70a Cab Overhead Light Stays On

I have a 2018 M-B Winnebago ERA 70A and the cab overhead light stays on. It's down for the winter, and we have it plugged in (15amp) to keep the batteries up.

We pulled into the driveway this evening and noticed the cab overhead light was on (not dome light). I tried to turn it off and nothing I tried works unless I turn off the coach battery switch which kills everything in the coach (not plugged in) when I hook up shore power (15 amp) the light comes back on. I tried the Master Light switch didn't work either.

I have even disconnected the battery connection by the accelerator pedal no effect.

Anyone else experience this issue, or have any ideas what the next step is?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2020, 07:35 PM   #2

I have the 2017 cab chassis, which has an overhead lighting area just behind the upper edge of the top of the windshield. If that's the one you mean, and it has 2 lights called the "interior lights" in the manual, you may have invoked the automatic lighting system. It's described on or near page 85 in the OM.
Other than that, maybe something is telling the lighting system that a door is open? Even if that's the case, I think the system (is supposed to) shut the light off after 20 minutes.
Old 12-25-2020, 07:12 PM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion but my Sprinter has a Winnebago coach "ClassB" and this light issue is part of the coach (house). You were on the right track though so I tried the theory on the coach.

I started the the engine (light always on), then went to the house control panel and and checked the status of the overhead cab light, the panel indicates that the light as off. So I tapped the screen and the panel showed the light on, then we drove it around a bit. When we got back to the driveway we went to the panel and tapped the screen to turn off the overhead cab light and it went out.

Weirdest thing I ever saw, there are two off/on switches, one is an actual switch the other is a selection on the digital panel. Both indicated the light was off even when the light was on. I guess it lost it's mind for a bit and this "sync'd" it again is my guess.

Anyways, issue resolved....thanks!
Old 12-25-2020, 07:24 PM   #4

My 2017 cab chassis is (should be according to MB) the same as the van cab, from just behind the seats forward. Mi casa es tu casa? However, I was unaware that Winnebago added another way of controlling your lighting.
Glad you found your answer.
Old 12-26-2020, 05:31 PM   #5

Yeah, there is a set of manual/physical switches on the galley cabinet, then the digital control panel in the middle of the coach. They work together.
Old 12-27-2020, 04:03 AM   #6

And both the cabinet mounted switches and the panel are simply the two user interfaces for the controlling computer which (in my Era A) is under the driver side bed by the bathroom wall. There is another display on the controller that lets you operate many things in the coach. You have to be on your knees to use it but nice to have to if the display panel dies.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
And both the cabinet mounted switches and the panel are simply the two user interfaces for the controlling computer which (in my Era A) is under the driver side bed by the bathroom wall. There is another display on the controller that lets you operate many things in the coach. You have to be on your knees to use it but nice to have to if the display panel dies.

Well that is interesting, we have the same rig according to your signature and I don't know where this lower control panel is located, or I just haven't seen it yet. I have a fuse panel near the rear bathroom wall practically on the floor. My "control panel" which is a touch screen digital display is at eye level to the right of the galley sink, and and the push button switches are at waste level to the left of the galley on the cabinet. Sorry if I am being a bit dense and I apparently don't know my rig very well yet.

Anyways, it was weird how the switches, both sets, were out of sync with the actual light.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:57 AM   #8

Assuming the fuse panel is behind a removable cover it sounds like the same setup I have. On the fuse panel you should see a small LCD display and next to it some arrows that you can use scroll through various menus. Mounted on the back of the fuse panel is the computer that manages everything you see on the big display and there are feeds from the water pump, lights, generator, etc. and a feed out to the display. I learned all of this when Winnebago walked be through their diagnostic routine before they would ship me a new display to install. The diagnostic phone call took an hour, changing the display 5 minutes.

Tags
light