Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2020, 05:10 PM   #57

I worked for rug doctor for twelve years they used the sprinter with the Mercedes diesel for several years. they rarely got 100,000. miles out of the engines. they promised rug doctor 400,000 when they bought them but they did not hold up at all.
jetero591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2020, 05:50 PM   #58

Been driving and buying vehicles since 1967. My new Sprinter was the
worst vehicle I ever owned.

I purchased that vehicle TWICE. Once was the purchase of the vehicle, the second was the purchase of all the service problems.

The first was all the diesel related issues which were numerous. The Injectors, the door hinges ( NEVER HAVE I HAD PROBLEMS WITH DOOR HINGES), the sliding door, transmission leak, alternator belts breaking 3 times in 100 miles (bent idler arm from the factory ) ( had to wait for three months for a belt )
AC went out at 50K, the roof leaked ( please tell me again about Mercedes workmanship) EGR valve, the cap on the washer bottle just kep disintegrating into dust had to purchase a dozen of them just to keep around.

Just like buying a boat. The two best days of owning the Mercedes was the day I purchased it and the day I sold it.

I had two other vehicles purchased around the same time neither one was ever back to the dealer after purchasing.

I will never EVER set foot on a Mercedes dealership ever again.
kendall69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:12 PM   #59

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
About 150,000 miles and still running good. We replaced the glow plugs, and controller last summer (a bad plug fried the controller...) but other than routine maintenance that is all it needs.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:18 PM   #60

I have the 3.0L twin-turbo, 2013 DEF Blutec diesel in a ML350 bought in 2018 with 42K. Now at 90+K. Have towed 4,000-5500 lbs for about 2000 miles and did have my trans serviced at 65K (too late). Trans has some clutch hesitation now, going to do a second service but the damage probably done. Engine runs freakin great. When not towing I do a LOT of interstate miles at average speed of over 70 mph (means 85-90 a lot of the time) so I do drive the piss out of it. I'm going to drive it into the ground, have heard they are known for intake, valve cover, exhaust manifold issues over 100K but only a few comments.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:46 PM   #61

I had a Merc 300D which I ran for 375,000 miles and only retired it because rust ate it. I've worked on diesel engines forever and in school and subsequent reading the designers tell you that in a properly designed engine (gas or diesel) there is NO metal to metal contact except possibly, briefly at start-up.
Follow the manufacturer's recommendations, do routine maintenance, pay attention to how your rig is performing and correct malfunctions immediately!
Over the road trucks routinely make a million miles with routine maintenance. Marine diesels have no difficulty running 10,000 hours with no major malfunctions.
Bob '14 Winnebago 37F Adventurer; Jeep Toad
bobfrommaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:36 AM   #62

2013 Sprinter with ~125K

Just got done with a trip to the shop to clear out all the codes and problems with my 2013 Sprinter. Just a little over 125,000 miles, and needed, basically, the entire DEF system replaced, cracked exhaust manifold, a couple of failed injectors, and a couple of other minor things, like an "A" service.

Total: Just under $3,000 USD.

I've driven Mercedes diesels most of my life. Our Class-A has one in the back (pre-DEF) and it's as reliable as an anvil. My old 240D and 300D sedans were the same.

But the opposite has been true, as well. My 300SD needed a short block replaced at just under 100K miles. The Sprinter has been a maintenance headache.

When I spoke to the mechanic this last trip, he mentioned that I was lucky; he'd seen few Sprinter diesels go as far as mine had without major emission work. Yeah, sure... $3K later I'm feeling tremendously "lucky."
simssj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 08:12 AM   #63

Mercedes Sprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWeiner View Post
Just wondering if any of you have 100,000 miles plus on your diesel engines?

Mercedes are known for building quality diesel engines and while there's been some problems with the emissions system, I understand the engine itself is pretty solid.

I have less than 49,000 on my 2011, so, I consider that to be pretty low mileage overall, but, I expect that many of you have a lot more especially if you have rigs that from the late 90s or early 2000s.

The Sprinter has been around for quite a while and before it was marketed as a Mercedes Benz it was sold as the Dodge Sprinter and the Freightliner.
We are on our third Sprinter based RV a 2019 Tiffin Wayfarer. Between all of them we have close to 150K and not a single engine problem. The last one, a 2013 Leisure Travel Unity, had 70K when we sold it and had absolutely no problems. In addition we have had great service at our local MB dealer!
RogueRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 08:51 AM   #64

2016 Sprinter / 57K

I bought a View with 2600 miles and have been to Alaska and Canada and planned a trip to Nova Scotia this year. (May still try)

I have 57K and all is great.

Changing out the fuel filter every 25K is expensive, but I can do it myself now.

Tranny and engine are really strong.

Hope to get another 50K before I move on.
mike Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:26 AM   #65

Glad you are OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rost View Post
Just had a dimp truck "t bone" my 2013 sprinter with 3.0 it had 410,000 and was still going strong. Was a great van, and it's tank like construction let me walk away with some bruises.
YES, I've heard that Sprinters are extremely strong, see this picture of one hit head on... and in both cases, you and these other people walked away unhurt.

As per the 400,000 miles, I absolutely agree, I met someone who had a Sprinter from Canada with over 800,000 kilometers... that's 500,000 miles.

I'm glad that the structure is that strong and there's air bags up front for protection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sprinter collision.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	282908  
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:26 AM   #66

We have an 06 Roadtrek non-DEF 5 cylinder MB diesel. Only 70,000 miles. Runs great, use synthetic oil.
moonmanvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:32 AM   #67

Agree with you 💯 percent....

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmanvt View Post
We have an 06 Roadtrek non-DEF 5 cylinder MB diesel. Only 70,000 miles. Runs great, use synthetic oil.
Synthetic oil, manufacturer recommendations.

I've never seen any evidence of oil consumption, but, I have 49,000 miles.

How about you? Have you ever seen any evidence at your mileage and age?
Old 04-26-2020, 05:37 PM   #68

I have a 2008 Sprinter with 250,000 miles. Still going strong. We installed the Green Diesel Engineering tune which has helped.
JimmyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 12:08 AM   #69

Green Diesel ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyE View Post
I have a 2008 Sprinter with 250,000 miles. Still going strong. We installed the Green Diesel Engineering tune which has helped.

Please explain what the Green Diesel Engineering tune up?

Do you mean a similar situation to DEF???

I see that you have a "Pre-DEF model.

Did you do this to pass smog check???
Old 04-28-2020, 05:40 AM   #70

We don't have smog checks in SC. Green Diesel Engineering re-tunes your computer to bypass some of the emissions and gives you more power and better mileage. I've heard some California folks say they still pass the test, but I can't be sure. Google them and give them a call.
JimmyE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel