Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2020, 12:12 PM   #15

Pink antifreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Being that you own a 2012 rig I doubt it is the polybutylene piping, I don't it is even manufactured any more. Not sure what kind of pipe that is.

Did you wait until there were freezing temps to add the pink antifreeze? Did you completely purge of water before adding the pink antifreeze?

Although PEX pipe can withstand some lower temperatures it is still possible for it freeze in break.

You might check all the fittings to make sure that isn't your problem.
I added a couple of gallons when we were in the east on the road.... so, it was a mixture of water and the antifreeze... my freshwater tank is only 27 gallons.... and no I didn't purge all the water, I was traveling on the road....

Seems kinda unlikely that this would manifest more than 24 months later.... and the temperatures were around 31 degrees and we had the heat on inside the coach.... I added it as some extra precaution....

This is the first time I've ever seen any evidence of a water leak more than two years after....

When we got back home, I drained and refilled the tank with water and had no problems at all.....

I'm going to find out what is going on... I see that you don't think these are the polybutylene piping.... this mystery will be solved..
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2020, 12:54 PM   #16
Dom

Where is the second pic from? Under the MH? Also what color is the tubing? The second pick looks like it could be white tubing with something gray (undercoating) covering it as I can see what looks like scraping on it to reveal white underneath
Old 01-12-2020, 01:16 PM   #17

It's a 2012 RS Adventurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
You haven't identified your RV type, but since you posted in the Class B forum, I assume it's a class B. That being said, you probably have a relatively small amount of plumbing but I think it would be wise to get a confirmation as to what type of pipe you do have. If it proves to be polybutylene, then move ahead with replacement by PEX.

Really, access to plumbing is the major issue, but new connectors and fittings can add up. It is your decision if it will be worth it to completely re-plumb, however.
A friend of mine just told me that small rodents like to nibble on PEX and polybutylene lines.... and apparently they love PEX..

Always something.....
Old 01-12-2020, 01:28 PM   #18

It's under the RV just in front of the right rear wheels on the passenger side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
Where is the second pic from? Under the MH? Also what color is the tubing? The second pick looks like it could be white tubing with something gray (undercoating) covering it as I can see what looks like scraping on it to reveal white underneath

There's a couple of water lines going into the coach. And, I followed them inside to where the water pump is...

Unfortunately, the leak is coming from the lowest point on the line in the middle of the loop, so, it's definitely not a connection point.... Probably the entire line will have to be replaced... Think of this like a small rip in your radiator hose in the middle of the line....

And, because my RV is so low to the ground.... I cannot get under it and really don't want to....it really needs to be on a proper lift. It's extremely heavy with the dual wheels and tires in the back...

I'm not equipped to handle this.

As for a re-plumb, I only have a few connections, the two sinks, bathroom and kitchen, toilet, inside shower and outside shower.... Really don't know how much is necessary..... I'm going to have it looked at...

Right now, I've turned off the pump. We'll see.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:52 PM   #19

I have lots of Pex
Ive never seen nor heard of rodents nibbling through.
My 99 motorhome has never had a broken fitting nor a issue with the lines .
My 2000 boat the same. No broken fittings, no issues with Pex.
I have neighbors with boats built by a competitor.
They used cheap fittings.
They have had to replace all of them over the past twenty years.

Regardless, no varment damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWeiner View Post
A friend of mine just told me that small rodents like to nibble on PEX and polybutylene lines.... and apparently they love PEX..

Always something.....
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 02:32 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
It just looks like flexible plastic tubing with Flair-It fittings, like most used.
Pretty easy stuff to work with. Take a sample to any RV parts house or shop Amazon. You can cut out the cracked section and use straight splice connectors in a pinch. I carry a bunch of spare connectors and about 10' of tubing just in case.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 04:33 PM   #21
Dom

If you have to cut any out, then you can tell if its Pex. Pex is double walled, Poly-b is single walled
Old 01-12-2020, 08:10 PM   #22

When was pex introduced and polybutylene discontinued? I'm asking as I have a leak in the line between my freshwater tank and the pump (at the moment I can't use the water system in my MH).

If it helps any my Fleetwood MH has a VIN that says 1985 model, but the paperwork says it was made in October of 1984... the plumbing is grey tubing.

I'd love to talk with someone that knows the details of the plumbing from that era of Fleetwood Southwind... if they are in the southern california area so much the better...

Mike
Old 01-12-2020, 10:26 PM   #23

I found this online....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
When was pex introduced and polybutylene discontinued? I'm asking as I have a leak in the line between my freshwater tank and the pump (at the moment I can't use the water system in my MH).

If it helps any my Fleetwood MH has a VIN that says 1985 model, but the paperwork says it was made in October of 1984... the plumbing is grey tubing.

I'd love to talk with someone that knows the details of the plumbing from that era of Fleetwood Southwind... if they are in the southern california area so much the better...

Mike
Mike, I really don't know what's in my RV... but, I will find out... I found this online,

Polybutylene piping is not banned on a national level, but neither is it available. It does, however, still exist in many homes built between 1975 and 1996.

The fact that my RV is a 2012 model built July 2011 probably means that it's not polybutylene.... maybe it just looks like it is....

Again, I'm planning on taking my RV to the shop ASAP...

Link that may be of interest;

https://www.robinsplumbing.com/plumb...tylene-piping/
Old 01-13-2020, 10:00 AM   #24
Dom

As far as I know, Poly-b was banned for new home construction. Where we live in the mid 90s I don't think anyone would use it after they found out it leaks as they could be sued. I doubt its Poly-b
Old 01-13-2020, 05:21 PM   #25

New development

May not be the outside water lines at all.

I discovered today that the water was coming from the base of the water pump; loose connection, and dripping down through a hole where the flex lines go to the rest of the plumbing.

I completely or mostly drained the fresh water and turned off the pump 😁😁😁, voila, the leak stopped and the external water lines are completely dry. In fact, I ran all the water down the two sinks and toilet and there was no evidence of any drops on the two exterior hoses...if it were going to drip water it should have shown up with this procedure.

So, what I thought was going to be a really big deal with a complete replacement of exterior hose lines will probably only be the replacement of the crimp or maybe one line on the water pump....

This is very good news 👍.

Still don't know if I have PEX lines or something else, but, if they are not leaking there's no reason to replace them.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:36 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
If you have to cut any out, then you can tell if its Pex. Pex is double walled, Poly-b is single walled
Never heard of double wall pex

PEX is either red, blue or white, and is single wall.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:38 PM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWeiner View Post
There's a couple of water lines going into the coach. And, I followed them inside to where the water pump is...

Unfortunately, the leak is coming from the lowest point on the line in the middle of the loop, so, it's definitely not a connection point.... Probably the entire line will have to be replaced... Think of this like a small rip in your radiator hose in the middle of the line....

And, because my RV is so low to the ground.... I cannot get under it and really don't want to....it really needs to be on a proper lift. It's extremely heavy with the dual wheels and tires in the back...

I'm not equipped to handle this.

As for a re-plumb, I only have a few connections, the two sinks, bathroom and kitchen, toilet, inside shower and outside shower.... Really don't know how much is necessary..... I'm going to have it looked at...

Right now, I've turned off the pump. We'll see.

Often the leak will follow the line down and only drip off at the lowest point of the loop. It is still possible you just have a loose fitting. Don't get too far into replacing it until you know where it is coming from for sure. You can drain the whole system and then put a couple gallons in the tank with some red food coloring to see where the leak starts. Wrap a few paper towels around the pipes where you can, may help point you to the leak.

On a side note, I looked up your profile and there is nothing there that would tell me what type of RV this is or what year or make so no way to tell you what materials they used on that RV in that time period. It would make helping you easier if you had it in your signature or at least in your profile.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:47 PM   #28

You learn something everyday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJLowell View Post
Check every fitting for snug tight.

Turn the pump off.
Open a faucet till it quits running.

Snug all the fitting s and clamps that you can see in the pump bay.

They can vibrate loose from the pump kicking on and off.

Dry the area thoroughly.

Anyway, snug down and turn the water on again.

Watch for dampness.

Many times its hard to see all the leakes, seaping.

If you have a small area of tubing leaking ?
You can easily splice in a new section.

Good luck
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, plumbing, replace