Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-19-2020, 09:37 PM   #57

I see a lot of misconceptions about plumbing pipe. Pex which is cross linked polyethylene comes in type A, B, oxygen barrier, pex-al-pex and various colors including red, blue, white, and orange. A is more flexible and a better grade, oxygen barrier is for hydronic systems to keep air out , pex-al-pex is also for hydronic systems to keep out oxygen and to hold its shape when installing it in curves in a floor. Not high pressure as stated. I have installed miles of these. My personal home has almost a mile in the floors, installed in a product called Warmboard.
Polybutylene was also used in underground water systems and was blue, lots of problems with the fittings and it kinked easy.
A lot of what I see in the pictures shown in this thread are reinforced vinyl hose. The variety Of pex and polybutylene In RVs was a different and cheaper version than in houses. More like a hose than a pipe.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2020, 11:13 PM   #58

[QUOTE=maddczech;5116570]Splicing pep is a pita. Consider the location.
Peg uses crimps for connecting, or shark bites(more expensive slip ins).
My 1995 I thought had pex but was a gray rigid pipe with different o.d. And different size crimps. Welcome to rv engineers!/QUOTE]

I say again, Home Depot has adapters that make splicing the old grey stuff and PEX easy (see previous post).

I have always replaced the plumbing in our RVs that needed it, but only what needed to be replaced. Perhaps over time the old will fail, but that hasn't been a problem yet.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:38 AM   #59
lbs

Pex Color

If you replace your existing piping with Pex, remember to use the red color for hot water and blue color for cold water.
lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:02 AM   #60

From your pictures; that's not PEX and it's not polybutylene the gray pipe. Although I do see a polybutalyne fitting on the left side of the pump but no pipe attached so don't know what you are showing.
If your leak was from the white tubing that kinda shows a crack, then what you have is nothing more that a high pressure type tubing, kinda like what you have going to your toilet in your house.
My definitive advice is to scrap the antifreeze methodology and drain and blow out the lines. I would only use the antifreeze in the drain plumbing (p-traps, etc.). Important not to forget to drain your fresh water tank and run the water pump so as to get ALL of the water out of the supply line (take that from personal experience ;-( )
Old 01-20-2020, 10:34 AM   #61

All the apex pipe I have seen is labeled as per.
My home is 100% pex pipe and builders all see it as a lifetime product.
You no longer see cooper tubing in new home construction.
Boomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:24 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Just an FYI, if it's lines going to the water pump you really don't want Pex. What you want is food grade vinyl. The reason for that is that it will insulate the lines from vibration. It makes a really big difference. I just re-did my water lines by the pump and replaced the PEX with vinyl. The pump is now nearly silent and very hard to hear from inside. You can still use Pex - just leave yourself a few inches to go to vinyl for both sides of the pump. This also makes future pump replacement much easier as the vinyl flexes much easier then the Pex which is semi-rigid.
Absolutely correct. The crimp clamps are still being used by manufacturers. My Arctic Fox 2018 has both PEX style compression fittings as well as some crimp type ring fittings...which I hate by the way!!!
Old 01-20-2020, 12:26 PM   #63

Not meaning to hi-jack but has anyone experimented with Shark Bite fittings??? Just curious!?
Old 01-20-2020, 02:30 PM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Mike,

My previous RV was a 1984 Fleetwood Bounder on a Chevrolet chassis. It had all polybutylene plumbing. We did not have water leak problems but we knew, from the polybutylene plumbing in a previous house, that this type of plumbing product would be a disaster in waiting. We, however, replaced the RV with another used 2003 RV that has all PEX tubing installed.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:33 PM   #65

Water pumps work to keep the lines full of water at all times. Your leak is like turning on the faucet, no matter how little leaks at some point the pump will come on.
The pump may just cycle enough to fill the voided water and shut off. If your leak/leaks lose enough water pressure your pump may run continuously probably causing an early pump failure.

PEX has a good reputation. I agree with TwinBoats Do you think it could have frozen?

Good Luck
FryDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:30 PM   #66
Dom

I'm getting a headache.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:39 PM   #67

FWIW -- I was in a Poulsbo RV parts house today and saw fittings listed as compatible with both PEX and Butyl. I didn't examine them, I just read the sign.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:37 AM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryqster View Post
Not meaning to hi-jack but has anyone experimented with Shark Bite fittings??? Just curious!?
When I was remodeling the bathrooms in my S&B house I used a few sharkbite fittings as temporary connections until I had time to re-route and make permanent PEX runs. Out of just a handful that I used, one of them leaked. When you read the fine print on these things the pipe end prep is critical. In the real world, you don't always get perfectly controlled conditions of access, pipe condition or careful preparation that these things require. Strike two is that these things rely on an o-ring seal and while o-rings work great, they don't last forever. After enough time and exposure to chemicals in the water they'll deform, get stiff, degrade, and will ultimately stop sealing. I recall these fittings are warranted for 30 years and even if they lasted that long, what happens then? You're going to tear out walls and cabinets to replace them? Or better yet, discover where they are by the water damage and make a warranty claim for a six dollar fitting? Contrasted to a sweated copper, or PEX expansion connection that has no expiration. In an RV application, are these things up to flexing and vibration year after year? No thank you, I fortunately learned the easy way that these things are not for permanent installations. They're very handy for temporary jobs and quick fixes but I would NEVER put one in somewhere I couldn't access it. Those in the trades I'm sure could point out the error of my ways but if their application and use is so critical that someone like myself that's quite meticulous about everything I do can't get it right, then it's certainly not something I would trust to consumer use and especially not in a mobile environment.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:58 AM   #69

Sorry if this is repetitive -

Pex will last forever - is used in home construction all the time - Shark Bite also work forever and are great when used with Pex - also are a smart thing to have in the RV for that emergency repair.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=pex&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=shark+bit...b_sb_ss_i_1_10

Cheaper option has served me well in the home building business and always carry these in the RV - https://www.amazon.com/s?k=procuru+f...f=nb_sb_noss_1

I keep a couple pieces of Red - Blue - Clear to use in the RV for that just OS moment.

That should cover it,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:08 AM   #70

As some posters have said, polybutylene is the gray stuff that was used extensively in the 70's and 80's for mobile homes, trailers, stick built homes and RV's. It was found that these pipes hardened and then cracked when exposed to the chlorine used to purify drinking water. There was a nation-wide recall on the material due to a class action suit. The recall required the polybutylene be replaced with PVC or other plumbing pipe. My folks had bought a new mobile home to use on our farm when they were in Delaware for the summer and a group of people showed up to replace all polybutylene lines with PVC. The folks never had any leaks, but were on non-chlorinated farm well water for the entire time they owned the mobile home. I watched this team replace all the plumbing lines in the mobile home. Just prior to that, I used a piece of polybutylene to replace a plumbing line in an old farm house (circa 1835) I was remodeling that was subject to freezing. Polybutylene could withstand multiple freezing/thawing cycles. This was in 1980. That piece of polybutylene has been in service for 40 years and has never given us a bit of problem, but it has also never been exposed to chlorinated water as we still use our private farm wells.

Hope this clears up some questions on the gray polybutylene.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, plumbing, replace