Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2020, 03:56 PM   #43

I’m still going at 77, I was still driving an 18 wheeler at 68 only reason I quit was because of all the B.S. It really is a matter of personal health, mental health, confidence in your ability to handle your rig safely. That is the real deciding factor, when you know you’ve lost your ability to safely handle the rig, whether you experience several aw shoots or a couple of big aw sh.ts. It may be hard to admit you can’t SAFELY handle it anymore. That’s when you hang up the keys.
Grandpa5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2020, 04:05 PM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
You just can't put a number on it.

The answer is that you stop driving an RV when you are no longer physically or mentally up to that task. Some people could never drive an RV. I see drivers all the time who would probably get one a block or two before having an accident; they stink even at driving cars. Other people drive RVs in their eighties and are still competent.

That's like asking how young is too young to drive one. I was 16 the first time I drove a motorhome (legal at the time, no provisional driver's licenses then), under the supervision of my father. It was a family vacation and I had my license, so I took a spot in the rotation at times. For some people, that would be way too young.

I'm 57, and by the time I'm too old to drive a car, that's not likely to even be an issue; in 20 years, most or all cars will be fully self-driving and probably won't even have steering wheels. By then, self-driving motorhomes may also be a reality, although they will also likely be out of my budget when I'm that far into retirement.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:09 PM   #45

The best answer here is when you begin making mistakes. Be honest with yourself and when this happens, get out from behind the wheel.
RBTALLMAN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:32 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWeiner View Post
I don't know, maybe the average age of this group is in their 60 or 70s?

What's too old to be driving a motorhome?

Everyone is in a little different situation and it's not a hard and fast rule, but at some point you're going to realize that handling even a Class B, let alone a really big rig, that it's time to say goodbye....

What do you think???
Average age does not count in this situation.
Each persons capabilities are different and each person has to determine when to hang up the keys. Not an easy thing to do.
One must consider their physical ability, as well as their mental ability.
Most importantly, be honest with yourself. Don't let your ego guide you.
Don't wait to get behind the wheel of the MH. If things are getting fuzzy driving your car, than take a hard look at your ability to drive a MH.
Treker Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:37 PM   #47

AARP course

I took the AARP senior driving course. We learned two interesting facts. Older adults do have fewer accidents, but when they do they have the highest likelihood of fatalities.
505scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:57 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm in my 80's and each time I get behind the wheelof my class A or any vehicle I assess my self. The first time I feel any doubt I'll turn in my license. It's a choice that we all should take very seriously, age is not the limiting factor.
James Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:26 PM   #49

I thing chronologically speaking a number it’s just that a number some 20, 30 years olds can’t drive worth a crap I see them on road, but as my dad used to say “A men needs to know his limitations” so you have a physical every year, ( you should) your Doc says you are in good health, still pass your eye test ( also once a year) I say drive anything you want, just remember your reflection are much slower as you age, so does age matter? No I don’t think so.

Zzotte
Old 01-09-2020, 05:30 PM   #50

Texas Boomers Club
Near 80 years old for me. Last year we downsized from a 40 ft dp to a super C. Hope to go another 10 years, as long as I am in good health.
Glensouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:46 PM   #51

I bought a 42 ft last year. I was 65. Because I've been driving large vehicles since I was a teenager, I'm quite adept at it. That being said, my estimate that generally speaking, by the time I'm 75, it's probably time to stop driving that large a rig. I may be able to continue, primarily because I've been doing it my whole life, but your reflexes and sense of judgement decrease with age. When I find I'm having close calls or minor collisions, I'll sell and do something else.
Maineiac54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:48 PM   #52

I am days away from 82 and still feel very comfortable driving my 35' Safari. When I start feeling uncomfortable driving it or have health problems I will stop driving. I have met several people in their late 80's still driving.
deanlshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:57 PM   #53

Old

I have a friend that is 91 and drives a class A. He just downsized from a 40’ bus to 34’ gas. He still gets on top a washes the roof.
pinesisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:01 PM   #54

Country Coach Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
How old is too old?

Well, the answer was perfect for the question!

At what age should a person give up his or her job? When is a person to old to be president, ask Joe Biden or Michael Bloomberg and you will probably get a totally contrary answer than you would get from a forty something year old voter.

So, to answer your question there is no correct answer, I have 70 year old friends who I will not ride with due to their lack of good driving habits sometimes downright dangerous and apt to get themselves in a serious accident yet I have another friend who just turned 90 and I have no problem being a passenger when he is driving. He is also an active member of the Coast Guard auxiliary where he goes out on the water doing safety inspections of recreational boats. He drives 200 miles round trip every other week to get to his assignment. I know many big rig Rv drivers in their 80s who drive from coast to coast in 40 foot diesel pushers without incident. I am fairly certain they will know when it’s time to downsize to a Class C! [emoji6]

Ray

81 year old 40 ft DP Pilot

Quote:
That's a very glib answer to to a very serious question..

.. I don't appreciate it.

These Class B RVs are seriously big vehicles and while I'm fine right now, there may come a time when I can no longer do it....

I can see from your answer that you're probably very young.... maybe I'm wrong....

All I can say is, if you are not safe driving for any reason, age, physical problems, or mental health, you should NOT be behind the wheel.....
Old 01-09-2020, 07:02 PM   #55

I'm 74 driver. Motor home and I drive no more tha 250 miles per day and never over 65 mph.
Hope that TO OLD never comes.
Nomonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:31 PM   #56

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
I don't know, maybe the average age of this group is in their 60 or 70s?

What's too old to be driving a motorhome?
I'm a wood turner, and the question often comes up as to what speed one should turn?

The answer from a seasoned pro turner was "If the lathe is not shaking, and you're not shaking, you are good to go" !!!

Kind of a good answer here, glib or otherwise.
kcfissel is offline   Reply With Quote