Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2020, 09:39 AM   #1

I may have found my first RV?

What am I missing? General comments?

2008 Pleasure Way Excel TS
40,000 miles on the F-350 V10 6.8L engine
Asking price $55,000.

From the pictures it appears to be in excellent condition. A long road trip next week for an inspection will confirm.

My insurance agent qouted $450 annually. That price is less then my truck!

Storage will be a concrete pad beside my house garage.

Primarily use will be three or four, 600 mile trips per year to see the grandkids. Use as a spare bedroom during the visits.

Secondary use will be for 2 or 3 local trips to town a month. I will be selling my truck. Perhaps a trip out west to visit family. Once a month a long weekend trip. Might get used more when the wife joins me in retirement.

With the current Stockmarket the $55,000 will not be a problem. The main problem is me wrapping my mind around spending that kind of money for a "toy".

I'm a technical orientated type and general handyman so I will taken care of maintenance and repairs other then the chassis.

What am I missing?
WantAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2020, 09:11 PM   #2

Are you OK with the price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantAB View Post

Asking price $55,000.

From the pictures it appears to be in excellent condition. A long road trip next week for an inspection will confirm.

Primarily use will be three or four, 600 mile trips per year to see the grandkids. Use as a spare bedroom during the visits.

Secondary use will be for 2 or 3 local trips to town a month. I will be selling my truck. Perhaps a trip out west to visit family. Once a month a long weekend trip. Might get used more when the wife joins me in retirement.

With the current Stockmarket the $55,000 will not be a problem. The main problem is me wrapping my mind around spending that kind of money for a "toy".

I'm a technical orientated type and general handyman so I will taken care of maintenance and repairs other then the chassis.

What am I missing?
Price seems higher than I would have thought... but, it's all about condition.... and options.... they are very nice RVs....

If this sells for $55,000... I will be very excited about the value of my RV....

Good luck.
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:01 PM   #3

MW,

I figure $45k to $50k
WantAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:50 PM   #4

You can buy a very nice early 2000’s Diesel Pusher for 40-55k and it will depreciate slower. I gave 44k for mine. Drive a gasser then drive a DP before you buy.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantAB View Post

Asking price $55,000.

What am I missing?
Price seems a bit high:

https://www.rvtrader.com/2008-Pleasu...ar=2008%3A2008

Seriously, you can buy a brand new Class C for that price.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:54 PM   #6

Class B's are more expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Price seems a bit high:

https://www.rvtrader.com/2008-Pleasu...ar=2008%3A2008

Seriously, you can buy a brand new Class C for that price.
Depends on what Class C....but, Class B's are more expensive for the size...

Pleasure Way is a premium brand, but, I think it might be priced higher than normal....

Also, Class B's don't depreciate as quickly as a Class C....in my opinion
Old 02-15-2020, 02:20 AM   #7

It seems most of the responses so far are with respect to the price.
I can comment on the Pleasure Way brand and in my opinion they are built and designed very well.
There is no comparison between the Excel TS and a diesel pusher. I used to have a 40 ft diesel and I have driven the Excel in a test drive.
We now have a Pleasure Way Lexor. These B-Class coaches are really in a class of their own. Definitely not for some but perfect for others.
We liked the wide body of the Excel and all it's features which are basically the same as our Lexor except we have the standard ProMaster chassis.
The main reason we like the "B" is for is size and versatility. We can drive and park almost anywhere and still be able to live comfortably inside if we go on a long road trip.
Make sure you check out any used RV carefully and get an inspection if you feel uncertain.
The only other comment I have on the Excel is some owners have reported having some steering issues when freeway driving. I did not notice this on the one we drove but make sure you take it on the freeway to test.
Good luck in your search.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:28 AM   #8

Wide body on PW Excel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topman View Post
It seems most of the responses so far are with respect to the price.
I can comment on the Pleasure Way brand and in my opinion they are built and designed very well.
There is no comparison between the Excel TS and a diesel pusher. I used to have a 40 ft diesel and I have driven the Excel in a test drive.
We now have a Pleasure Way Lexor. These B-Class coaches are really in a class of their own. Definitely not for some but perfect for others.
We liked the wide body of the Excel and all it's features which are basically the same as our Lexor except we have the standard ProMaster chassis.
The main reason we like the "B" is for is size and versatility. We can drive and park almost anywhere and still be able to live comfortably inside if we go on a long road trip.
Make sure you check out any used RV carefully and get an inspection if you feel uncertain.
The only other comment I have on the Excel is some owners have reported having some steering issues when freeway driving. I did not notice this on the one we drove but make sure you take it on the freeway to test.
Good luck in your search.
Do you know if the PW Excel wide body is a true Class B? Or, did they have to modify the original "van" from Ford to make that extra width?

Or is it leaning towards a B+.... without the extra bunk?

Hmm, steering issues? I know that the Dodge Ram's had that problem, I wasn't aware of anything like this on the Ford?

I noticed that it's probably similar to the Roadtrek Popular series like the 190 and 210.

I've never been inside a PW Excel so I don't know if you have to "duck your head" when you enter inside the coach.

Just curious.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:34 PM   #9

Pleasure Way Excel

FYI;

I discovered today that the Pleasure Way Excel is built on a cutaway Ford E350 or Transit chassis and the older 2007-2008 models are 87 inches wide. This is a Class B plus RV.

It's fine, but, at least you know that you're not getting an unaltered can that came from the factory.

It's definitely a modification of the original vehicle... and construction of the rear section is fiberglass.

It's just not going to be as aerodynamic as a true Class B.
The extra inside space is nice.