Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2021, 04:12 PM   #1

I see “MB Sprinter chassis problems” what are they?

We r looking for a B. I thought we wanted a diesel. What are these so called problem?
Thank you
rhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2021, 04:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhart View Post
We r looking for a B. I thought we wanted a diesel. What are these so called problem?
Thank you
All the diesel engine manufacturers have had issues relating to the post 2010 emissions reductions mandates. MB is no exception. The NOX sensors have been a particularly weak spot. As you approach more current models, the issues seem to get minimized.

Another factor in customer dissatisfaction with diesels is the Diesel Exhaust Fuel (DEF) requirement. Earlier versions may or may not have a customer-friendly DEF refueling process. My 2013 Sprinter computer tells me when to replace the DEF, but I have to be very careful when doing so since there is no way to easily tell that the tank is full until it overflows. DEF evaporates to a crystalline mess rather quickly. Again, later models have made improvements.

A third factor is the relative imbalance between dealers capable of performing routine service on a gas engine v/s dealers capable of servicing a diesel engine. That goes broadly for all diesel vehicles ... but toss into the equation a fully loaded, tall, heavy RV, and the service-capable dealer universe gets smaller again.

All that being said, I am very happy with my diesel-based Sprinter RV. I did have big issues with the emissions system that was replaced under warranty. I have 119k miles on my RV and I think I'm only about 1/3 of the way through the engine lifespan.
Old 09-14-2021, 04:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Thank you
Early on in the life cycle of diesels as base vans for class B builds, there were few problems. Roadtrek, Leisure Travel, and Pleasure Way all adopted the Sprinters as their newest and bestest models around 2005-2006. Then, in 2010, the ULSD and SCR/DPF/DEF regulations tightened and that added some complexity to the pre/post exhaust system hardware on vans with diesel engines. From 2010 to around 2016 there were some problems as the newer technology evolved. NOX sensors, as mentioned, and clogged DPF filters, DEF issues, all reared their ugly heads.
Today's versions (post-2016) are much better bedded in with the SCR requirements, and you're more likely to have wheel speed sensor problems than exhaust issues.
There are just as many places that can't service a Ford based gasser, as there are MB places that can't service a Sprinter. It's an issue on both sides of the gas/diesel fence. Many dealerships won't touch a motorhome, no matter what's under the hood, which is really the problem. Ford also makes a small diesel engine, that may be in some of the Transit based motorhomes, although I think the newer ones (post 2018?) come with the gas V6 Ecoboost engines.
As a prior poster mentioned, I've had no major problems with my 2017 cab chassis, I absolutely would not go back to gas, and just last week had the power steering return hose clamp, and the rear wheel speed sensor replacement recalls done at my MB dealer, without so much as a discouraging word spoken. Do your homework on the service situation, if it bothers you, and the rest of it will take care of itself. The diesels will give you a longer service life, better fuel economy, and a more comfortable environment inside and out. In my opinion, of course.
Old 09-14-2021, 04:42 PM   #4

Nice post. Thank you
Old 09-14-2021, 04:44 PM   #5

You are most welcome, my friend.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:21 PM   #6

Two great posts thanks to you both. Back to Sprinter it is, I'll just make sure to get 2019 or newer.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:33 PM   #7

FWIW due to the all the early DPF issues MB has issued a widespread recall on 2010-2016 Sprinters under which all the expensive SCR bits (catalyst, sensors, etc.) are replaced and the emissions warranty extended. This should provide some protection for buyers of 2010 and later vehicles. Sprinters prior to 2010 have no SCR (DEF) system.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Two great posts thanks to you both. Back to Sprinter it is, I'll just make sure to get 2019 or newer.
I would suggest anything after 2016 should be bullet proof, SCR/DEF wise, but smiller's comment about extended warranties after the fixes for 2010-2016 issues should also be OK now, too. The choice is yours.
You might check the NHTSA database for recalls on NCV3 versus VS30 model chassis, if that matters. I've seen a few recalls for the newer chassis over the last 2 years.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes47 View Post
My 2013 Sprinter computer tells me when to replace the DEF, but I have to be very careful when doing so since there is no way to easily tell that the tank is full until it overflows. DEF evaporates to a crystalline mess rather quickly. Again, later models have made improvements.
It's also very corrosive. I wait until the tank is a little below 1/2 full on the dash gauge, at which point it will hold the contents of a standard 2-1/2 gallon DEF jug with no risk of spillage.

BUT, I also have a garden hose with me when I fill it, and any drips get hosed off as soon as the jug is empty. There almost always are a few drips from the flex nozzle to jug connection, but it's easily washed away.

Quote:
Back to Sprinter it is, I'll just make sure to get 2019 or newer.
If you want the next-gen Sprinter, make sure the van itself is a 2019, not the conversion. My van is a 2017 Sprinter, but it's a 2018 Galleria. There is obviously a time delay between the manufacturing of the van or cab/chassis, and when the upfitter finishes the build. The differences are obvious at a glance in the driver's compartment, but very subtle on the outside. Also different model numbers, as mine is an NCV3 (2006-2018), whereas you're looking for a VS30 (2019-). (oops - too slow)
Old 10-04-2021, 08:04 AM   #10

Nice concept, but I spoke to a man that had one. Maintenance is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ .
Special oil-$20 per quart. Oil filters $100. Nah!
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstakun View Post
Maybe that's at the dealer, with labor, but the most expensive oil filter I could find at Advance Auto is $16 (most are around $10), and the oil is $7/qt. There are Sprinter oil change 'kits' with filter and 14 qts of synthetic for around $145 for Mobil 1. Again, no labor of course. I haven't verified that these kits or 5 qt jugs meet M-B's requirements ('European' 5W-30 synth), though.

I'm certainly not denying that M-Bs are expensive, but they're diesels. All diesels are costly to maintain compared to gas engines.

Edit: The web page says the oil is M-B approved, MB229.52 spec.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...6421800009kt7/
Old 10-04-2021, 08:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstakun View Post
Nonsense.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, ems, problem, problems, sprinter, sprinter chassis