Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2018, 03:03 PM   #57

Grand Tour, this sounds interesting for van modifiers, if you can get to Scottsdale in March.
https://www.thefitrv.com/blog/1st-an...youre-invited/
Harrysait is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2018, 05:23 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Me too..
Trying to license & insure here in Oregon with a "home built" RV will have some extensive hoops to jump thru.
1) "Assembled/altered/converted" vehicle title.(similar to what Marathon & other licensed "Bus/shell" converters have to tend with.)

2)Required to have RVIA certification sticker or you will not get licensing or insurance as a RV..UNLESS you retain the work van title and keep your mouth shut..

3) without the required RVIA sticker you will have a very difficult time trying to sell (as an RV) or even trade it in (as an RV) on an other vehicle..
I talked to the dealer, who said that if I pay cash for the vehicle, they'll just give me the MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin) and a bill of sale, and I can go fill out the DMV paperwork however I want.

I talked to the DMV in Oregon specifically within the context of building our own motorhome out of a cargo van. They said they do not do any vehicle inspections, nor do they require any vehicle inspections, and they also mentioned nothing about needing a RIVA sticker. The per-year registration fees are about the same either way, so I don't think they care one way or the other.

My only interest in registering as a motor home, would be for any potential savings on insurance premiums.
Grand Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:27 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarata View Post
I wonder how this story will end
It ends the same for all of us.

It is the journey that varies. So far, our journey has been amazing.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:33 PM   #60

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grand tour View Post
it ends the same for all of us.
okie dokie fine..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:09 PM   #61

I didn't read everything but I few things caught my eye.

If your marriage survives the part before you actually get on the road.... you know the part where your wife wants to have a say in how she lives and you don't care because you are going to do things your way. It will be longer than 6 mos. to complete. Be realistic.

And if it survives the part where you expect your wife to pee in a tube? I saw your comment on how you are going to deal with going to the bathroom. Absolutely no mention of consideration for your wife. Hopefully she is a very rustic woman and has mastered peeing using one of those female stand up urinal things and doesn't mind going off into the woods on the side of the road. I have a friend that got a ticket for peeing on the side of the road. I used to be very rustic. I lived in a tent on the snake river for 3 months. There was a toilet that was a hole in the ground. Washed up in the river. In my old age no way would I even consider doing that again.

You mentioned not staying in parks. Are you going to stay in hotels? We walcamped a few nights ago and had to pee 2x in the middle of the night. There is no way in hell I am trekking across the parking lot at 2am and I CC my SIG in states that allow. Peeing while on the road traveling while inconvenient to have to stop someplace with a bathroom 2x in a 4 hr drive it isn't impossible especially in a class B.

At the very least get a porta potty and figure out how to dump it legally when its full. I don't recommend the larger ones, we had one on our boat and it was a PITA to carry off to dump.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:38 PM   #62

I mentioned the porta-potty in my very first post.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:04 PM   #63

The Letizi solar ac costs $2950 with panels, $1650 without, fob Honolulu! It is also a heat pump.

Here is another from Vt.

Heat Recovery Water Heaters & Pool Heaters | Solar Air Conditioners | Water Heating & Pool Heating From AC | Small Air To Water Heat Pumps
Harrysait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:14 AM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
I didn't read everything but I few things caught my eye. .....
You should have. You would have been able to give better advice.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:46 AM   #65

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The naysayers know nothing about you and your wife. Just because they and I wouldn't want to do this project or live full time as you have described doesn't mean anything.

We each have our own drummer to follow. Good luck, have fun, don't make the bear (as in Smokey) mad while peeing in the woods!

Show us some pix as you progress.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:24 AM   #66

Have met some folks that did not have a shower in their RV and didn't stay in RV parks. Unusual "fragrance" to say the least.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:03 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
Have met some folks that did not have a shower in their RV and didn't stay in RV parks. Unusual "fragrance" to say the least.
We're planning a full stand-up shower with hot water heater.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:08 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
The naysayers know nothing about you and your wife. Just because they and I wouldn't want to do this project or live full time as you have described doesn't mean anything.

We each have our own drummer to follow. Good luck, have fun, don't make the bear (as in Smokey) mad while peeing in the woods!

Show us some pix as you progress.
Thanks. We've spent our whole marriage doing things that people thought we couldn't do.

It'll probably be several months before any pics. We haven't even picked a retirement date yet (although we're working up some numbers on December 1 at this point), and the Mercedes dealers still doesn't have much information on ordering the new Sprinter.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:14 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
I didn't read everything but I few things caught my eye.
I would encourage you to read it. It probably would have saved you a bunch of typing.

Quote:
If your marriage survives the part before you actually get on the road.... you know the part where your wife wants to have a say in how she lives and you don't care because you are going to do things your way. It will be longer than 6 mos. to complete. Be realistic.
It was her idea.

Quote:
And if it survives the part where you expect your wife to pee in a tube? I saw your comment on how you are going to deal with going to the bathroom. Absolutely no mention of consideration for your wife. Hopefully she is a very rustic woman and has mastered peeing using one of those female stand up urinal things and doesn't mind going off into the woods on the side of the road. I have a friend that got a ticket for peeing on the side of the road. I used to be very rustic. I lived in a tent on the snake river for 3 months. There was a toilet that was a hole in the ground. Washed up in the river. In my old age no way would I even consider doing that again.

You mentioned not staying in parks. Are you going to stay in hotels? We walcamped a few nights ago and had to pee 2x in the middle of the night. There is no way in hell I am trekking across the parking lot at 2am and I CC my SIG in states that allow. Peeing while on the road traveling while inconvenient to have to stop someplace with a bathroom 2x in a 4 hr drive it isn't impossible especially in a class B.

At the very least get a porta potty and figure out how to dump it legally when its full. I don't recommend the larger ones, we had one on our boat and it was a PITA to carry off to dump.
My very first post mentioned having a porta-potty.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:30 AM   #70

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
My wife and I had a Ford Econoline that we used for quick camping trips when traveling across country. When it was hot we used a fan and screened window to ventilate the truck. When it was cold we used an electric heater, wired to outside power. The biggest problem we encountered was getting fresh air to the inside as it quickly became stale and made it hard to breath. I am asthmatic and would wake up choking and have to sit near an open window to recover. Insulation was only effective if you could convert hot, or cold, ambient air into fresh air for your inside environment.

Our last attempt at cooling was to use one of those A/C units that only have a exhaust tube connected to an outside window. You might not need 15K BTU when 8K BTU could do the job and can be located inside the cabin.

And we used a porta potty.

We traded up to a toy hauler and then onto a MB sprinter class C.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote