Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2022, 12:05 PM   #1

Inverter/Charger Storage Question

The new Tellaro has a Mastervolt Combimaster 3000 watt 160A inverter/charger. It also has 2 100ah lithium batteries and 190 watts of solar charging. Not being that familiar with lithium batteries would like to know if leaving this plugged in all the time as I did with my class A without lithium batteries would cause any problems? My understanding is lithium batteries are better off not stored at full charge like non lithiums? Am wondering if the Combimaster is smart enough to know this and not store at 100% charge?

In the winter I live in a moderate environment and have preferred to not winterize using the "pink stuff" to make it easier to use in the cold weather months. I have always used space heaters in my previous class A to keep things from freezing and make it easier to travel. I realize also lithiums usually do not like to be charged below freezing but this is "supposedly" equipped with batteries that can be charged down to -4 degrees. I will need to confirm that but that is what they advertise.
robertj1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2022, 12:16 PM   #2

All brands/models of Inverter/chargers draw some current in standby mode. Some brands more than others, but all of them are significant enough to draw down your batteries if left in standby mode for a long time. It can draw as much as 2 amps. So, if you left that one in standby for 24 hours, it would drain almost 50 amphrs from your battery. For this reason, I store my battery at 60% and disconnect the inverter/charger. Of course, if you’re connected to shore power, or have 200w of solar, it won’t matter.
Old 06-20-2022, 12:57 PM   #3

Unlike Lead acid, LiFePo4 Lithium batteries last longer when stored at 50-70% state of charge vs 100%, though this is not critical, and storing at 100% will shorten their life, but likely not drastically
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 01:08 PM   #4

Your MasterVolt inverter/charger is not smart enough to know that you are storing the batteries and to stop charging at 50-70%. But I don't think that storing at 100% will significantly affect the battery's life and have seen no data supporting this.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Your MasterVolt inverter/charger is not smart enough to know that you are storing the batteries and to stop charging at 50-70%. But I don't think that storing at 100% will significantly affect the battery's life and have seen no data supporting this.

David
Ok. That is good to know and thanks to all that replied. It is much simpler in my case just to keep it plugged in as I already have a pad set up with 50 amp service that of course I can use an adaptor for. Will probably just let the solar keep it charged during the summer months between 50-70% and plug in as temperatures drop.
robertj1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 04:13 PM   #6

Most of what's been posted is reasonable. I plug my Navion in, in winter, when the good sun days are fewer, and Let the panels keep the batteries up in summer. It's been that way since October 2019, and so far no ill effects. I've also got a PD9245 converter/charger and added a Charge Wizard Pendant to it, to let me manually boost the rate of charge (above 14V) once in a while, when it's plugged in. My Zamp ZS-30A Charge Controller has a LiFePO4 setting so that it will treat my 2 X 100Ah Relion RB-100LT batteries to that extra (14V+) charge boost, once in a while in good sun. I've also not seen much said about storing them at full charge or not. They also don't need to be fully recharged after use, only if dropped close to 0V SoC. So, I don't worry about it. It's all part of the "lithium mythium".

Tags
charger, inverter, storage