Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2017, 04:08 PM   #29
UAV

It is a scam.
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2017, 07:04 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejay View Post
A.Hicks I cant believe you weren't scammed. Sure, the bank cashed the check, but based on what ? They would come after you in a minute if the 'agent' bank account was suddenly withdrawn and closed. A company backed check is worth nothing.

In some states it is a crime to participate as a victim, you are wasting law enforcement time due to lack of due diligence.

All the posters recommending cash are also taking a huge risk. Ill bet one in ten of those result in a hold up, vehicle theft, or murder.
My local Bank of America cashed the check based on the fact it was written on a business account of one of THEIR OWN clients located in Miami, at another branch BOA. It likely took BOA 30 seconds to authenticate that check and confirm there were sufficient funds. There was no chance that check was fraudulent at that point. I just had to prove I was me! With both sides of the transaction authenticated, they had no choice but to cash the check.

Further, I do not have a bank account at BOA. Once they cashed that check, they had no recourse whatsoever. That was a big part of the plan MY bank (not BOA) and I came up with to make sure this was not a scam....

My bank received a cash deposit. Money safely in my bank account, I really didn't care what happened to the bike. At that point I told them to send their truck and come get it. I did ask that they give me the driver's name, and I did verify the right guy was loading up the bike.

If you are worried about a cash transaction for whatever reason, handle it in the parking lot of a local police station.

In this case, "due diligence" cold not describe what was done any better than exactly what was done....

My point here, is that there are ways of handling what seems like a scam, but just might not be. My advise would be to work with your bank.....
Old 12-13-2017, 07:48 AM   #31

When I have someone suggest a U.S. Postal Money order because they don't want to carry cash, I tell them: "I certainly understand you concern, so here's what we'll do. Have the Postal Money order made out to YOU, come and see the item on a day and time when the Post Office is open, verify it's what you want. Then we can both drive to the Post Office, you can cash the Money Order, and give me the cash! What could be easier? Most of the time I never hear from them again . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:33 AM   #32

The Post Office usually won't cash their money orders unless they have sufficient cash on hand, which many do not.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:17 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
The Post Office usually won't cash their money orders unless they have sufficient cash on hand, which many do not.
That's a good point. The one time I had a large money order to cash, I had the buyer send me a JPG of the money order HE would be cashing, went to the Post Office, explained what was happening, and my concerns. We made an appointment for a few days later to come in and cash it. They arranged for the cash to be on hand. I then drove to my bank 1/2 mile away and deposited it. Easy!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:19 AM   #34

as is

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubastevee View Post
Hi,

I just posted my RV for sale today and already have an interested potential buyer except, I live in Toronto and the person that is interested splits his time between Chicago and Hamilton (1 hour west of Toronto).

He wants to purchase it "as is" and register it in Illinois. I find this very unusual that someone would do this and purchase any RV "as is" simply based on the photos I posted. I responded that I would accept an offer but that the person needs to arrange to see the RV and take it for a test drive. Normally people want the vehicle "safety certified" with an emission test too.

I am suspecting some sort of scam going on but not sure. Any thoughts on this or advise?

Thanks,

Steve
I always buy my vehicles in an as is condition as I am a mechanic and can certify them myself, in addition declaring value for tax purposes can be lower as is. With regard to the not driving the vehicle it might be that the buyer thinks that it is good value for the price and pictures show what he is looking for. Take all precautions but don't dismiss it outright.
scottie409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:43 AM   #35

Hi @scottie409,

I dismissed this "offer" outright. Too many alarm bells ringing which prompted me to do this initial post in the first place.

I have done a cash deal in the past for an "as is" sale but the cash was transferred, in person, at my Bank and was immediately validated by the teller by running the money through a scanner. Once done, then I signed over the ownership. Huge difference from, I don't live in the same city as you, sometimes I don't even live in the same country as you, and I don't even need to see it, but I will pay your price.

Cheers,

Steve

To the MODs ... kill this thread, it's over. Thanks.
scubastevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:22 AM   #36

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a very common Scam that smells just like that "I want to buy it As IS" I'm not sure exasctly how it works, but somehow they are going to either get teh RV out of you in excange for a check made out of the highest quality RUBBER or they are going to get real money out o fyou in exchange for more fake documents.

Offer to hold it for say 2 or 3 days while they bring genuien CANADIAN Cash. odds are they don't have any fake Loonies on hand.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:32 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Wow
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:44 PM   #38

Cash is King ............... however that being said, in this day and age We had to prove to our own bank that the 27000 dollars cash was from the sale of our car and not "drugs".

Few years ago my wife grabbed a seller (85 years old) by the arm, we drove him to his bank in Hamilton, phoned our bank in Windsor (250 miles away) and had them transfer the money over the phone, then my wife let go of him (it was a good deal).

STEVE