Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2017, 07:50 PM   #1

Is this a scam??

Hi,

I just posted my RV for sale today and already have an interested potential buyer except, I live in Toronto and the person that is interested splits his time between Chicago and Hamilton (1 hour west of Toronto).

He wants to purchase it "as is" and register it in Illinois. I find this very unusual that someone would do this and purchase any RV "as is" simply based on the photos I posted. I responded that I would accept an offer but that the person needs to arrange to see the RV and take it for a test drive. Normally people want the vehicle "safety certified" with an emission test too.

I am suspecting some sort of scam going on but not sure. Any thoughts on this or advise?

Thanks,

Steve
scubastevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2017, 07:57 PM   #2

Better safe than sorry.

Make the buyer come to see it, and bring cash or meet at a bank for transfer.

No Western Union money orders, no "escrow" agencies.

On the barrel-head, in person, at a financial institution, or no deal.

You'll get some push-back, but stick to your guns.

Too many scam artists out there pouncing on the trusting.

Pop
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:59 PM   #3

Sounds like a scam. Many will try to pay with a Cashiers or Bank Check. It looks real but it's a forgery. Tell the person that you have no problem selling the coach as is provided he gives you cash. No wire transfers, no checks etc. If you decide to complete the transaction do it in a public place to avoid any problems.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:00 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe.

When I buy or sell an airplane, we go through an escrow service.
I've never used this one, but it sounds similar to the AOPA service I've used for planes in the past.

Buyer sends money to escrow, seller sends title to escrow, when funds are received and verified, escrow sends money to seller and title to buyer.

If sale is sight unseen, make sure this is stipulated in escrow contract. Also set a time limit for buyer to pick up the MH, After X days, storage fees of $100 per day will apply.

I'm curious how the potential buyer responds to this.

https://www.escrow.com/what-is-escrow
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:00 PM   #5

I wouldn't be concerned where he registers the RV. Just make it a cash only sale. Hard to say if it is a scam. It's a matter of "show me the money".
Old 06-18-2017, 08:06 PM   #6

Thanks for the responses ... I had an "unusual" sale back in the '90s on my Nissan Pathfinder.

In this one, the buyer only wanted to pay via cash and did not care about it being certified at all. We did the transaction at my Bank. He was an import/export broker and was buying North American Pathfinders to re-sell in China.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:08 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Cash is KING. Public space or several good friends in attendance (burley). Many are starting to exchange items in police parking lots.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:10 PM   #8

On the subject of escrows: There have been legitimate-sounding, though fraudulent, "escrow companies" set up specifically for scamming.

Who controls that company? Unless YOU pick the company, and the buyer pays their fees, how do you know the company is legitimate?

Beware.

Pop
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:13 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you accept cash, make sure its at your bank where the notes can be verified.

As mentioned, do NOT accept an escrow company thats proposed by the buyer. Real estate Escrow companies may be able to do this transaction also...
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
Sounds like a scam. Many will try to pay with a Cashiers or Bank Check. It looks real but it's a forgery. Tell the person that you have no problem selling the coach as is provided he gives you cash. No wire transfers, no checks etc. If you decide to complete the transaction do it in a public place to avoid any problems.
Is it a real problem now with fake cashiers checks, or a theoretical problem? My husband and I bought our rig that way, out of state. Brought one cashiers check apiece to the closing table, which was in a hotel continental breakfast room, not a bank (omitting details but the two checks were due to Texas community property laws) and the seller did not object. The seller was a flipper so he presumably knew the lay of the land. But that was almost 3 years ago so perhaps things have changed.
Interblog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:55 PM   #11

Hi,

note that the Canadian bills are much more difficult to counterfeit than in years gone by. So much so, that it's really not cost effective for the counterfeiters and the ones that have tried, it's very obvious they are fakes. US money, at the moment, is still easier for the counterfeiters.

Years ago, I worked for Canon and a presentation was done for various Canadian and American police services - that was when I found out that the Secret Service was also responsible for investigating counterfeiting ... I thought they only protected the current and former Presidents at the time. In those days, the ability to use a colour photocopier to replicate the Cdn $50.00 bill resulted in widespread counterfeiting and the adoption of the "plastic" bills with holograms used today. Now that the copiers are digital, if someone tries to copy either Canadian or American bills, it stores the image and locks the machine down so that it can't be used. Then there'd be a lot of explaining by the customer as to why this happened and a potential call to the Police.

Cashier cheques seem to be more prevalent than the alternative of using certified cheques - I would not release the RV until my Bank has cleared the cheque; I can wait the extra days to be 100% sure but ...

The person I was originally in contact disappeared when I requested that he see the RV in person. Maybe it was a scam, maybe he's busy, maybe he found another RV ... but if someone is truly interested, they don't give up.

Cheers,

Steve
Old 06-19-2017, 04:24 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I suggest you speak with you bank, and then make arrangement to do the transfer of funds via a wire transfer that can be confirmed while you are both there.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:28 PM   #13
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
It has the beginnings of a scam.

If PayPal and and an agent to pick up the RV are requested, it's definitely a scam.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:48 PM   #14

I say no checks...bank...etc PayPal or money orders.

I don't care if buyer sees it as long as description is truthful and spelled out in billof sale as described and as..is.
I've done wire transfer both ways purchase and sale...talked to the bank and they agreed safe to accept funds electronically via wure transfer and they can't be reversed unless US Govt gets involved and forces it.
Sold a toad based on pics and have $ in my acct...waiting for transporter.
A few yrs ago purchased a boat and we did wire transfer as I wasn't comfortable carrying cash while traveling to view it.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote