Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2018, 04:36 PM   #1

Keeping Batteries Charged in Storage

I'm about to take delivery on a 2006 Phoenix Cruiser 2350 after a lot of research and a lot of back and forth with the dealer that's located across the country.

One thing I've had mentioned to me at an RV storage lot is the advisability of having an electrical hook-up while the RV is parked there between trips.

How necessary is this? How long can an RV remained parked without an electrical hook-up and still have charged batteries?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
HJCihak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2018, 05:26 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
Our battery is maintained by out solar panel. It supplies an AG battery which with no drain can go months with out that charging.
What I am trying to illustrate is that, I know I do not have parasitic drains (cut off switch), a battery that can stand not having input for months at a time.
You will need to do your homework and find out how you systems work.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:39 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Best for non-powered outdoor storage is to enable all battery disconnects and have 100-200 watts of solar panels with a quality solar charger to maintain the batteries.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:07 PM   #4

Best way to learn is to park it disconnect and monitor batty V and amp draw w a clamp on meter.
Many disconnect switches for chassis and house battys have a bypass to keep critical components powered.
eg ECM on Chassis
If you disconnect battysy to eliminate those parasitic drains be sure to check whick to disconnect first.
Magnum inverters frequently require disconnect pos first or risk damage. Cummins reqs Neg first or risk damage to ECM.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:56 AM   #5

I have a 2016 PW Ascent with 2 li-ion coach batteries and the engine battery. The coach batteries have 2 disconnect switches; one to disconnect the batteries, and one to disconnect the solar panel from the batteries. The engine battery has one disconnect switch. For storage, instructions are to fully charge all the batteries and then disconnect them using all three switches. This has worked well for me and in the Spring, after 4 months or so of storage, I find that the batteries still have about 80 percent charge. The only deviation to this is that I connect the coach batteries to start the generator for a half hour once every month or so. In general, I suppose how well a given battery will do depends a lot on the quality and age of the battery, so, as others have suggested, it's probably best to check them every month or so until you see how well their doing. Good luck with your new RV!
Skip
Skip Steller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, storage