Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2020, 07:34 PM   #1

Looking at a Class B

Hello, I am new here and hoping for some help with Class B alternatives. We have been looking for a Van as we have a specific need we are trying to accommodate but I am having a difficult time finding models that would work for us. I have two children with special needs and it means we need to drive to various locations for medical reasons. I need a vehicle with a washroom and fridge at the very least and yet is small enough to fit into clinic parking lots (under 21 feet I believe)...which brought me to a class b option.

We need something that can seat 5 safely and sleep at least 4. We have more kids and more room would be great but I know we are limited to begin with and I may need to sleep in the passenger seat if I have to. We also feel the back Sofa bed is a must as sitting sideways will get our kids sick. Cost is another consideration of course but I haven't even got to that point. I'm not sure we can afford anything in the first place but I need to start somewhere. We are hopeful we can figure something out.

The closest thing I have found is the Winnebego Solis 59P with the Sofa bed. However, it has a Cassette toilet which I'm not sure I am prepared for. Are there other options similar to the Solis that I should look at that might fit our needs? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
John
cptcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2020, 05:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptcanuck View Post
... it has a Cassette toilet which I'm not sure I am prepared for.
I'm not sure I would rule out a possibility due to the cassette toilet. While they generally have a smaller holding tank, you do get the option of dumping anywhere you can find a toilet, plus there is no need to deal with rinsing and storing a dirty hose, gloves, etc. I'm pretty sure you will find that everything in a Class B is a trade-off.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:09 AM   #3

Hello John, we have a Coachmen Galleria and also have a special needs son. I would recommend a gas version of whatever you get. Take a look at Coachmen Beyond or couple years old Transit. You will have to improvise on the sleeping. 2 or 3 in back and 2 in front in bunk or hammock/sling type. Google and check out examples. They will fit in clinic parking with a little consideration. Good luck with your search.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
I'm not sure I would rule out a possibility due to the cassette toilet. While they generally have a smaller holding tank, you do get the option of dumping anywhere you can find a toilet, plus there is no need to deal with rinsing and storing a dirty hose, gloves, etc. I'm pretty sure you will find that everything in a Class B is a trade-off.

Yes, I will keep it on the list, I was just concerned about the frequent emptying with the typical 5 gallon cassette but it might have to be the tradeoff as you said
Old 09-29-2020, 09:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlander1 View Post
Hello John, we have a Coachmen Galleria and also have a special needs son. I would recommend a gas version of whatever you get. Take a look at Coachmen Beyond or couple years old Transit. You will have to improvise on the sleeping. 2 or 3 in back and 2 in front in bunk or hammock/sling type. Google and check out examples. They will fit in clinic parking with a little consideration. Good luck with your search.

Thank you. I never really thought of a hammock or options like that. I will do some research. Why would you recommend the gas version? I currently have a Ford Excursion which is Diesel..I know it's much more expensive to service...is that why you recommend the gas or are there other reasons?
Old 09-29-2020, 03:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptcanuck View Post
Thank you. I never really thought of a hammock or options like that. I will do some research. Why would you recommend the gas version? I currently have a Ford Excursion which is Diesel..I know it's much more expensive to service...is that why you recommend the gas or are there other reasons?

Yes, the up front and service costs are so much higher as you know. Not all Mercedes dealers are Sprinter service centers.We have had only a couple of recalls, no issues with chassis or house and I do like the 16.5mpg!!
Old 10-01-2020, 05:21 PM   #7

I was also wondering about the Hymer Aktiv 2.0 I know the company is no more but would finding a used Hymer be risky?
Old 10-07-2020, 11:03 PM   #8
arm

Send a message via Yahoo to arm
I would not have a problem with a used Hymer. It's on a Promaster chassis which you can get parts and service in Kamloops as well as all the appliances are same as in most of the class Bs. I've had several class Bs and have never has issues with most normal parts.
I have a Roadtrek versatile which seats 7 with belts and sleeps 4 with some effort for the front seats, but doable. Some times I wish I had a cassette toilet rather than have to find a dump station. Pros and cons to each.
Good luck with your search.

Tags
class b