Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-05-2021, 10:21 PM   #1

Low Mileage Value

How much value does low mileage add to a 2016 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour EXT? The coach has 5,700 miles. It's a one owner vehicle. An elderly person sold the vehicle to a dealer. The dealer's list price is $139,995.

Does extreme low mileage increase the value by 10% or more compared to comparable vehicle with 50,000 miles?

The AI is in excellent condition. I'm considering making an offer to purchase it.
Thank you.
Denver1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2021, 10:41 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I dont know about the value increase - I’m sure it counts for something and you could run it on KBB or NADA both ways and see.

But what it does is ensures that the previous owner didn't drive it enough to neglect any milage-based maintenance. Thats worth a lot to me - maybe 10%.

Unless you have verifiable maintenance records, which seem to be a rare item with used RVs, you have to assume that some maintenance could have been neglected in 50,000 miles. And thats enough milage to make a difference.

The other thing to take in to consideration is the post-covid RV price spike. Because of that our previous ideas about used vehicle values are no longer applicable.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 02:00 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver1985 View Post
How much value does low mileage add to a 2016 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour EXT? The coach has 5,700 miles. It's a one owner vehicle. An elderly person sold the vehicle to a dealer. The dealer's list price is $139,995.

Does extreme low mileage increase the value by 10% or more compared to comparable vehicle with 50,000 miles?

The AI is in excellent condition. I'm considering making an offer to purchase it.
Thank you.
If it is diesel, mileage is not a criteria in determining price. If it is gas, mileage is a criteria for determining the price.
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:24 AM   #4

I agree with R. Wold about maintenance issues being missed on higher mileage used vehicles.
I would also verify that any outstanding recalls have been done by running the VIN through the MB Recalls website. Some will say there will be some parts atrophy from laack of use, which may also be the case. Perishable items like tires, belts, hoses, and even fluids, should be checked.
If you browse prices for similar types, or exact type match on RVTrader, there are plenty there with higher mileage, and higher asking prices. If you can afford it, and it checks most of your boxes, go for it. Enjoy.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:33 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Low milage should also mean low use, but it doesn't always. So scrutinize the interior condition. Look for signs of wear that a good cleaning cant hide. Look at a brochure from the archives and see if the original bedding and other removable stuff is still there. Inspect the stove and fridge and ask yourself if they look more or less new.

It’s not likely, but it could have been lived in for five years by the “elderly couple’s” indigent offspring and their kids and dogs. Probably not, but check the condition of the upholstery, bed, and furniture for signs of wear, and look for signs of use in cabinets, under the sink, behind the toilet - anywhere that a typical dealer prep cleaning would miss.

Chances are this is a pristine unit with furniture in new condition. But check. Its less an issue with a Class B but I’ve seen some very lived-in “low milage” Class A units. Its a house as much as it is a vehicle. My current coach had 17k on it when I bought it in May 2020. It passed the “like new” test, but I looked closely to make sure.

Also understand (Im sure you do) that the current price spike is affecting prices and sources like KBB and NADA may not reflect the actual market. The same coach I bought 1 1/2 years ago, but with 30,000 more miles on it, is being offered for literally $83,000 more than I paid pre-covid RV craziness. And there are many examples like this.

So understand that part of the current price of a five year old coach is the sweeping demand curve forcing costs upward. That said, if you want one now, its worth what someone will pay for it, and I always go for low milage on something I plan to keep and use.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:12 PM   #6

How mucb is it worth to you

If you are looking for a travel vehicle then the low mileage may have value. If you intend to put on very few miles yourself, then it may not matter at all. If you are looking at resale value, then the general rule is mileage doesn't matter much for diesels and 5000 miles vs 25 or even 50 thousand miles is probably not going to make a big difference down the road.

As mentioned above, there are parts of any motor vehicle that deteriorate over time regardless of use - tires, belts etc. The same is true for RV components if they have sat for a long time unused.

That very low mileage over five years should raise the question of whether it was maintained or neglected. You certainly want to make sure the fluids are new. I would not assume that someone who never used the RV changed the oil regularly, much less replaced the DEF and other fluids. They may even have never drained the tanks or flushed the fresh water system. I am not sure what 6 years does to propane or to unused propane appliances.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:25 PM   #7

My Experience

In 2015 we bought our first RV - a 2007 class C on a Chevy chassis. It had 7000 miles on the odometer, the tires were age cracked but looked new (of course they were replaced asap), the jell coat was in bad shape too. But mechanically it was great, not a drop of oil or anything else ever leaked. It was problem free - not one repair. The interior looked like new. We sold it for what we paid for it when we upgraded to a class a in 2017. We had put 36,000 more miles on it. (We sold it because we needed more storage room and a better sleeping area due the high number of nights we were on the road for business.) Iím currently looking for a low mileage class b, I donít think low mileage is bad or a sign of potential problems. But if you do thatís fine, Iíll buy it!!
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 05:54 PM   #8

I just bought a low miles 2002 Roadtrek, 65K The service records showed regular maintainence till 2019 by the 1st owner. 2nd owner put few miles on and admitted he did very little.

Crawling around underneath I spotted a new oil pan. Why would a low mile RV have a new oil pan?? Condensation sits on top of the oil and rots the pan out allowing the oil to seep out of pinholes about halfway up the pan! Low mile units have their issues also but to my way of thinking less issues than high mileage units and I will gladly pay more for one!
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 06:14 PM   #9

I agree with most of the above regarding looking at the rig and see if it looks well cared for. Look for water leaks, look for un-workman like repairs. I bought a fairly low mileage rig about a year ago. Were there some issues? Yes. Am I going broke fixing them, no, but I do all the work myself. As far as your original question - "does it add valye?" Yes, a little in my book, but overall I don't think that the market values it a great deal, maybe 5%, but maybe not. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 06:39 PM   #10

To me an older very low mileage vehicle means it has sat a lot. You may be looking at New wheel bearings or even a crown wheel as it has rust where it was out of the oil bath. I would sooner see 5-10 k miles per year. Just me.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 07:35 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver1985 View Post

Thank you.
So you bought it? Hopefully you enjoy it as much as we enjoyed our Airstream Legacy 34 footer. Great rig with much better quality interior than most others.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote