Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2021, 04:58 PM   #15

Rather than typing my usual long post, type astrnmrtom and mice into the search box above. Before you do so, grab a glass of wine or a beer, a snack, and make yourself comfortable in your favorite chair. Gonna be a long read. On this subject I'm not a man of few words.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2021, 10:41 PM   #16

I took a lot of squirrel damage in the engine bay a few years back. I realized for them to chew they used places where they could stand or get support, like the flat area's under the engine harness and such. I got a couple cheap footballs from Walmart, then inflated them just enough to stuff those empty places and had no problem after that.
Col. Klink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 12:43 PM   #17

In an age of instant information I find it amazing and interesting that the old wives tales about repellents still persist. Google mice eating soap and watch mice eat various brands of soap on video. Same with dryer sheets which they use for bedding, they do not eat moth balls but will play with them, on and on ad nauseum.

HOneywell was sued and lost for their electronic repellers which do not work. So now they come on the market under various names, then go out of business and come back under another name!

I feed the neighborhood cats under my RV and do not have mice or squirrels. It is because I feed the cats there or I just do not have mice and squirrels?

jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:11 AM   #18

Thanks all for the responses.
Edwin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:13 AM   #19

interesting I had as well in my F150 3 times - it was one squirrel I had to kill finally. Kept truck in garage after that - I cannot get RV in garage and worry about it Thanks
Old 10-05-2021, 07:16 AM   #20

I believe it ! Waste of money - I did have a neighbor who had a radio hooked up under his hood to ward off a squirrel. It did work but every night he had to get his extension and radio and place under the hood - I never asked him what station
Old 10-08-2021, 12:18 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Bridges View Post
Place moth balls on the floor of the garage where van is stored. Will also work outside but they will “melt” with rain etc. They are effective and inexpensive.
Please do not do this, especially outside. Moth balls are insanely toxic to all kinds of animals, and if you scatter them outside around your RV, you basically turn your campsite into a toxic waste dump. Please do not do this.
Even worse, Moth Balls do not repel hungry mice:
Just so we're clear, I'm not worried about the precious mousies and ratties and squirrels who want to eat our wires and damage our RV's. I'm fine with kill traps. I'm fine with anything that achieves a relatively targeted effect. As a repellent, we use mint oil. For a kill trap, we've used a bucket trap with water in the bottom. Catches them and kills them dead.

Mint Oil at work:
Bucket trap:
Rocinante440 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mice