Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2021, 08:07 AM   #1

Mice and Squirrel avoidance

- Any suggestions to keep out mice, squirrels and such? I have had this issue in a pickup truck and the cost can be significant. Any solutions that work? I often open the hood and start my RV just to check and am gun shy since my truck incident.
Edwin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2021, 08:12 AM   #2

Fly bait @tractor supply mixed with peanut butter, 100%effective 100% of the time.
mickeybitsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:16 AM   #3

I'm using peppermint oil in my camper with mixed results.
I say mixed because after using it I found mouse activity. Ended up trapping it, put more oil down and saw another one.
I was using a mix of a carrier oil and peppermint.
I think the carrier oil actually brought them in.
Because I used almond oil stupidly. My cotton balls were disappearing and it took me a minute trying to figure that out.
So I moved to straight peppermint oil and it appears to be working now. I'm still experimenting.
I think I'm going to buy fir oil next as that is an ingredient in some over the counter products.
I dont like poison or sticky traps so that's my reason.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:41 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Nothing works except traps and poison. Peppermint oil, and all the acoustic devices, and soaps, are all extremely temporary in nature. Once the mice get used to it, it becomes ineffective.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:49 AM   #5

There are special wire wrapping tape.. the has capasion in it.. or use mace.. spray around on grass where parked.. spray mace around frame and fenders.. make up your own mixture with hot sauce and chili peppers.. of course glue and mice traps.. look on line for wire wrapping.. it is pricey.. I found mace the best.. good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you.. oh, I use the older expired mace I have around the house and replace the ones family carries with new..
Old 08-10-2021, 09:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
Nothing works except traps and poison. Peppermint oil, and all the acoustic devices, and soaps, are all extremely temporary in nature. Once the mice get used to it, it becomes ineffective.
I'll update if it eventually fails. I'm ok with my results so far.
I keep a roll of TP as a "sensor" they like to munch on it for bedding. So far it has worked well in alerting me. Problem with oils is you need to keep reapplying every 10 to 14 days.
I dont think they get use to it, it just fades in potency.
Acoustic devices suck, not worth the money, agree with that.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:26 AM   #7

Sprinkle used cat liter around the tires, and any other under-carriage or under hood area where mice can jump in. The smell of cat urine will keep them away. I’ve been using it successfully since last year. Leaving a open can of used cat litter inside the RV also helps.
Old 08-10-2021, 01:05 PM   #8

I rely on standard mouse traps placed in storage bays and in the motorhome. And, I inspect the rig monthly and exercise the generator. Without the Covid issue, I only have to worry about November December and a couple of weeks of January, and then we're off to sunny Florida with a return in the second half of March.

I used to subscribe to the dryer sheet strategy until I found a mouse nest that incorporated dryer sheets!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 01:33 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Leaving a open can of used cat litter inside the RV also helps.

That cure might be worse.
Old 08-11-2021, 06:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
That cure might be worse.
If you RV with your cat, you have to take along a liter box. Since it stays inside, it needs to be cleaned every other day. The odor of not heavily used cat liter is almost unnoticeable. Using lightly used liter in a can, I can’t even smell it when I enter the RV.
Old 08-11-2021, 10:28 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Must mix the pepper mint oil very thick and spray it around everywhere, I can smell it with the basement door closed. do engine compartment too. also I keep a couple of traps in the basement too. haven't caught any in a while...
Old 08-11-2021, 11:00 AM   #12

I had some success with certain peppermint blend sprays, but I actually had very good results with an under hood ultrasonic device that has LEDs. I put one of these under the hood of my motorhome and truck, and have had no rodents since. The motorhome especially was constantly being visited by what I believe was a squirrel. I'd find macadamia nuts and avocado pits from my backyard trees in the V10 valley. Put this in last December, and I haven't had any return. My truck only had a small mice nest, and I believe it happened at the dealership or before.

I downloaded an ultrasonic app, and it actually does put out ultrasonic that varies in pitch and volume.

https://www.amazon.com/Loraffe-Repel...ws_feature_div
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 09:04 AM   #13

For my RV and boat, I put out bait stations in various spots where they might find shelter. For vehicles not used daily, I use a bit of 1/4 inch hardware cloth to block critters from access to the air filter.
rogerstg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 04:40 PM   #14

Moth balls

Place moth balls on the floor of the garage where van is stored. Will also work outside but they will “melt” with rain etc. They are effective and inexpensive.
Twin Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mice