Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2020, 01:38 PM   #1

Motorhome horizontal propane tank removal

Looking for video to show me how to remove a horizontal propane tank from a motorhome . All I can find is removal tank for a trailor or fifth wheel tank which is not what I have .If you can help me fine if not can you redirect me to a link where I can find this information?

Thank you

Bigrog
Bigrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2020, 01:46 PM   #2

Empty LP tank....safety first
Disconnect LP regulator, hoses wiring *Anything connected to tank
Two floor jacks --- two people minimum to operate jacks and guide/stabilize tank
Remove bolts in mounting brackets and lower tank
Question is:
Will it come out from under that MH
OR will MH have to be lifted in order to get tank out from underneath
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:15 PM   #3

As OldBiscuit said. It will be a big job! Mine has brackets welded to the tank, top and bottom,and each end, and then matching brackets welded to the chassis rails, not easy even seeing the top bolts.
Why do you want need to take them out? They are refilled by taking the MH to a propane supplier, or having a propane delivery truck come to you. There is no expiry date on them , only need replacing if damaged or SEVERE rust comprising safety.
If it is to be able to get propane without driving the MH, add an extend a stay fitting before your regulator and use portable cylinders beside the MH.

Ken
Kenny Loney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:42 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm curious why you are removing it?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:13 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I know why...

I know why I'm removing mine... I don't want a third type of energy consumable. It's a pain to get more LP gas, and not a pain to get more electricity (plug or solar), and it's not a pain to get more diesel (which I already have).

Further, LP is not 100% safe, or we wouldn't have carbon monoxide detectors.

We are removing the tank, then: replacing the furnace and hot-water heater with a hydronic system, and replacing the stovetop with an induction heater and an outdoor grill. Yes, induction is an energy hog, but so is the microwave... neither are used very long, so it's not a large issue as long as we have lots of solar -- and we will.

Finally, the tank is heavy and large so I'd rather have the space for my 25kWh worth of LiFePO4 batteries.

That's my answer.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:01 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon5 View Post
I know why I'm removing mine... I don't want a third type of energy consumable. It's a pain to get more LP gas, and not a pain to get more electricity (plug or solar), and it's not a pain to get more diesel (which I already have).

Further, LP is not 100% safe, or we wouldn't have carbon monoxide detectors.

We are removing the tank, then: replacing the furnace and hot-water heater with a hydronic system, and replacing the stovetop with an induction heater and an outdoor grill. Yes, induction is an energy hog, but so is the microwave... neither are used very long, so it's not a large issue as long as we have lots of solar -- and we will.

Finally, the tank is heavy and large so I'd rather have the space for my 25kWh worth of LiFePO4 batteries.

That's my answer.

Babalyon5
Remember your motorhome It will still need the CO detector, your propulsion engine still makes that dangerous gas, be it diesel or gasoline.
604eholston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:10 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Welllll,... technically true. But, diesel fumes are a mix of noxious gases that can be detected by humans pretty easily, and only really are emitted when driving. LP (and other) gas burning in furnaces, water heaters, and cookers produces almost odorless CO and could emit at any time.

So, as long as I don't use the genset overnight I'll be great without one. My electrical system and batteries will cover me in that respect, and even emergency use would only be during day and only sporadically. I no longer consider the genset as anything but an emergency backup.

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604eholston View Post
Babalyon5
Remember your motorhome It will still need the CO detector, your propulsion engine still makes that dangerous gas, be it diesel or gasoline.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:48 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
OK, well... after I received a particularly nasty response (which was removed by admins), I went back to my wife with my thought process about removing the CO detector. She said she agreed that technically it was true what I said, but that if it was already wired in she wanted to keep it.

Further, she pointed out that if I install the hydronic (DIY AquaHot) heater, then it will generate exhaust, even sometimes in middle of night... so, its still a good idea.

Sorry to take the thread off topic.

To recap, I still think that a motorhome with diesel and electric can operate without LP gas at all. I mean to prove it.

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon5 View Post
Welllll,... technically true. But, diesel fumes are a mix of noxious gases that can be detected by humans pretty easily, and only really are emitted when driving. LP (and other) gas burning in furnaces, water heaters, and cookers produces almost odorless CO and could emit at any time.

So, as long as I don't use the genset overnight I'll be great without one. My electrical system and batteries will cover me in that respect, and even emergency use would only be during day and only sporadically. I no longer consider the genset as anything but an emergency backup.

David
Old 06-13-2021, 07:35 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Continuation thread

To continue any interest in my solution to no-LP method, can look here: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/new-adventures-of-grace-2000-monaco-windsor-pb-remodel-539353-2.html
Old 07-13-2023, 07:57 AM   #10

I want to remove mine because there is no accepted way to repair the built in OPD/Overflow prevention device which has jammed up and prevents any refill of the propane tank. The tank will be replaced if I can find someone to remount it. Takes 3 people by my reckoning or a small transmission jack.

Several vendors have attempted a refill without any being accepted. Tank is 30% on both in house and tank gauges so it has to be purged first or just blown off as most seem to do.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I have no room to carry external tanks.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 08:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
I want to remove mine because there is no accepted way to repair the built in OPD/Overflow prevention device which has jammed up and prevents any refill of the propane tank.

Have you talked directly with someone at the tank manufacturer? That info is usually stamped on the tank itself, including model number.

Difficult to believe it is not replaceable.
Old 07-13-2023, 08:28 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
I want to remove mine because there is no accepted way to repair the built in OPD/Overflow prevention device which has jammed up and prevents any refill of the propane tank. The tank will be replaced if I can find someone to remount it. Takes 3 people by my reckoning or a small transmission jack.

Several vendors have attempted a refill without any being accepted. Tank is 30% on both in house and tank gauges so it has to be purged first or just blown off as most seem to do.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I have no room to carry external tanks.
I don’t understand your problem. I was a service manager at a rv dealership for 15 years. In that time we replaced the opd on several tanks. You simply remove the four bolts and pull the device out of the tank.
Old 07-14-2023, 04:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Have you talked directly with someone at the tank manufacturer? That info is usually stamped on the tank itself, including model number.

Difficult to believe it is not replaceable.
Yes, its a Manchester. The tank was custom made for a Forest River range of product but they have mutually severed their relationship. So a replacement would have to be custom made for me but will not include the mounting flanges or brackets which were further outsourced by Forest River for their MHs.

So I am looking for a machine shop that will attempt to recreate my mounting brackets using a digital scan. Cost is approaching $10K with the tank, the flange design, fab, paint, purge, remove, replacement of valves and reinstall.

I don't doubt that a fully equipped RV shop could do the bulk of this, but I don't believe these exist since Covid. They can do part removal and replacement but that's about it.

No different with a home - planned obsolescence of HVAC and other appliances. Try and get refrigerator parts for a 10 year old unit.
Old 07-14-2023, 04:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I don’t understand your problem. I was a service manager at a rv dealership for 15 years. In that time we replaced the opd on several tanks. You simply remove the four bolts and pull the device out of the tank.
You would think so but the RV shops in the DFW area all say (six of them I have contacted) that they have never done this and would not attempt it; or they cannot purge the tank in the first place so the OPD is a non starter; or (get this) they have no idea what an OPD means; or if I cannot find a replacement OPD myself they have no way they can do that as these are not sold any longer.

All half truths I suppose but indicative of how precarious this industry has become. In essence, if we are unable, unwilling or unsuccessful as our own general contractors for RV systems, we should not expect continuing use from them. On my 2021 delivery, I have replaced every single system either under warranty or my own nickel except for the slide. Many other owners have had to replace their slide mechanisms either entirely or at least electrically. And this is a so called quality product inasmuch as they ask for and get MSRPs in the top 25% for the class.

Tags
horizon, motor, motorhome, propane, removal, tank