Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2012, 04:47 AM   #1

need advice on which to buy van or pick up truck with cap ????????? to live in

Hello Everyone , I am new here I have 5 grand to spend on either a Van or Pickup Truck with a cap on it , I will be buying this to live in as I have lost my job and I will be selling at local flea markets to make money I will also be traveling from state to state and boon docking when I can , Now my questions to everyone is should I buy a Van to live in or a Truck with a cap ? and if so what should I look for as for mileage wise ? and I would like to get a deep cycle battery with a solar panel to run an electric blanket in the winter and to charge my 12 volt TV with antenna and my laptop and cell phone , I will also be putting a bed in the van or in the truck , any ideas would be great sometimes I will be camping as well , thank you all
van_travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #2

I think you're going to be very limited on a van or a pickup with a shell for your budget of $5K. My suggestion is, since your budget is limited, look for either and buy the best condition vehicle you can find in that price range. The issue with purchasing a relative inexpensive van or pickup is you can easily end up with worn out mechanicals, old tires, rust, etc, which can end up costing more to fix and maintain than you spent for the vehicle initially.
Just one man's opinion who has 72 years of life under my belt and owned over 60 vehicles of every shape and size. Good luck with your hunt.
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #3

I would look for a 3/4 or 1 ton van in your price range. Believe me crawling thru window or walking to tailgate to access is no fun. With van you can build what you need. I did a conversion on 1 ton ford and it was cheap and very functional.. Also if your flea mkt business does well you can get a covered trailer to pull. good luck jim w
Old 11-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would look for the best hightop van (class B) converstion I could find. They are really cheap in my area, because they were mostly built on American full-sized vans and sucked gas like it was free.

Used Pick-up trucks will probably be used hard, but even if you find a nice pick-up, the trick is finding a slide-in that is livable for a reasonable price...they are still popular (not cheap) in my area.

Sorry for your hardtimes and best of luck!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #5

I'd look for small cheap older travel trailer and once you found that buy a truck that will tow it. Best of luck.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #6

I'd suggest a van with a raised roof. It took 3 minutes to find the below van. If you're patient you will find one someone really wants to get rid of.

Ford high top van for sale - Yakaz Cars

87 Ford Full Custom hightop Van (nnj)
Spring Lake 07762, NJ, United States - 2 weeks ago on craigslist.org
For Sale $4,000ford van automaticHere is my 87 Ford Full Custom High Top Van. Fully loaded. Color tv, vcr. Mood lighting. Custom wheels. Sleeps 2 in the bed and 2 more in the ...Used only during the spring and summer months for vacations. This van was the very top of the line custom van you could order. Cost 30g new back in 87. ...
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #7

I would go with a van. You could always run the engine to stay warm in a pinch. Just maybe you could find a mid 80's or early 90's small chassis 'C' that is mechanically ok. I saw these years class 'C' MH on a dealer lot by me and I believe they would sell these for 3 - 5k. Ugh - gas mileage not going to be a strong point. A lot of RV dealers have a row of mid 80's early 90's class 'C' usually in the back. If the list price is $7,999. They may take 4k. I would look at a dealership to get an idea of what will / will not work for you.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote