Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2022, 06:38 PM   #1

Angry Need help with cleaning black tank on macerating toilet

I've read pages of the forum on cleaning black tanks. I'm great at cleaning black tanks! i've had three travel trailers and developed a system that works for me. I always do TWO fresh water flushes after every draining of the tank -- for my seasonal, thats two complete 40 gal fills. For my Tab teardrop, its two 6gal fills. But now I have a Class B with macerating toilet and apparently it pumps out when I push the button. Mine has the regular size 3" diameter drain hose. With my gravity drain tanks, i just hold the handle open and the tanks fills. This macerating toilet works on electricity, flushes and then the seal closes. HOW DO I FILL THE TANK WITH FRESH WATER, OR EVEN THE CHEMICALS I USE TO DO A GOOD SOAK? Is it true that 1-3" of liquid will always stay in my black tank? If so, can i assure it is water, or water + chemical and not left over brown liquid -- yuk? Please help!
mrlynch1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2022, 08:37 AM   #2

Our unit actually has a "washout" connection that sprays / rinses the inside of the black tank so we can do what you describe, but not all units have one. Is there any chance your van has something like that?

Oh, here's another possibility - I think you said the black and grey tanks gravity dump via a standard 3" connector. If so, how about washing the black tank out with something like this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002UHVAA/
Rocinante440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 03:15 PM   #3

What make/model/year is your class B
Knittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 03:28 PM   #4

Can't fill macerating toilet/black tank

Thank you to those who replied. I do not know the brand of my macerating toilet but I have a hymer class B. It is a Carado BNFF. What I want to do is fill it with water and cleansers but these macerating toilets have a black seal and it opens to flush (on 12V DC) and closes when done. This this is an electric mechanism, I don't think there is anything I can do to change it; that is, to leave the seal open so i can dump water in with a hose. It has been suggested that I use the hose extension that swivels around and sprays water into the black tank, but I'm afraid forcing the black seal to stay open would break something. Also, isn't the whole idea of the macerating system that the black tank is NOT underneath the toilet location? In my case, I believe it is, but I've learned that the waste is "pumped" from the toilet to the tank, usually located somewhere else?
Old 04-25-2022, 03:36 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You have a macerating toilet so you don’t need to worry about it as much. If you want a bunch of water in there, have you tried a bucket? Just fill the bowl and flush. Although I don’t think you need to put a bunch of water down there to keep the tank clean.
Old 04-25-2022, 03:38 PM   #6

We use liquid chemicals. Pour in toilet as flushing might need another flush or two.
Not most convenient, could always flush toilet bunch of time to fill with fresh water to rinse. Faster if not in water save mode. Assuming two flush modes
Old 04-25-2022, 03:58 PM   #7

cleaning tank with macerating toilet

idk if i have two flush modes. this is all new to me. there are no buttons near the toilet, just the foot pedal. i can hold it down to flush and i can hold it down just a little (less depressed) to fill. i have read that with these, there is always 1-3 inches of liquid that stays in the tank. I've never gotten clear water to come up of this black tank when i "try" to flush it with water and then pump out with the red button. it is always dirty looking so i assume that is sitting in the bottom of my black tank all of the time? i've also read that you can drive up on blocks on one side and slant your van to get more of this sludge out? These toilets are not supposed to smell and mine does.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:13 AM   #8

We had macerating toilets on our boat and they pretty much liquified everything. They had to because the pump out was 8 feet about the tank. I would expect yours also liquifies the solids so I would just flush a few times, drive around a bit to stir things up, and then dump and not worry about the residue. When storing I would flush once or twice with RV antifreeze to keep liquid in the tank.
magicbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 09:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlynch1953 View Post
Do you have the Manuel for your toilet? Or model number? Try to search
On ours hold pedal down for like 15 seconds to change modes. Water save mod is flush right away and water does not run as long to refill bowl ( lower level). Non water save is push pedal water runs for several seconds then flushed and water runs after to fill bowl more.
If no black tank flush in wet bay could try pouring water in toilet flush while pouring in more keep repeating till tank full. PITA sure but for the time being might help. While you figure out better easier solution.
Good luck
DerekF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, black tank, need help, tank, toilet