Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2022, 12:14 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
New Thor Tellaro 2023 - What all do I need?

Couldn't resist, had to have that 'Weekend / Long Weekend' adventure machine.

So, picked up a 2023 Tellaro. 2x100amp/hr Lithium, 190w solar panel; no generator (other than the engine alternator - I guess that qualifies).

The transaction with the dealer was a pleasure, however everybody was new and didn't know many of the details about unit, other than the price and the very basics.

I'll have to experiment and post to find out details - I suck at reading manuals, rather hear experience or watch a YouTube.

I have a Class A (Bounder), with enough room to pack my entire life worth of stuff in it compared to this thing, so I don't have the 'do I need it, does it fit' mentality yet.

I'm thinking most of my travels with this are long weekends and long hauls between VRBO's (CA, AZ, FL). And of course, as a '1956-Boomer' -- I have to do Burning Man after it gets it's first scratch.

Would like to hear about mods/accessories/must haves...

On my short list:

Anderson (or similar) leveling blocks (do I go with a set of 2, 4 or ??)
Hitch mounted storage - haven't found one yet - if you have one you like post pics please.
Generally speaking, what do you store where - what goes in overheads, under bed...etc. Just looking for ideas.
Propane hose with quick disconnect
Maybe-2000watt dual fuel generator - just in case (is this worth it -- opinions welcome)
Maybe - additional 200W potable solar panel (enough, need more??? -- opinions welcome)
Wife wants know what to do about sheets/blankets - general sleeping setups

General Setups:
I have both Android and Apple phones, as well as the ATT FMCA hot spot, so my use-case for the Winegard is really limited. Performance through the Winegard to a hotspot chops the bandwidth down by at least 50%. Might as well just go direct to a phone or hotspot.

BMPro - downloaded and connected - seems to work well
The Balmar display - yuck but it works, very basic; buttons are awful - Has anyone added the BT Dongle, is it worth it?
RAM app - sure whatever...still waiting for it to complete my registration

Navigation:

the 2023 has a huge display. I can't comment too much on it's navigation, but it doesn't have nice features (traffic, poi's...etc). I can tell you it did a pretty good job getting from Elkhart, IN through Indiana Dunes National Park, to Oconomowoc, WI. It was in lock step with Apple maps and Google Maps.

The issue I have is that as soon as the vehicle recognizes my phone, it flips to Android Auto...depending on where we are, it may or may not have access to Google Maps and you don't have Nav; for instance we were in Indiana Dunes National Park - no cell service. Good news, I just flipped the screen back to onboard Nav and didn't have an issue.

So, if you have any tips, accessories you like...please suggest.

Oh yeah, how much do I have to travel in this thing before I can be 'cool' and start using #VanLife, not that I'll ever be cool...just wondering.

Ron
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2022, 07:28 AM   #2

Agree this is a great long weekend machine. We downsized from class A and totally different but glad we did. Much more practical and already 10000 miles in a few months where the class A had 28000 miles in 10 years.

Dealers suck. period. At least that is our experience. Good for paperwork and that's about it.

Accessories/Completed/Planned:
We bought a step rear bumper. Makes getting in the back a little easier.
Temperature sensor that connects to the BMPro. Useful when connected to Wifi and pet left in vehicle.

Sheets are XL Twin (I think). So far have not slept in it ashamed to say and only used for travel. Our 110lb Rhodesian Ridgeback loves them!

Planning to "mod" the A/C for better cooling when it is really hot. For 11000 BTU seems like it doesn't put out that great. There are many UTube videos of that to improve the hot/cold air separation.

Added a Progressive Industries 35 Amp Surge Protector (in line, no installation). Found out the hard way on our class A this is important.

Removed all the "TELLARO" badging. Sorry Thor but too much...

Planning to add a spare tire rack on the back next to the bike carrier at some point if possible. No spare on the Tellaro.

Updated the BMPRO using the installed Android. Pretty simple.

Completed one oil change myself which was simple with ramps. Recommended by 10000 miles but did it early due to break-in etc.
Just make sure you use recommended oil and keep receipts for warranty.

The sensors for Brake warning and lane assist sometimes work, sometimes don't. I have to constantly go into the software under "Safety" and add the Brake Warning that turns itself off about every time you shut the van off.

Winegard was set up and works but honestly not using it much. Not going to pay for cellular data when I have unlimited on my phone. Only thing it is good for is connecting to weak wifi signals unless paying for data. I renamed the connection without problem but probably couldn't duplicate it again.

Agree wish I could monitor the Balmar remotely. Probably the most useful gauge in the van.

Have not had any problems with the Car Play. My wife and I have separate user settings and connects as it should. We use Apple Phones.
Ram App is only good for locking and unlocking doors on ours. Rarely use. Would have been great if Thor wasn't so cheap and purchased the Van with Remote start but ours does not have. That is one option I really wish it had.

We only got one key fob with ours. Dealer probably lost the other one and agreed to get us another one. That was about three months ago and still waiting. Contacted Dodge dealer who said they are on backorder for probably at least three months.
Dealer also lost the bike rack keys. Got aggravated waiting for the dealer so went to a locksmith and had keys made.

Read your other post and hopefully hit the high points here.

Recommend checking out Thorforums.com, class b b+ section. Some good Tellaro information there specifically on the second alternator which I do not have since we have the 2800 Onan generator. Also Facebook has a Tellaro following I think but I don't do any of that or Twitter stuff etc.
Old 09-04-2022, 07:22 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I like the temp sensor idea. I'm going to order that along with the bluetooth gateway box for the Balmar. At first I wasn't all that impressed with it. Now that I had some time with it, its growing on me.

Surge protector - check, bought.

BMPRO Update - check

I did get the dash vs. android auto/CarPlay thing worked out.

Sheets - that's Kitchy's dept, gotta have matching color scheme...sure, ok - only have half the dog you have, nonetheless a bed hog. He already has 'claimed' his bed. Easy enough to get him to move, he hates the ceiling fan - hides in bathroom. I promise to make it comfortable for him.

I'll do oil every 5-10k Mobil 1. I do all that stuff myself.

Wingard is great if you want to cut your bandwidth at least by 50% (just the nature of amplifiers). Useless, if you have hot spots or phone plan. I guess in the 1 out of million chance that no cell signal, that it could bring in a WIFI hotspot from far away, its worth it.

I connected the BMPro to my hotspot, so I can remote connect anytime. I tried to configure the Winegard, but it gets hung up 'preparing'. It would allow the BMPro to switch the Winegard connection - I did a forget network, don't need it.

Ram is totally in-touch with their patrons - It's like they somehow figured out we all want to hit stuff head on and never use the brakes. That is annoying, having to turn that on every time I start the engine. Yep, their app is basically useless.

I still need to test every use-case, so far I drained the batteries with the A/C and charged them via shore power. That put the Balmar through 1 cycle. Still need to see how engine alternator (no generator) and solar behave.

My rig has a built in ATT hotspot, 22gig cap for around $20/month. If I didn't have the FMCA unlimited (ATT) and ATT phones...that might be a pretty good deal. I like to have a webcam running when it's sitting or we leave the dog.

I found a YouTube of a couple (Dylan and Leslie) that have one of these, he added second solar panel, claimed it to be a game changer. Seems about right.

I'm back/forth on additional storage - bumper box, or just a weather proof bag on the bike rack. I'll start with the bag, as our bikes (3-wheel recumbents) won't fit on the rack anyway. I'll end up with a small trailer and switch between bikes/ATV and room for everything else.

Spare tire would be ideal. There is plenty of room under the unit in the frame to mount a doughnut tire, might take a look at doing that.

So, the electrical engineer in me is frustrated as can be by all the mis-information. The Balmar shows one voltage, the BMPro shows a different voltage, drives me nuts. Voltage is measured, how hard can it be. I'll get into these devices sooner or later and figure out how to offset/calibrate them or I will terrorize support people until I find the right one who knows how.

I crawled around under the unit. There were exposed wires (not in split loom) all over. Spent a few hours cleaning that up...the assembly guy had one job that day and still couldn't get it done. It was pretty bad, stuff running through sharp edges in the frame.

I also saw that the undercoat wasn't sprayed everywhere, leaving bare metal. Easy enough to get a spray can and finish the job. Nit picking, but for 100k+ you think they would actually give a snit.

I'll post more as a learn about the systems. So, far so good, but I have no expectations that everything is going to be perfect, but it will be after I get at it.

Ron
Old 09-04-2022, 08:16 AM   #4

I am curious about the bluetooth for the Balmar and have not seen that anywhere? Let me know when you get that and about installation etc. because think that would be a worthwhile addition.

Agreed about the voltage being different on the BMPro vs Balmar. I don't believe the BMPro updates as often as the Balmar is more "real time" but still too much difference on voltage to be correct. It is too bad also I can't seem to get real time data when away from the van through LTE vs WIFI. The BMPro data is supposed to be updated to the "cloud" but still not able to connect with real time data unless on the same WIFI as the van.

After checking with my wife she said no to the XL size of twin sheets. Standard are adequate and a little too wide but easily fixed by tucking them in somewhat.

Agree the Dodge safety additions for braking is rather useless. There is also a "drowsy" monitor that tells you to get your hands on the wheel which goes off randomly and very annoying. Can't seem to get that to stay off!

One guy on another forum has reported problems with the Serpentine belt being too close to a coolant hose and wondering if you have checked that? His is a 2022 Tellaro and Thor probably corrected yours already but thought I would mention.

No room underneath mine for a spare tire of any size because the generator takes up all that space. We are near Tampa and there is a guy here I am checking with that mounts a spare tire carrier on the opposite door of the bike rack so doing some more research on that. When I checked with him a few weeks ago he said their installed price on that would be about $800.

Noticed on your "short list" you have propane quick connect/disconnect listed.
Mine has that installed from Thor. There is a "huge" recall on those effecting literally thousands of campers (many manufacturers including Thor). Be aware of that if you look at making that change. The dealers are aware of it but ignoring it I believe due to the sheer magnitude of what it would do to their service departments.

The temperature sensor I mentioned I found on Amazon but can be purchased from the BMPro website directly. Cost is about $50 and some people use them to monitor the refrigerator temperature but I never really saw the need for that.

Good Information and safe travels!
Old 09-04-2022, 09:10 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here is the bt dongle

https://www.amazon.com/CDI-Electroni...7-93deae8f9840

Have to study the schematics, but I'm guessing the diff is that they both use two different shunts.

I have the quick disco, I was thinking I could just get a quick disco to male (same fitting as on a 20lb tank). I soon realized how dangerous that would be, and that the quick disco is already regulated. I'll swap out the hose on the fire pit. The propane system was thoroughly (right) checked by the dealer, as they had to replace the solenoid to get it to work. I hate working with gas/water fittings. I doubled checked their work...looks ok. I'll check the recall on the fitting nonetheless.

I have a button just below the climate controls that turns off the lane assist, that also seems to turn off the 'get your hands on the wheel' nag-ware.

I got the BMPro to cloud connect. I do have a dedicated hot spot. I went into the Android networking, had it forget the Wingard network, then had it connect to the hot spot. Now the Android tablet has an internet connection. I then followed their procedure to create a cloud account, download the phone app...works great, and updates are now really easy. Even if you only connect to your phone from time-to-time, having it forget the Winegard is a plus.

I have to confirm with a few more tests, seems that the engine charges the chassis battery first, then the house battery (makes sense). I think the charge controller monitors the chassis battery charge current, when it reaches a threshold it then engages/disengages a relay to switch to the house battery. I hope it works that way. Only tested, drain/fill via shore power, so far.

Ron
Old 09-04-2022, 11:46 AM   #6

Thanks for the link for the BT dongle. Looks like simple installation once you find the port to plug in to. Let me know when you get that done and may order one.
Old 09-05-2022, 08:39 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I haven't located the Balmar shunt yet, it can plug in there.

My guess it's in the wiring mess near the batteries.

I'll be under this thing for next day or so, after testing, I found that the Balmar alternator isn't charging the coach batteries.

I posted the long version over on the ThorForums - Class B forum.

I'll be shorter here.

Tested charging from shore power to 100% - works like a charm
Ran A/C to discharge the batteries to at least 60%
Stared Engine - expecting to see coach battery voltage at charge levels

Nope, Balmar shows -2 amps or so. Alternator is not charging coach batteries. Measured voltage at alternator it's at battery level, clamp on ammeter showed no current - confirming alternator is not charging.

Tested with inverter on and off - no change.

Chassis battery is showing 14.1 volts engine running / 13.1 or so not running- so its charging. Not sure how to explain that, given no current from the Balmar, must have two alternators...dunno. Kinda tight getting under the front of the vehicle without lifting it...which will be my next move.

Turned everything off - measured battery voltage at alternator positive output, so 300amp fuse is good. Followed alternator output (blue taped red wire), to rear of coach. It's a home run to the positive terminal block - no regulator. That's more than a minor concern, unless the alternator has one built in - some do.

I looked up the part number - no info at Balmar for specific part XT-PM-170-K6 170A 12V, PM MT, K6 SERP PULLY - DATED 2/15/2022

A poster on the Thor site said there are two 'yellow' buttons somewhere under the coach near the sliding door, I should check. The other thing he said, was to check the 'left' side 15amp fuse. I didn't find it blown, going to check the others tomorrow. (stupid me didn't check them all when I was in the 'Downward Check Fuses' Yoga pose)

After reviewing the schematics, I confirmed what I found under the RV. No regulator, no disconnect between battery positive and alternator.

An aside, they didn't fuse the incoming solar or provide a disconnect - additionally, apparently the solar controller is so awful looking they hid it under a plastic panel in the rear wardrobe.

I'm hopeful there is a simple solution, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll make the dreaded calls to Thor and Balmar tomorrow, see where that goes.

Apparently, this isn't an isolated event. There were a bunch of people posting 'I have the same issue'...not one solution, yet.

I'm not 100% worried, for a around $300 I can carry a small generator when we boondock. Just another PITA I hoped to avoid.

Ron
Old 09-06-2022, 11:27 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
The other place it might be able to be plugged in is near the regulator. Just talked with Thor to find where it is. Posted in another thread - basically under passenger seat, in engine compartment or behind microwave.

Based on my current issue, I want the BT module badly - ordering today. I want to verify the configuration of the regulator itself - which seems to be at the heart of my issue (alternator not developing field/charging).

Ron
Old 09-06-2022, 05:00 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmueller View Post
The other place it might be able to be plugged in is near the regulator. Just talked with Thor to find where it is. Posted in another thread - basically under passenger seat, in engine compartment or behind microwave.

Based on my current issue, I want the BT module badly - ordering today. I want to verify the configuration of the regulator itself - which seems to be at the heart of my issue (alternator not developing field/charging).

Ron
Found the place to plug it in...on the back of the display. The regulator is plugged into the shunt.

Also solved my issue - see other post Tellaro Lithium Problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220906_154218.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	375655  
Old 09-07-2022, 06:55 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Oh yeah, I found the Balmar shunt, right under the passenger side bed headrest...what a mess. I ended up following the blue/white wires off the alternator under the coach, till I found where they poked up through the floor, then took stuff apart till I found this.

This will be one of my winter projects, to straighten this out. There is actually enough room for a bit more storage if this was cleaned up.

Also adding a switch on the refrigerator power; getting tired of pulling the fuse. No need to run it while the master power is on and the unit is sitting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220906_163144.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	286.7 KB
ID:	375722  
Old 09-09-2022, 08:41 AM   #11

Sounds like you are getting this figured out! Pretty sad Thor does not inspect for these problem before shipping these out.

Been on the road a couple of days and may try the bluetooth for the Balmar when we get back so thanks for providing the location! We just turned over 10000 miles with no major problems so considering myself lucky. Looks like on the back of the display would be pretty simple. I have a similar wire mess under my passenger bed but everything is working so will tackle that at a later time.

My refrigerator has an "off" position by rotating the switch to "0". However if you want to leave the door open when not using the light stays on which is not good. For now just been putting tape over the pressure switch. Would be a good idea to put a switch on it and may do that later.
Old 09-09-2022, 11:28 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yep, gett'n there.

Leaving on maiden voyage today. We shall see how it goes, my guess is I have the issues under control.

Cleaning the wiring up, adding switches are good projects before the unit goes into storage for the winter.

There is another item I'm going to look for...a temp sensor on the Balmar alternator. If it doesn't have one, I'm going to add it. Might take a bit of programming on the regulator with the bluetooth dongle it's through a phone app (youtube how-to).

I did read about the batteries - they don't seem to have them rated below -4F, and they recommend storage at >23F...-4F is a nice warm winter day, 23F is a heat wave in Wisconsin. I'm a bit worried about when it actually gets cold here.

It seems the batteries have some type of internal heating, not totally sure how it works or when...like only when charging at lower temps...etc. Probably have to call the help desk at the manufacturer.

I"m planning on adding thermostatically controlled heating pads. I'll use 'seed starting' heating pads with the thermostatic controller. They are pretty cheap on Amazon.

Removing the batteries isn't practical, doable, but it looks like a huge project.

Ron
Old 09-09-2022, 12:41 PM   #13

I asked Relion the question a while ago about the batteries and temperature etc. I am trying to figure this out too but live in NC so not anywhere comparable to your location. I am hoping the batteries are not that difficult to remove but have not looked at it yet. I don’t think they are near as heavy as some of the others so
that should help somewhat.

I have included Relion’s response:

Robert,

We received your form.

My understanding is that two 12VRB100LT’s (low temp) are installed in theses Thor Coaches at the OEM level.

Both can discharge down to minus 4 F. The difference is that the LT battery will take any charging current below 32 F and route it to the heater.
When the battery warms up to 32 F, it then can charge at full recommended or max ranges.

The idea is that below 32 F you can only charge the battery between 5 and 10% of the rated capacity. In this case, 5-10 amps.

The LT pushes the temp up to 32 and above so you don’t have to live within those thresholds.

100% charge is fine but most store at 50% and take off the charger. There is no need to trickle charge these lithium batteries.
Old 09-11-2022, 09:06 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
That makes sense, now I have to crawl under the thing and make sure they put the LT's in.

Tags
thor