RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-11-2021, 10:23 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEATLES View Post
Just haven't figured out yet how to do.a spare tire carrier. Hornet outdoors.com has a new swing -away style one I'm planning to look at.
Look also at StowAway2, which has a swing-away hitch carrier for cargo boxes and other things. I just got their largest box on the swing-away frame, and it's very well made.

https://www.stowaway2.com/swingaway-hitch-frame

Hornet Outdoors seems to cater to quads and such, and the hitch may not be heavy enough for an LT tire. But I don't know that.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2021, 11:32 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEATLES View Post
Just haven't figured out yet how to do.a spare tire carrier. Hornet outdoors.com has a new swing -away style one I'm planning to look at.
This has worked for almost 2 years now. https://www.savethecolors.com/?p=14078

How to turn a Winnebago $1000 bike carrier into a $50 spare tire carrier.

I have detected no problems with hinges, etc. as the door is closed 99% of the time. It works for me as we don't ride bikes anymore. I might add, I have had spare tires for my Sprinter, Travato, numerous other RVs and travel trailers; gone to Alaska and many, many offroad places and NEVER used a spare. So on my new Travato (ordered) I am going to temp the gods and not carry one. Knock on wood!
Old 02-21-2021, 11:48 PM   #31

Problem is... someday we might need the spare

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmessinger View Post
This has worked for almost 2 years now. https://www.savethecolors.com/?p=14078

How to turn a Winnebago $1000 bike carrier into a $50 spare tire carrier.

I have detected no problems with hinges, etc. as the door is closed 99% of the time. It works for me as we don't ride bikes anymore. I might add, I have had spare tires for my Sprinter, Travato, numerous other RVs and travel trailers; gone to Alaska and many, many offroad places and NEVER used a spare. So on my new Travato (ordered) I am going to temp the gods and not carry one. Knock on wood!
You never need a spare until you need one....

Go ahead, roll the dice 🎲 ...it all depends where you are going I suppose..... but, the time and convenience of not having it will one day prove to be a huge problem...... and expensive at that.

I certainly wouldn't go too far off the grid without a spare tire. Even if you can't change it yourself, the mere fact of carrying one will certainly get you back on the road a lot faster...... and then there's the availability of bringing one to your location and the time finding a suitable replacement. Depending on where and how far away you are this could be a very challenging situation.....

Trip interruption.... and your safety.....
You can't put a price on safety.
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:38 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
We definitely don't boondock like we used to and another trip to Alaska would be great but not likely so I may take the gamble. Or this time, since I will have a roof rack maybe put a spare up there like some have done. Meanwhile I'll have to carry my horse shoe, rabbits foot, 4-leaf clover and a wishbone. Or buy a sat phone.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:26 AM   #33

Roof rack or satellite phone 📞📱?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmessinger View Post
We definitely don't boondock like we used to and another trip to Alaska would be great but not likely so I may take the gamble. Or this time, since I will have a roof rack maybe put a spare up there like some have done. Meanwhile I'll have to carry my horse shoe, rabbits foot, 4-leaf clover and a wishbone. Or buy a sat phone.
I kinda like the rabbit's foot and 4 leaf clover ideas, but since those don't exist.... yes, it only leaves you two choices......

Hmm, that rooftop spare tire is going to be a little difficult to get down... hope you have a ladder. And just lowering that from 10 feet is not an easy task.....

I'd go with the satellite phone.....
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote